• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I love Forbes and sincerely believe he’s both a great dude and probably the best coach we could reasonably get, but I’m increasingly of the belief that this is sort of who we’re always going to be.

Depends on how it happens. If we collapse down the stretch and lose a bunch of games we shouldn’t, not unreasonable. If we have a team good enough to make the tournament like we had in 21-22 but drop just maybe one game that we shouldn’t and then get snubbed when we really should’ve gotten in, I would feel differently.
Not just one game in pre-season. LSU was a bad loss. Losing to BC in tourney was the topper. Starting off 0-2 didn’t help our rep.

Last edited:
I don't have the exact answer to that. Every Program is different. Given Wake's history especially in the hiring of bad HC's since Skip, I'm giving Forbes at least 6 years of continuous improvement before I even discuss the point. And that is if we continue to see support of the Program ($$) wise. Then if we don't make the Tourney next year, (though I do believe we're a 50/50 this year) and outside serious injuries, I think the discussion is valid.
Gaudio was 61-31 with an NCAA win.

For all the criticism that can be levied at Forbes, it really doesn't help that the ACC is a marginal bball conference right now (at best) and that we therefore must have an impressive OOC resume to get into the tourney. There are simply not a lot of opportunities to make an impact in the latter half of the season. So if we shit the bed or are otherwise meh early on, we are playing catchup the rest of the season. And that's what keeps happening, time and time again. And frankly, let's pretend like we had Reid early on and beat Utah, then lose to Houston. Maybe we even beat LSU too. That puts us on the bubble, and then you always have to consider that some shitass teams are going to make a run and win their conference tourneys and mess things up for bubble teams.

Arguing in favor of Gaudio has to be the biggest "peacock-sticking-my-head-in-the-ground-and-ignoring-all-other-facts" issue that is left on these here boards.

Ostriches - michdeac - ostriches.

Leaving the original for laughs.

Last edited:
And frankly, let's pretend like we had Reid early on and beat Utah, then lose to Houston. Maybe we even beat LSU too. That puts us on the bubble, and then you always have to consider that some shitass teams are going to make a run and win their conference tourneys and mess things up for bubble teams.

This makes zero sense as the squad with their current resume (losses to Utah and LSU) is currently on the bubble.

Wins against Utah and LSU and a game against Houston (which simply playing would be rocket fuel to the metrics) puts this team solidly in the field as of today.

This makes zero sense as the squad with their current resume (losses to Utah and LSU) is currently on the bubble.

Wins against Utah and LSU and a game against Houston (which simply playing would be rocket fuel to the metrics) puts this team solidly in the field as of today.

Define "on the bubble", cuz we aren't getting in right now. We have been, at best and prior to our losses, a "last four out" team according to some. After conference tourney time, the teams that are the last four in are usually the last four out.

Define "on the bubble", cuz we aren't getting in right now. We have been, at best and prior to our losses, a "last four out" team according to some. After conference tourney time, the teams that are the last four in are usually the last four out.

You just defined being on the bubble. We are in 45 of the 76 brackets in the matrix right now. As squarely on the bubble as a team can be.

The odds say it's basically a coin flip right now (47%) so not sure where the certainty this team is definitely out is coming from but you do you, Sooner fan.

My definition of "on the bubble" is similar to the way Lunardi views it:

Last 4 byes
Last 4 in
First 4 out
Next 4 out

If a team falls into one of those four buckets you can safely say they are "on the bubble" and Wake is currently in the First 4 out bucket.

This will all play out over the next 6 to 7 weeks (good or bad) but to dispute whether Wake is currently "on the bubble" is ridiculous and makes no sense.

Back