• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stay John Collins!

He would probably be on national TV more by staying than going depending on who drafts him.

That may be the best point anyone has made about this. Take kaminsky for example - he would be a decent backup/borderline starter that no one knows without the publicity he gained from staying at Wisconsin. Although admittedly I don't know if he had decent options to leave early to the NBA. Instead pretty much everyone knows who he is.

Talk about BMOC - John would be all over SI, ESPN, etc. all year long. Or - be at the end of the Wizards bench and people would forget who he is (for a while at least).

As a parent, I would be concerned about a son as young as JC going to the NBA (he is younger than most in his class). The NBA life-style devours guys with more years and experience, but the younger are even more vulnerable. I want to believe that the Wake staff and environment would be a safer place for a young man to mature. But then I probably view parenting a bit differently. Money is probably more important.

As a parent, I would be concerned about a son as young as JC going to the NBA (he is younger than most in his class). The NBA life-style devours guys with more years and experience, but the younger are even more vulnerable. I want to believe that the Wake staff and environment would be a safer place for a young man to mature. But then I probably view parenting a bit differently. Money is probably more important.

I'd be more concerned that he could do something that would jeopardize millions of dollars.

If he were to stay one more year and be a 'poster boy', seems like the endorsement/commercial opportunities would be greater still...and might mitigate some of the monetary 'loss' he could sustain. He presents himself well off the court, and strikes me as the kind of guy that has that 'commercial appeal'.

If he were to stay one more year and be a 'poster boy', seems like the endorsement/commercial opportunities would be greater still...and might mitigate some of the monetary 'loss' he could sustain. He presents himself well off the court, and strikes me as the kind of guy that has that 'commercial appeal'.

i

People seriously need to stop using the "he can just get insurance" rationalization.

If he gets "insurance", it may only cover the money he would lose in the draft not career earnings unless it's a catastrophic injury that keeps him from playing even in the Uruguayan B League.

who's rationalizing? just pointing out that insurance is part of the calculation here, has anyone else mentioned it in this thread?

It isn't a realistic part of the calculation. How many college basketball players, in history, have ever collected on those types of policies? Maybe 1 or 2, if that? The biggest reason being that career ending injuries in college basketball are virtually non-existent these days. ACL repairs are as routine as getting a filling, and even a "catastrophic" injury like Paul George was good as new after a reasonable recovery time. Really the only thing it protects against would arguably be an off-the-court injury like a car wreck or a heart condition, but I bet those are intentionally excluded from coverage.

The Jay Williams exemption?

Wake can pay for an insurance policy to try to entice him to stay, but in basketball it typically doesn't move the needle. As Ph alluded to, you're protected against getting your legs run over by a train or something - an accident that prevents you from ever playing basketball again in your life. Even if Collins tore his acl or achilles or something in the first game of the season next year, it's not like he'd give up basketball. He'd likely sign for a fraction of his value somewhere. Either through injury, poor play, a bad year by Wake - dropping off the draft map is the risk. Insurance is just a checkbox, it's not a decision factor.

As far as I can tell a basketball player has never collected on an insurance policy. Ever. It doesn't (and shouldn't) factor into the NBA decision making process.

I'd call it the reverse Chris Paul effect. We were told CP3 had to go because of the the endorsement money that was on the table (who knew State Farm would build a series of commercials around him).

John Collins is the unknown star, that leaving this year would get a 1st round contract, but likely zero endorsement money.

The upside of staying, he could be pre-season ACC POY, 1st team pre season AA, on the Wooden list. His team would be pre-season top 20. He knows he has Brown coming in that will make the team better, so he doesn't have to carry the team enabling Wake to be an ACCT contender and a Final 8 or better quality team. Wake would go from ESPN3 obscurity to national games with dook (note we didn't even get national TV with dook in 2 games this year) and UNC, where he would be showcased. After all of that he'd be a known commodity and could enter the NBA with endorsement contracts in his pocket.

What's the down side? Sure he could have a serious injury, but anyone of us could also be dead tomorrow. The other worry is that his game is overly scrutinized and he drops in the draft. His offensive game is solid and very developed, he's not a guard with 45% 3pt shooting that is at risk of having a bad shooting year. The core of his game is not going away. Given his level of improvement I'm guessing he would be able to improve his defense and he outside shooting (or at least extend his range).

Right now he's like a AFT, Teague or JJ. Can go to the first round but will be there in anonymity, stay and he can propel himself to the national spotlight and enter the NBA with much more hype.

I'd say that it the argument that could be made for staying.

Also just the fact that he is young. Another year of skill development, physical maturity would do him good.

I certainly hope Danny and staff are making these stupid arguments to Collins to try to get him to stay. If he is told he will go in the first round he should leave. Period. Giving any contrary advice only hurts Collins and Wake in the long-run.

Back