• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tanner cleared to return, but coaches wouldn't let him back in?

Tanner was walking around the sidelines without a limp that I could see. Heck, remember several years ago Byron Leftwich staying in a game where his O-linemen having to carry him to the line of scrimmage? I'm not suggesting anything that drastic, but if the trainers said he could go and Tanner said he could go, the coaches should've let him play. This teams needs to win games and I think if Tanner only misses that one series, we win last night.

I would have saved him for State too. You don't really know until you do an MRI. The bottom line is we should have won the game without him.

Well, he gripes (publically and about specific players) when the trainers/doctors keep the players out of practice. Talks about "toughness' and "durability." Now, when they clear the most important player on the team to play, he holds him out due to some sort of supposed concern about his long-term health? In both situations, it makes it seem like he just doesn't trust the trainers/doctors we have and that he knows better.

if this is true then i don't know what to say... there has to be something else to this...

Well, he gripes (publically and about specific players) when the trainers/doctors keep the players out of practice. Talks about "toughness' and "durability." Now, when they clear the most important player on the team to play, he holds him out due to some sort of supposed concern about his long-term health? In both situations, it makes it seem like he just doesn't trust the trainers/doctors we have and that he knows better.

Actually this is what I think is the case and it's just as bad. Grobe has repeatedly said the position coaches decide who plays and when, so it was probably the position coaches that kept him out, but Grobe should've put his money where his mouth is regarding playing through pain and injuries and told them to put him back in. If Grobe isn't going to step in and make decisions, what the heck is doing anyway.

This pisses me off to no end. Most coaches are dying to get their players back in and are upset when the medical staff won't clear a player for safety reasons. Here we have the medical staff, who ohhh I don't know, knows something about medicine and the human body saying Price is fine, and Grobe going nah we will just roll the dice with our shitty backup it looked like you were hurt more than you really were.

Surprised no one has lifted this quote from Dan's blog:

“The kid’s a great kid,’’ Grobe said of Price. “He wanted to go back in the game. We could have let him try but I didn’t think it was worth it.’‘

“The kid’s a great kid,’’ Grobe said of Price. “He wanted to go back in the game. We could have let him try but I didn’t think it was worth it.’‘

Who cares about a win? There are 11 other chances this season to get one.

k138091_fuuuuuu.jpg

No, trying to get a good road win to start the season with a team that lacks confidence isn't worth much???? Unless it comes out that Tanner had an injury that could've been made worse just by being out there, then it makes no sense they didn't put him back in. Wins will be precious this year and last night we had it on a silver platter for us. I'd never say, winning is more important than a kids health, but I'm just not seeing any indication that was the case.

If anything was apparent last night it is that any hope we have to win any games at all will disappear if Tanner cannot play.

If winning last night resulted in Price being unavailable for the remainder of the season or even a substantial portion of it....the misery and complaining would be much worse!

Had it been a conference game, the decision might have been different.

I don't really know what to say to this. Grobe is losing me. Fast.

Why????? Why?????? If he is ok to play, then play him!!! If he isn't hurt, then what was the perceived risk???? I do not, for the life of me, understand the rationale of not risking it. Unreal.

Is there someplace I can move where I will just be totally oblivious to Wake sports? Maybe go into a monestary somewhere in Thailand? I don't think I can handle this misery any longer, but if I still have access, I'll still be tempted to pay attention.

If anything was apparent last night it is that any hope we have to win any games at all will disappear if Tanner cannot play.

If winning last night resulted in Price being unavailable for the remainder of the season or even a substantial portion of it....the misery and complaining would be much worse!

Had it been a conference game, the decision might have been different.

Though I'm still mad about it, you make a good point.

This is one decision Grobe made I agree with. If a kid is going to lay on his back like that and he doesn't have a cramp, then you have to question putting him back in. Plenty of ACL type injuries happen and kids want to go back in and their knee hasn't swelled up yet so they think they are all right.

Next time, Tanner needs to hop up and hobble off the field and not make it look like a season ending injury.

I hate it, but it was a good decision by Grobe. No MRI capacity there meant taking a guess about both the kid's well-being and possibly the rest of the season.

We sure missed Tanner, but we shouldn't have lost the game just because Tanner was out. Special teams lost this game.

Back