• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tanner cleared to return, but coaches wouldn't let him back in?

Don't mind the decision. It's game one, if Price goes back in and it turned out later he had a minor tear, and he aggravated it, that's the season down the tubes for a win against Syracuse.

While losing TP was a blow for us, it's a team sport, and at the time the injury occurred we had played pretty well overall except in special teams.

I agree 100% with all who have critiqued the coaching. It is the job of the coaches to make the adjustments, have the plans in place, and instill confidence in the players that they will win by following the lead of the coaches.....none of that happened, and it's hard to be sure that a young sophomore QB with a limp could've changed that all by himself.

C'mon coach, where's the old JG?

The diagnosis as of this morning is a sprained knee. I'm glad he didn't go back in. He has extra time to heal up before next Saturday.

The diagnosis as of this morning is a sprained knee. I'm glad he didn't go back in. He has extra time to heal up before next Saturday.

An extra hour of time to heal vs. if he had played the rest of the game?

While losing TP was a blow for us, it's a team sport, and at the time the injury occurred we had played pretty well overall except in special teams.

I agree 100% with all who have critiqued the coaching. It is the job of the coaches to make the adjustments, have the plans in place, and instill confidence in the players that they will win by following the lead of the coaches.....none of that happened, and it's hard to be sure that a young sophomore QB with a limp could've changed that all by himself.

C'mon coach, where's the old JG?

There is no old JG. It was an illusion.

So basically he pulled a reverse Jay Cutler.

Minor injury only limited by pain with no increased risk of other injury by continued play. Only in this case, player wanted to return but was not allowed to.

On the other hand, if our defense had played the last 11 minutes of the game, it would not have mattered. Based on the way we were playing, I'm sure Grobe thought we could make some stops. If so, I understand the decision.

On the other hand, if our defense had played the last 11 minutes of the game, it would not have mattered. Based on the way we were playing, I'm sure Grobe thought we could make some stops. If so, I understand the decision.

Valid argument here. Only exception is the no subbing for Whitlock all game which doomed our defense (they were gassed in that suckpit of a stadium) in the 4th quarter. Clueless decision making from Grobe not to sub him out at least 1 series before the 4th quarter.

Again, I'll quote Wrangor. He's coached college basketball athletes, so I trust he's seen this play out more than most Wake fans (who, unfortunately, have seen it play out their fair share).

Defense is played on emotion. When the team sees the coaching staff letting off the gas, they follow instinctively. When the staff plays not to lose, so do the players. Once the momentum starts rolling the other way it is difficult to stop. We see this all the time, I am not sure why anyone is completely surprised. 15 points in 8 minutes (in reality we should have lost in regulation) is a lot, but not out of the question. It is just two scores. When you aren't moving the ball and you are playing a soft coverage defense it makes it pretty easy for the other team.

As soon as Tanner went down, you could see this coming. It played out exactly as a lot of Wake Forest fans feared. As Wrangor alludes to above, the blocked FG was lucky as lucky gets, so the game wasn't even as close as it seemed by going to OT. It should have been over in regulation. Coaches dialed back and the entire team followed suit.

Valid argument here. Only exception is the no subbing for Whitlock all game which doomed our defense (they were gassed in that suckpit of a stadium) in the 4th quarter. Clueless decision making from Grobe not to sub him out at least 1 series before the 4th quarter.

I think that is more on the DL coach and defensive coordinators. The head coach can't keep track of all the subs and playing times for 22 positions. He has to have more of a big picture view of the game and make the important decisions. The dl coach has to sub in and out his guys to keep them fresh, while the d coordinators should have a general overview of the defense.

is anyone else inclined to put some blame our awful punter. he was atrocious. his inability to kick the ball gave them great field position at crucial points in the fourth.

I think that is more on the DL coach and defensive coordinators. The head coach can't keep track of all the subs and playing times for 22 positions. He has to have more of a big picture view of the game and make the important decisions. The dl coach has to sub in and out his guys to keep them fresh, while the d coordinators should have a general overview of the defense.

Yeah last year I had a beef with the RB coach putting Pendergrass back in the Navy game so now I guess I'm not happy with the DL coaches allowing Mosby, Souza, and hell even FORD (lectro's guy) to stand there and watch the game all night while Whitlock is sucking wind in the 4th quarter.

We gotta do better and get a WIN. The whole athletic dept. needs a "W."

is anyone else inclined to put some blame our awful punter. he was atrocious. his inability to kick the ball gave them great field position at crucial points in the fourth.

Yea but we knew that would be the case coming in. Gotta hope the Aussie gets it down soon cause Wufleck or whatever has a terrible D1 punting leg.

Again, I'll quote Wrangor. He's coached college basketball athletes, so I trust he's seen this play out more than most Wake fans (who, unfortunately, have seen it play out their fair share).

As soon as Tanner went down, you could see this coming. It played out exactly as a lot of Wake Forest fans feared. As Wrangor alludes to above, the blocked FG was lucky as lucky gets, so the game wasn't even as close as it seemed by going to OT. It should have been over in regulation. Coaches dialed back and the entire team followed suit.

This has been happening for years, by the way. The key to 2006-08 is that we had players on defense who couldn't be demotivated into dialing back and a QB and kicker/punter who minimized the risks of dialing back.

Sorry if haas, but this blog update from Dan says Tanner should be good to go Saturday. Not much new info, but Grobe seems confident he'll be out there.

Glad Tanner is ok to go from here on out. In person the play that injured him looked incredibly serious. Despite it being a big part in our comeback you never want to see a kid go down like that.

FWIW, my voice still hasn't fully recovered from last Thursday but before your defense was gassed you had us dead to rights. Then I thought we had it, then you blocked the friggin field goal.

Unreal, but I'd imagine if the coaches thought Tanner was ok, he wouldve trotted out there for OT.

Regardless, thanks for your hospitality on this board and I hope Tanner is 100% and you guys win out.

Back