• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stay John Collins!

Wow. So he came back, was drafted 8th, and was a 20 year old rookie.

Age is extremely important in these discussions. If Collins started kindergarten a year later, he's probably a Top 30 prospect as a senior, maybe a late first projection as a frosh and a Preseason AA coming back as a sophomore.

Last edited:
He debuted at #4 on the next year's mock draft and fluctuated between 3-8 throughout the season. Eventually drafted 8th.

I am not aware that Dave Odom begged Tim to stay. Tim decided to stay and it worked out for him. Totally irrelevant to Collins' decision.

Odom said Tim should not come back for a final 4 as that would be the wrong reason to stay (I'm sure others can quote exactly). Remember 'the end is not the trophy'.

All that being said. DM just needs to give JC an honest assessment with all the facts and let him and his family make the decision.

Feelings over facts here, but I actually think there's a decent chance he comes back.

Age is extremely important in these discussions. If Collins started kindergarten a year later, he's probably a Top 30 prospect as a senior, maybe a late first projection as a frosh and a Preseason AA coming back as a sophomore.

Age is most important, class year is irrelevant to NBA teams. We keep bringing up how young JC is for his class because if he was a year old for his class instead of a year young for his class he would have to go. I've mentioned a bunch how old JJ and Teague were for sophomores so they really needed to go more than JC. JC would be younger than both when they were 1st round picks if he left after his junior year. He'd still be younger than JJ was if he left after his senior year.

Exactly. To that end, Duncan was 20 his entire senior season.

what we really keep forgetting is collins lived in the virgin islands! game. set. match. done. deal.

(he's gone)

Right. Because the only reason he improved this year was because he was 1 year older than last year.

Collins would be crazy to stay. Good-bye and heartfelt wishes for a great NBA career, John.

I don't like reading statements like these, people saying he is crazy or stupid or whatever if he doesn't go pro. That is not true. It may seem crazy to you, but money is not everything in this life for every single person. I have no idea what JC's value system is, but it bothers me to see people label him as a lunatic for even considering coming back to college.

Some of us who have been moderately successful financially in life and who come from financially stable backgrounds may look at it a little differently as well. There may be a significant difference in our minds between making $30 million in a career and $3 million. But who knows what JC's baseline is? Maybe two years ago he would have thought the NBA was a long shot, and the idea of making just a decent salary with a Wake degree was his ultimate goal. Now he is in a position to essentially be playing with house money. (Again I have no idea what his financial situation is, but I'm just throwing possibilities out there).

The bottom line is that there are a lot of factors that will play into this decision, and none of us know exactly what is best for John. I hope we can stop labeling him derogatory names for even considering doing something that seems counter-cultural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feelings over facts here, but I actually think there's a decent chance he comes back.
It comes down to his feelings either way doesn't it? I just don't sense he wants to leave....like I did Teague and Aminu.

I also don't get all this "he's crazy not to go" talk. He's young....so he will mature and will get bigger so he has the opportunity to move up in the draft like Aminu...and maybe he doesn't want to get thrown into the high pressure adult world yet. There's nothing crazy about that at all. He's said his family doesn't need the money either so there's no need to go.

Right. Because the only reason he improved this year was because he was 1 year older than last year.

Wow. You completely misunderstood my post.

Yeah somehow I don't think Collins jumps into the top 30 after another year beating up on inferior competition.

Maybe if Wake was to name a dorm after him, he would stay.

I don't like reading statements like these, people saying he is crazy or stupid or whatever if he doesn't go pro. That is not true. It may seem crazy to you, but money is not everything in this life for every single person. I have no idea what JC's value system is, but it bothers me to see people label him as a lunatic for even considering coming back to college.

Some of us who have been moderately successful financially in life and who come from financially stable backgrounds may look at it a little differently as well. There may be a significant difference in our minds between making $30 million in a career and $3 million. But who knows what JC's baseline is? Maybe two years ago he would have thought the NBA was a long shot, and the idea of making just a decent salary with a Wake degree was his ultimate goal. Now he is in a position to essentially be playing with house money. (Again I have no idea what his financial situation is, but I'm just throwing possibilities out there).

The bottom line is that there are a lot of factors that will play into this decision, and none of us know exactly what is best for John. I hope we can stop labeling him derogatory names for even considering doing something that seems counter-cultural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People use terms like crazy in this context without meaning it in a personal, derogatory manner. It's an expression. Whatever Collins chooses, I think he is neither actually crazy nor stupid.

But assuming it is his desire to have a career as a professional basketball player, IMO, he would be crazy to stay.

Bring in Sarr and a grad transfer to go along with Chaundee and Melo and its lookin really good even if we lose Collins.

Back