• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stay John Collins!

I just don't think people realize how highly unlikely this is if he did come back and how much money he would cost himself.

Oh totally agree. If he stays where's he's been on people's mock lists he would be making a horrible decision coming back. Even with what we saw as subpar effort in the last few games (which could honestly be wear and tear for someone who just turned 20) he probably won't drop lower than 20th, and I don't see him going that low at all. He's gonna be the first "upper classman" taken this year no matter what and there's really only 15 maybe 16 one and done guys ahead of him.

I think the money will be too difficult to resist. But he needs some perimeter game, I don't think he can bang against NBA centers or power forwards.

Yes. Absolutely. 100%. Without question.

Look, I love me some Collins. He's our best player, he's dominant when he wants to be on offense. But yes, when he scores zero blocks or steals on our side of the floor for the first time since our ACC opener against FSU - the hype took its toll. No bullshit - if he played for any other team you'd look at our critical games and see Bonzie crushing him and LeDay shooting 80% over 2 games - it'd be a huge issue. He was high offensive output but poor defense all year, and we were hoping he'd step it up in the tourney. He didn't. And our guards didn't play well enough to cover him.

Collins leaving is no worse than Devin graduating at this point.

Collins just posted one of the most efficient offensive seasons basically of all time. He was the only reason we were any good this year, even with his flaws. Losing him will be a massive massive blow.

Not to be Debbie downer, although we are all down anyhow, it doesn't matter who comes back. Crawford and Collins back means nothing. This team just gave up 95+ points in their last two postseason games. 95! Not to ucla. Not to Kentucky. Not to Duke. Not to unc.
The powerhouses of Virginia tech and Kansas state.

If wake doesn't fix the defensive problems it doesn't matter who is on the roster

Just my humble opinion
;)

Because if he comes back we're a preseason top 15 team and a top 3 ACC team. Even if we get no better defensively, we'll be even better offensively.

Not to be Debbie downer, although we are all down anyhow, it doesn't matter who comes back. Crawford and Collins back means nothing. This team just gave up 95+ points in their last two postseason games. 95! Not to ucla. Not to Kentucky. Not to Duke. Not to unc.

If wake doesn't fix the defensive problems it doesn't matter who is on the roster

Just my humble opinion
;)

But we just made the tournament on being a terrible defensive team all year. So we can score with the best of them but cant defend a lick. If we want to be more than a bubble team, it has to improve. But I firmly believe a couple of wing defenders would help a whole lot.

Yes. Absolutely. 100%. Without question.

Look, I love me some Collins. He's our best player, he's dominant when he wants to be on offense. But yes, when he scores zero blocks or steals on our side of the floor for the first time since our ACC opener against FSU - the hype took its toll. No bullshit - if he played for any other team you'd look at our critical games and see Bonzie crushing him and LeDay shooting 80% over 2 games - it'd be a huge issue. He was high offensive output but poor defense all year, and we were hoping he'd step it up in the tourney. He didn't. And our guards didn't play well enough to cover him.

Collins leaving is no worse than Devin graduating at this point.

We get he's a sub-par post defender. That's different from saying he mailed it in. He didn't. Did you see how many times he hit the floor tonight? Do you think that was just out of coincidence or lack of coordination?

And your last point is just moronic. SJM or Moore have shown no such potential as Collins did last year. So yeah, it would be much worse for our team.

Because if he comes back we're a preseason top 15 team and a top 3 ACC team. Even if we get no better defensively, we'll be even better offensively.

That's a little high I think....Top 25 and Top 8 ACC (preseason)

I think the money will be too difficult to resist. But he needs some perimeter game, I don't think he can bang against NBA centers or power forwards.

He can't but gotta strike while that iron is hot. If he was my son, I'd be telling him to leave. You can always go back and pay for the degree you are half way to.

But we just made the tournament on being a terrible defensive team all year. So we can score with the best of them but cant defend a lick. If we want to be more than a bubble team, it has to improve. But I firmly believe a couple of wing defenders would help a whole lot.

If Collins leaves, we're going to need more a couple of wing players. If Collins stays, you're right.

If you had to guess, how many teams will score at least 95 in a game the rest of NCAA tournament? Obviously including 1 vs 16

Over/under 2.5?

This is a Winter Storm Stella-cold take. You think he killed himself all season only to mail it in tonight? Makes no sense.

He could have killed himself MOST of the season, and then realized he was too high on the draft boards to risk going hard anymore. Makes perfect sense to me.

And seriously if anyone isn't convinced at this point that he's gone after watching that then you need to have your head examined. He put up good numbers in this game because he's really talented and efficient (hence why he is and should be gone) but he didn't exert much effort whatsoever. Didn't give a shit about lose balls, contesting shots, being a leader. You know, the things that win games.

Just my humble opinion
;)

Good points....but I don't think Danny Manning is a coach that is going to be able to do that. Good defense requires determination, discipline and effort.....and instilling those qualities in players requires a coach with fire and emotion in his gut.

Collins just posted one of the most efficient offensive seasons basically of all time. He was the only reason we were any good this year, even with his flaws. Losing him will be a massive massive blow.

On offense. Yes. And yes, replacing him will be difficult. But even the most efficient offensive player we have can't give up 20+ points-per-forward as our rim protector.

I certainly hope he'll stay. If he matured on defense we'd be a sweet 16 team next year.

LOL, Collins leaving is no different than Devin leaving? Are you for serious with this shit, DC? Collins had the highest PER in the country and it wasn't even really close. Overall, he was pretty much the only reason we were even marginally good this year. Who of SJM or Doral is stepping in to replace Collins in the same way Collins replaced Devin?

Collins sucks at defense but if you take Collins off the team for the whole year I doubt we would have finished with a better defensive rating than we did. Lots of poor defensive players around and behind him on that end of the court.

Good points....but I don't think Danny Manning is a coach that is going to be able to do that. Good defense requires determination, discipline and effort.....and instilling those qualities in players requires a coach with fire and emotion in his gut.

You're as weird as ever, Bob.

Collins will test off the charts at workouts and the combine. He could be this year's Marquese Criss, but with much better college numbers.

Last edited:
Back