• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State Hires Mark Gottfried...

84Deac

Duck Commander
Reaction score
NT

ETA: Didn't realize it was already posted on other thread.

That's the bastard that went after AT&T after Skip died, right?

Dang. The dude has been out of coaching since 2009 and his only connection to bball since then has been as a honorary board member for the Athletes in Action. First reaction is that this is a more bizarre hire than [Redacted].

I mean it's fun to laugh at State for another comically embarrassing coaching search but this is sort of humiliating for the ACC in some ways.

Also, I can only laugh at this for so long until I realize that objectively, Gottfried has a far superior collegiate coaching record to the guy we just hired. So that sort of sucks.

Rumor on the State Scout premium boards is that Dino's coming on too as an assistant.

Rumor. RUMOR. Rumor. RUMOR. Rumor.

Rumor on the State Scout premium boards is that Dino's coming on too as an assistant.

They probably got to know each other doing the ESPNU gig.

I actually think it would be a decent move for State.

I mean it's fun to laugh at State for another comically embarrassing coaching search but this is sort of humiliating for the ACC in some ways.

Also, I can only laugh at this for so long until I realize that objectively, Gottfried has a far superior collegiate coaching record to the guy we just hired. So that sort of sucks.

This is very humiliating for the ACC. Tech and State have a lot of tradition and I honestly think both are just the right coach away from being perennial Top 25 programs. They ended up with a mediocre coach from Dayton and a disgraced SEC coach.

Now our last hope is that Miami hits it out of the park.

They probably got to know each other doing the ESPNU gig.

I actually think it would be a decent move for State.

Agreed. Dino seemed to be a pretty solid assistant under Skip re: recruiting and working with post players.

This is very humiliating for the ACC. Tech and State have a lot of tradition and I honestly think both are just the right coach away from being perennial Top 25 programs. They ended up with a mediocre coach from Dayton and a disgraced SEC coach.

Now our last hope is that Bzzz runs back to the NBA and Wake hits it out of the park.
FIFY

IF that is true and IF the rumor of him going after AT&T after Skip died that would be bizarre IMO.

maybe this will reverse the nut punch curse?

I'd be surprised if Dino ended up at NCSU but if that happened I think it would huge for Gottfried and State. Dino was a very good assistant and recruiter. His recruiting and knowledge of the game likely only improved with experience as a HC.

Back