• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tanner cleared to return, but coaches wouldn't let him back in?

It appears that Grobe's sense of urgency and our fanbase's sense of urgency are on two entirely different planets.

He's coming off a piss-poor 3-9 campaign and preached incessantly to Dan Collins that he's looking for tough kids. Well, HE HAS A TOUGH KID begging to re-enter the game TO WIN THE GAME and he pulls this stunt.

I'm really not sure what this staff is trying to accomplish. Last night was critical to having any chance of a bowl and could have built tremendous confidence in a team searching for an answer.

Why????? Why?????? If he is ok to play, then play him!!! If he isn't hurt, then what was the perceived risk???? I do not, for the life of me, understand the rationale of not risking it. Unreal.

Probably the same risk that exists if you try a running play on 3rd down from around midfield with around 35 seconds to go in a tied game where your opponent has zero TOs and can't stop the clock.

As for why - OTLK

What did the training staff or doctor say? Was he really cleared? (I'm using my phone and too difficult to read through entire thread or click on links). If doctor clears him, in my mind, you play him. Period.

Ugh.

It's a long season Tanner, the coaches will have plenty of opportunity to get you injured. Kind of like when they called a QB draw at the end of the first half when their only intention was to run out the clock.

It's weird to see the King of Tags post.

I guess sports season brings out the facepainter

What did the training staff or doctor say? Was he really cleared? (I'm using my phone and too difficult to read through entire thread or click on links). If doctor clears him, in my mind, you play him. Period.

I would love to have that absolutely confirmed, because if that is the truth and he was cleared, not putting him back him is unforgivable!!!!

It's too big of a risk of injury to play in football. I say we forfeit the rest of the season.

If anything was apparent last night it is that any hope we have to win any games at all will disappear if Tanner cannot play.

If winning last night resulted in Price being unavailable for the remainder of the season or even a substantial portion of it....the misery and complaining would be much worse!

Had it been a conference game, the decision might have been different.

but apparently he wasn't hurt... so the chances of him aggrivating an injury that isn't there are effectively 0...

only problem would have been if he was moving slowly from the knee shake up... but supposedly he was running up and down the sideline..?

We need 6 wins to make a bowl game. That's what we need to worry about.

Let me get this straight, Grobe harps all preseason about guys needing to tough it out and practice/play through pain or minor injuries, then they don't let Tanner back in even though the trainers said it was okay???????

If Tanner doesn't get hurt or misses only one series we win that game last night.

+infinity

Glad he's OK for the State game.

I'm still significantly less bothered by this than the apparent lack of game plan once we had to to go Stach. The combination is what makes it truly offensive.

Starting QB goes down and you want to keep him out for precautionary reasons? That's fine, as long as you have a coherent strategy for using your backup.

You don't have a game plan for your backup so you risk the starting QB? Probably not the smartest planning but at least you thought it through once the situation arose.

The combination is kind of disgusting, though.

I'm still significantly less bothered by this than the apparent lack of game plan once we had to to go Stach. The combination is what makes it truly offensive.

Starting QB goes down and you want to keep him out for precautionary reasons? That's fine, as long as you have a coherent strategy for using your backup.

You don't have a game plan for your backup so you risk the starting QB? Probably not the smartest planning but at least you thought it through once the situation arose.

The combination is kind of disgusting, though.

Exactly - if you want to keep the kid out then you sure as hell had better have been working on a contingency plan for it. Hell, you probably should have been working on said plan regardless because INJURIES HAPPEN!

This is one decision Grobe made I agree with. If a kid is going to lay on his back like that and he doesn't have a cramp, then you have to question putting him back in. Plenty of ACL type injuries happen and kids want to go back in and their knee hasn't swelled up yet so they think they are all right.

Next time, Tanner needs to hop up and hobble off the field and not make it look like a season ending injury.

This is BS. 90+% of ACL tears, even acute ones, can be diagnosed by a competent physical exam. The combination of the Lachman and the drawer are over 95% sensitive. Waiting for an MRI is a piss poor excuse. The increased dependence on imaging to make a diagnosis is reason #2 (behind lack of quality tort reform) why health care in this country is in such a terrible state right now.

If a competent physician cleared him after a physical exam and he wanted to play, he should have been back in the game.

I would have saved him for State too. You don't really know until you do an MRI. The bottom line is we should have won the game without him.

Agree for the most part.

From MTOW:
----------------
Grobe was cautiously optimistic that Price may be back soon, maybe by the next game against N.C. State on Sept. 10.

“I don’t know,’’ Grobe said. “It’s just something we can’t judge. When he came off the field, we were really worried. And then after we checked his knee, I think Dr.(David) Martin and everybody that looked at him thought `Hard to tell.’ But I think probably the feeling was that it may not be as bad as we thought initially out on the field. Hopefully that’s the case. We’ll have to get back home and do an MRI and all that stuff to know how seriously he’s hurt.’‘
-----------------

I'm surprised at how many people are pissed about this. We're talking about a kid's health here. If it's questionable, nobody can be blamed for playing it safe.

It would be different if Tanner limped all the way to the sideline coming off the field, it would be different if didn't appear the trainers said he could go back in, it would be different if he wasn't walking good and maybe even running the sideline as one poster said. People can say, well we needed to be cautious and save him for conference opener, but we're not winning the conference. We need 6 wins, whether they come in conference or out of conference and last night we a golden opportunity. If it appears Tanner could give it a go last night, he should've been given that opportunity.

I'm surprised at how many people are pissed about this. We're talking about a kid's health here. If it's questionable, nobody can be blamed for playing it safe.

I'm pissed because Grobe coached like he was forced to play Ted and had nothing ready for him. To find out that Tanner could play and Grobe still coached like that is just another kick in the nuts.

I'm not emotionally invested in this like y'all, but just thought I'd say fwiw, I think if you're not totally positive of the extent of an injury on a guy's knee like that, it's best to hold him out. It might really suck and lose you the game, but it's still the right thing to do imo. Especially for a college sophomore. Knees aren't something to gamble on

Agree for the most part.

From MTOW:
----------------
Grobe was cautiously optimistic that Price may be back soon, maybe by the next game against N.C. State on Sept. 10.

“I don’t know,’’ Grobe said. “It’s just something we can’t judge. When he came off the field, we were really worried. And then after we checked his knee, I think Dr.(David) Martin and everybody that looked at him thought `Hard to tell.’ But I think probably the feeling was that it may not be as bad as we thought initially out on the field. Hopefully that’s the case. We’ll have to get back home and do an MRI and all that stuff to know how seriously he’s hurt.’‘
-----------------

Somehow this board full of medical experts equates "hard to tell" with "yes, put him back in ASAP".

Back