• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Torvik isn’t the only Bart who shouldn’t tell Forbes what his team’s good at.

giphy.gif

We are 5-1 since this post.
My big losing streak prediction was definitely off, but I stand by the rest of that post except maybe the no NIT thing. Toughest slate of games coming up with the next 7. Come out of that with 4 wins or more and it's a major success. 3 is acceptable. 2 and it's gonna be a tough slog.

Still can't believe we got bitch slapped by Rutgers, even though that appears to be an ok loss at this point.

My big losing streak prediction was definitely off, but I stand by the rest of that post except maybe the no NIT thing. Toughest slate of games coming up with the next 7. Come out of that with 4 wins or more and it's a major success. 3 is acceptable. 2 and it's gonna be a tough slog.

Still can't believe we got bitch slapped by Rutgers, even though that appears to be an ok loss at this point.
Hopefully winning at Wisconsin balances out the Rutgers loss. Either way, the Rutgers loss isn't going hurt tournament chances.

Hopefully winning at Wisconsin balances out the Rutgers loss. Either way, the Rutgers loss isn't going hurt tournament chances.
That Rutgers loss really doesn't matter outside of the margin hurting our metrics. They're a good team (recently beat Purdue on the road) and not a lot of teams go there and win. Wisconsin has struggled recently and that win is in danger of sliding into Q2 territory which would be a fairly big blow to our resume especially with the Duke win also teetering close to the edge of Q1 and Q2. If both of those slid to Q2 that would leave us needing some big wins down the stretch, though opportunities for winnable Q1 games are plenty with both games against State potentially Q1, at Pitt Q1, home vs Virginia Q1, and potentially home vs UNC Q1. If both Wisco and Duke stay Q1 wins (Wsico needs top 75, Duke needs top 30) I think we have a great chance at having 4+ Q1 wins which is a checkmark on the resume.

Forbes is our best hope in succeeding I can’t think of any coach in the country I’d rather have.
Same. Pat Kelsey wouldn't be so bad either but what Forbes has done especially considering he can't pay recruits as he often says is pretty impressive. I feel like last year was a masterclass in on-the-fly roster construction and this year we're seeing him just get the most of a roster with his coaching. If the NCAA starts policing recruiting inducements (doubtful, but one can hope) I really think he can turn us into a winner on the national stage and not just a program hoping to make the tournament. While this current dichotomy exists between schools that follow the rules and schools that know they don't have to, Forbes is clearly the guy to keep us competitive despite being handcuffed. Meanwhile you could give Danny Manning any amount of leeway to buy recruits and he'd still finish 13th in the ACC.

I remember finding it strange that anyone would transfer with what was clearly an upgrade. But I guess they did choose to come play for Manning so who knows...
During Sarr and his family's official visit to Wake John Collins went crazy in a blowout of NC State. I imagine Sarr pictured himself doing the same.

I remember finding it strange that anyone would transfer with what was clearly an upgrade. But I guess they did choose to come play for Manning so who knows...
I think it was more the fact that the free transfer didn't exist under Manning and that was the first year it did so even if Manning stayed some of those guys would have left. Could you imagine the level of attrition we would have had with Manning if players could transfer out with immediate eligibility elsewhere like they can now? Lol.

He appears like a genuine and approachable dude. I see him walking out of the tunnel and around the courtside seating at the games and feel I could just walk up and strike up a conversation with him. Complete 180 from that doucher Ron Wellman.
Your comment is spot on. John Currie walked up and introduced himself to me on the quad in 2021. We talked for several minutes about our time as students. He even joked about being born the year I graduated.

He appears like a genuine and approachable dude. I see him walking out of the tunnel and around the courtside seating at the games and feel I could just walk up and strike up a conversation with him. Complete 180 from that doucher Ron Wellman.
He came over to my tailgate last year and introduced himself and talked about Wake. He was a very humble and interesting guy. Polar opposite from Wellman.

I have posted this before, but Currie did such a tremendous job with the Forbes hire/Manning fire. Forbes was basically the best guy available that year, but no other AD had the balls to make the move. Not sure Forbes is here under a normal carousel scenario with all of the jobs that would have been open. Currie crushed it under very difficult circumstances.

It just occurred to me the OP was probably talking about his wristwatch game.

I literally just walked up and struck up a conversation with him on the street in Charlotte Friday night before the ACCCG. Great guy.

Is Wake Forest the primary reason Brownell has not been fired by Clemson?

Would be nice to win, since we've been treating him like John Wooden.

Back