• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State Of The Program

I wanna know exactly who you want us to hire. We need to follow their career, because you certainly seem to think you know a whole hell of a lot more than everyone else in the world. Don't comeback with some smart ass remark, I want one name, thats it.
Wait a second. I gave names and was blasted. During each of the last 3 hiring cycles I’ve pushed Wes Miller and Pat Kelsey. Their careers have turned out pretty damn good.

I’m still naming names. I’ve been naming Kevin Giltner and Justin Gray. They are still both in their 30s. Let’s see how they do.

Who are your choices so we can follow along as well?

Wait a second. I gave names and was blasted. During each of the last 3 hiring cycles I’ve pushed Wes Miller and Pat Kelsey. Their careers have turned out pretty damn good.

I’m still naming names. I’ve been naming Kevin Giltner and Justin Gray. They are still both in their 30s. Let’s see how they do.

How has Wes Miller at Cinci performed considerably better than Forbes?

I’m all for Pat Kelsey

Did you hear what I said about the last 3 cycles. Wes accomplished more at UNCG than we did at Wake during that time. He is the winningest coach 41 and under.

He is in year 3 at Cincinnati. He will need to make the tournament next season or he will be fired. That’s what normally happens if you miss the NCAAs after 4 tries.

As for Kelsey, I wish you had been all for him when we actually could have hired him. We missed.

Now name some names we haven’t missed out on yet

Did you hear what I said about the last 3 cycles. Wes accomplished more at UNCG than we did at Wake during that time. He is the winningest coach 41 and under.

He is in year 3 at Cincinnati. He will need to make the tournament next season or he will be fired. That’s what normally happens if you miss the NCAAs after 4 tries.

As for Kelsey, I wish you had been all for him when we actually could have hired him. We missed.

We need a new ad first. Your handpicked choice 1) hired Forbes against your advice and 2) extended him to where we can’t afford to fire him.

But you said Wake couldn't hire Pat Kelsey because of #1 nor Justin Gray because of #1 and #4.

Wake isn't allowed to hire Mack.

Wake isn't allowed to hire:
(1) Anyone who has connections to Skip Prosser
(2) Anyone who has had any controversy
(3) Anyone who has a family member who donates to Wake Forest
(4) Any alums
(5) Any sons of former Coaches.

We hire "the most qualified candidate" and therefore the one who is old and already peaked. Definitely not anyone who might have affection for MSD.

Pat Kelsey is a rising star, I don't think there's any doubt about it. Wes, I don't know, he's not getting it done so far, and he seems like a prick tbh.

Put JGray in the very interested to see how his next 3 years go camp for me. Favorite deac of all time.

I am in the camp of Forbes for sure has 1 more year. I have faith in him, but am completely fine with tourney or done expectations next season. At that point we will have a gauge on whether we keep him, Kelsey will likely be an option and potentially Wes as well. I don't think this is the offseason for the move just yet.

All in for Kelsey. The perfect blend of youth, enthusiasm, and basketball knowledge.

Never on Miller. He made the choice to go to play for the Blue Goats. No way I could put up with his constant references to how things were done in Crapel Hill or how much he was indebted to Roy. Never!

I think Gray needs 4 to 5 more years before a job like Wake. But certainly appears on the right trajectory. Kelsey would certainly be a solid hire.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Not what I asked. Forbes also won the socon twice like Wes did. I asked how has Wes performed better at Cinci than Forbes has at Wake

I don’t expect this, but if somehow we have a coaching vacancy and he’s still within reach, we should hire Bucky McMillan. Someone was asking for a name; that’s one. I’m convinced Bucky’s gonna be a star, and he appears to have the disposition that embraces a small school and would stick to it despite bigger offers.

If we come open it is blatantly obvious at the moment to try for Kelsey. Would he want to walk in Skips footsteps? IDK

Pat Kelsey is a rising star, I don't think there's any doubt about it. Wes, I don't know, he's not getting it done so far, and he seems like a prick tbh.

Put JGray in the very interested to see how his next 3 years go camp for me. Favorite deac of all time.

I am in the camp of Forbes for sure has 1 more year. I have faith in him, but am completely fine with tourney or done expectations next season. At that point we will have a gauge on whether we keep him, Kelsey will likely be an option and potentially Wes as well. I don't think this is the offseason for the move just yet.
Great analysis, my sentiments exactly.

Hardest part of evaluating young coaches who move frequently is figuring out how they will perform when they recruit and coach their own players. Some guys are good at getting better performance from previous coach's recruits.

Can JG recruit high school talent? Can he recruit the portal? Does he win because he recruits higher rated players than his conference peers, or is he able to "coach up" equal or lower rated recruits?

That was a very impressive performance by the Deacs vs. App. A 27 win mid major with a major chip about wake. Wake a disappointing end to the season and a lot of roster questions going into next year. But our guys stuck together and played very well. Beating App st at home in the NIT doesnt mean shit nationally etc. blah blah but to those that truly care about Wake hoops and are invested... that was a very important statement as to the mental state of the program.

Back