• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tanner cleared to return, but coaches wouldn't let him back in?

Tanner was walking around the sidelines without a limp that I could see. Heck, remember several years ago Byron Leftwich staying in a game where his O-linemen having to carry him to the line of scrimmage? I'm not suggesting anything that drastic, but if the trainers said he could go and Tanner said he could go, the coaches should've let him play. This teams needs to win games and I think if Tanner only misses that one series, we win last night.

You're right. This is college football and you only have 12 games, unlike pro football with 16-18, pro basket ball with 80 (you get my point). Every game is huge, especially when you need 6 wins.

I'm surprised at how many people are pissed about this. We're talking about a kid's health here. If it's questionable, nobody can be blamed for playing it safe.

It wasn't questionable. Tanner was fine, the doctor said he was fine, and apparently it's a knee bruise. Everyone cleared him to play except Grobe.

It's gonna be tough to tolerate Grobe's next tirade about wuss players. This coaching staff was about as wuss as they could be last night...not going for another score at the end of the first half, totally screwing calls at the end of regulation by not even trying to win, not putting in our (by far) best qb for the OT possession when we knew we HAD to score or go home with an L...

whatever. I just don't want to hear Grobe call his players out for not being tough. He and his staff need to model that from the top.

PLAY TO WIN, COACH!

It's gonna be tough to tolerate Grobe's next tirade about wuss players. This coaching staff was about as wuss as they could be last night...not going for another score at the end of the first half, totally screwing calls at the end of regulation by not even trying to win, not putting in our (by far) best qb for the OT possession when we knew we HAD to score or go home with an L...

whatever. I just don't want to hear Grobe call his players out for not being tough. He and his staff need to model that from the top.

PLAY TO WIN, COACH!

Yeah this

PLAY TO WIN, COACH!

Spot on.

Saw him a few minutes ago. He did have a bit of a limp, but nothing that wouldn't be consistent with a sore or bruised muscle.

Saw him a few minutes ago. He did have a bit of a limp, but nothing that wouldn't be consistent with a sore or bruised muscle.

Bruised knee sounds about right. I'm sure it's sore, but it'll be fine.

It wasn't questionable. Tanner was fine, the doctor said he was fine, and apparently it's a knee bruise. Everyone cleared him to play except Grobe.

“I don’t know,’’ Grobe said. “It’s just something we can’t judge. When he came off the field, we were really worried. And then after we checked his knee, I think Dr.(David) Martin and everybody that looked at him thought `Hard to tell.’ But I think probably the feeling was that it may not be as bad as we thought initially out on the field. Hopefully that’s the case. We’ll have to get back home and do an MRI and all that stuff to know how seriously he’s hurt.’‘

Tanner said they were doing an MRI today for precautionary matters and that the doctors told him on the sidelines that he was fine to reenter the game, at which point he put his helmet on and was jumping up and down wanting to get in. Grobe then decided not to put him in. Grobe is sugarcoating it from what I've heard from firsthand sources.

ETA: There's always a chance that he does have some damage and we all hope that's not the case. It appears it's just a knee bruise though.

PLAY TO WIN, COACH!

+1,000,000

The good news here is it sounds like Price will be good to go against the Pack Saturday.

Tanner said they were doing an MRI today for precautionary matters and that the doctors told him on the sidelines that he was fine to reenter the game, at which point he put his helmet on and was jumping up and down wanting to get in. Grobe then decided not to put him in. Grobe is sugarcoating it from what I've heard from firsthand sources.

ETA: There's always a chance that he does have some damage and we all hope that's not the case. It appears it's just a knee bruise though.

I think te fact that he's having an MRI justifies the decision, considering the long-term circumstances.

Most orthopaedic surgeons, especially ones at this level, have excellent physical exam skills and, more importantly, are some of the few physicians that actually have the balls to consistently trust them without completely and blindly relying on imaging.

The greater majority of MRIs done for ACL tears (if that what they thought he may have had) are more or less done for preoperative planning and to try and diagnose other associated injuries like meniscal tears.

I think te fact that he's having an MRI justifies the decision, considering the long-term circumstances.

Also wrong. Football players get MRIs all the time, and the greater majority of them don't even make the local news. All schools have contracts with places for things like this. In an average week I'd estimate there are 5-15 MRIs perfomed on an average college football team. Pros even more. It's extremely common. Simply by having an MRI perfomed doesn't neccessarily equate to a serious injury at all.

Also wrong. Football players get MRIs all the time, and the greater majority of them don't even make the local news. All schools have contracts with places for things like this. In an average week I'd estimate there are 5-15 MRIs perfomed on an average college football team. Pros even more. It's extremely common. Simply by having an MRI perfomed doesn't neccessarily equate to a serious injury at all.

Obviously. Having an MRI performed equates to the possibility of having a serious injury. And that's enough to be cautious with a guy like Price.

He banged his knee. Nobody is arguing that. Of course he is now going to have an MRI.

But banging a knee shouldn't keep a guy out of a competitive game. Especially if doctors and player say that he is both able and willing to go back onto the field.

Get serious. He was lying on the ground for 3 minutes and had to be helped off the field. Now he's getting an MRI. The outrage over this is bewildering.

Back