• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Jobs (any ideas???)

minifrostylin

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been looking for one since early April and I haven't gotten so much as a callback yet. Craigslist hasn't been too much help because it's chock full of Vector Marketing scams.

I'm not picky about where I work either cause it's not like I have a lot of experience. Freshman year I worked with Advancement Services at ASU updating alumni records, filing stuff and things like that. So I'm willing to take anything I could get.

So if anyone knows of any openings in the Winston/High Point area, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've helped out with some landscaping before. That's about it.

I'm always down to learn something though and I pick things up pretty quickly.

meh...if i'm gonna whore myself out, i'd be a pool boy for some rich housewife.

thats actually a good idea. i could put my skills that i honed on the Pine Whispers (Reynolds) staff to good use lol.

Here's the tough thing at this point: it's June 15. Even with a moderately fast hiring process, I don't see you starting before June 27. Then when do you leave for school again, late August? So employers are gonna get about 2 months of solid work (less than that if you count training time).

It certainly is gonna be tough. I know there isn't $$$ involved but it might be helpful just to get connected to a local charity group and work with them through the summer.

Have you been to places like Jason's Deli or Best Buy or Wal-Mart? They hire pretty frequently/constantly. Work is work.

Work construction two months and see just how tough (mentally and physically) you are. If you survive, you will be in the greatest shape of your life.

Man I worked for Vector one summer. I sold like 8000 bucks worth of knives. That was actually a pretty good pay check for me and I only worked a couple days a week because I was taking courses at a local university too.

Here's the tough thing at this point: it's June 15. Even with a moderately fast hiring process, I don't see you starting before June 27. Then when do you leave for school again, late August? So employers are gonna get about 2 months of solid work (less than that if you count training time).

It certainly is gonna be tough. I know there isn't $$$ involved but it might be helpful just to get connected to a local charity group and work with them through the summer.

Have you been to places like Jason's Deli or Best Buy or Wal-Mart? They hire pretty frequently/constantly. Work is work.

that's whats starting to annoy me about the process

i've checked out a bunch of deli setups and gotten nothing off that. Retail, I just get referred to their online applications.

i'm focusing a lot on places kids frequent in the summer (minigolf, bowling, etc) since they just got out and business is gonna be up

I'm in upstate SC and we have been looking for a part time employee or intern for the better part of 2 months and can't find one.

Where are they, on vacation?

that's whats starting to annoy me about the process

i've checked out a bunch of deli setups and gotten nothing off that. Retail, I just get referred to their online applications.

i'm focusing a lot on places kids frequent in the summer (minigolf, bowling, etc) since they just got out and business is gonna be up

I know. It sucks. When you're going to these places, I wouldn't necessarily be upfront that it is a "summer job." You're just seeking employment. Then you drop your two weeks on them 4 weeks into the job.

i've started to add that one. i'm even considering spicing my resume but that's bad form.

I would look into catering companies. Summer is the wedding season.
It isn't a bad job either (I did it for one summer). You don't have to have food service experience since you are basically just delivering plates, clearing tables, and refilling water glasses.
Plus, you can usually take a few bottles of wine home at the end of the shift. It is amazing how many bottles of wine get opened but barely consumed....

Back