• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steven Chase practicing with a torn ACL, hopes to play.

An OT that can't move laterally? I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

This is beyond dumb. I really hope an adult steps in here and does the right thing.

I have a torn a c l that I never got fixed. Running forward and coming to a set dead stop is where there is a little instability. It does not effect strength.

I have a torn a c l that I never got fixed. Running forward and coming to a set dead stop is where there is a little instability. It does not effect strength.

Do you have DL and LBs running into you about 100 times a week?

An OT that can't move laterally? I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

He can move laterally.

Your acl prevents anterior translation. So you're talking forward and backward motions being a bigger issue than side to side, although there aren't perfect side-to-side motions that isolate themselves completely from any anterior/posterior translation of the joint.

They make braces that are pretty hardcore for these types of things. I'd be curious to see if he tore his meniscus as well. If that's the case, I see this being a very short, stupid, brave attempt to keep playing.

exactly. Has nothing to do with lateral movement. Bracing can compensate for the forward instability.

Can Chase get a medical redshirt year if he doesn't play this year or no?

Shut it down and have surgery. Is he that much better than our second option playing on a bad leg?

I've definitely heard of this done before, and if Grobe/the trainers allow it, then I'm all for it.

If they let him play with a torn ACL, it will be a disgrace.

Can Chase get a medical redshirt year if he doesn't play this year or no?

Actually, I would like to know this, and would change my opinion to definitely shut him down for the year if he can get one. I always forget how the medical redshirt rules work.

Oh so rj is a sports medicine expert too?

It's up to the team docs and Steven. You're saying "it's a disgrace" because you think it's the right thing to say, not because you have any idea what you're talking about.

Well I remember what happened with Tony Rutland. Having a torn ACL is not like playing with a broken finger or a sprained ankle.

Its not a disgrace if that's what he wants to do and the doctors sign off on it. Really the biggest concern would be cartilage damage, or damage to other ligaments. The way braces are made now, there would be only a slight increase in risk in damage to other ligaments. As far as the surgery he could compete this season, have surgery in January and be back for fall ball next year. The recovery time for ACL surgery is drastically down as compared to years ago. As far as cartilage damage, anything that may happen as a result in continuing to play will be cleaned up when he eventually does have the ACL surgery. This is usually routine to begin with, a well might as well since we are here type thing. Plus cartilage, partial tears, bone spurs, etc... usually always occur during the initial ACL injury. However don't let any actual insight into pros and cons as well medical knowledge cloud your judgement, not like we haven't studied this stuff for years upon years and a doctor would be signing off on it. Absolute disgrace.

Back