• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Heels vacate 2008 & 2009 football wins

So when does Swofford hold his closed door meeting with all of the other AD's in the conference to beg them to extend their punishment past what the school and the NCAA have imposed?

Oh...that's right. He's too busy right now. Guess that'll be his excuse.

Maybe after the NCAA imposes a penalty?

vacating wins is a joke. the games were played, people know the results. using white-out on the record books changes nothing.

and what about all the players who were on the level? it's disrespectful to them to take away their wins no matter which school is in question.

if it's about money, then make the punishments about money.

otherwise rewrite the rules to accept the reality that isn't going to change.

In fairness (which admittedly may not be an end here), they self-sanctioned last year in a way that Ohio State and Auburn did not. Shoe on other foot, that should count for UNC and against Ohio State and Auburn.

[braces for neg rep]

:couch:

In fairness (which admittedly may not be an end here), they self-sanctioned last year in a way that Ohio State and Auburn did not. Shoe on other foot, that should count for UNC and against Ohio State and Auburn.

"Self-sanctioned" by holding out players that they knew to be ineligible? That's the same as saying that Wake "self-sanctions" when they hold out a player that doesn't have the grades to play. That's not self-sanctioning...they just got caught with their pants down and were forced to deal with the fact that their players were not eligible to compete.

Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
August 30* 6:05 p.m. McNeese State Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC ESPN360 V 35–27 (vacated) 58,000
September 11* 7:45 p.m. at Rutgers Rutgers Stadium • Piscataway, NJ ESPN V 44–12 (vacated) 42,502
September 20 3:30 p.m. Virginia Tech Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC abc / ESPN L 17–20 59,800
September 27 12:00 p.m. at Miami Dolphin Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL ESPN2 V 28–24 (vacated) 35,830
October 4* 7:00 p.m. #23 Connecticut Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC ESPN2 V 38–12 (vacated) 59,500
October 11* 3:30 p.m. Notre Dame #22 Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC abc / ESPN V 29–24 (vacated) 60,500
October 18 3:30 p.m. at Virginia #18 David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium • Charlottesville, VA (South's Oldest Rivalry) abc / ESPN2 L 13–16 OT 52,342
October 25 12:00 p.m. Boston College Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC Raycom / ESPN360 V 45–24 (vacated) 48,000
November 8 12:00 p.m. #20 Georgia Tech #19 Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC Raycom / ESPN360 V 28–7 (vacated) 59,000
November 15 3:30 p.m. at Maryland #17 Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium • College Park, MD abc / ESPN L 15–17 46,113
November 22 12:00 p.m. North Carolina State Kenan Memorial Stadium • Chapel Hill, NC Raycom / ESPN360 L 10–41 60,000
November 29 3:30 p.m. at Duke Wallace Wade Stadium • Durham, NC (Victory Bell Game) ESPNU V 28–20 (vacated) 30,322
December 27* 1 p.m. vs. West Virginia Bank of America Stadium • Charlotte, NC (Meineke Car Care Bowl) ESPN L 30–31 73,712

"Self-sanctioned" by holding out players that they knew to be ineligible? That's the same as saying that Wake "self-sanctions" when they hold out a player that doesn't have the grades to play. That's not self-sanctioning...they just got caught with their pants down and were forced to deal with the fact that their players were not eligible to compete.

I'm fairly certain Ryan Houston would disagree. My understanding was he was completely exonerated, yet still had to redshirt. I'm not saying their innocent, but even using your view of things, how would you contrast a) Auburn and OSU's knowledge of their 1/4back's eligibility and b) their reaction w/r/to the 2010 season? A little different, no?

I'm fairly certain Ryan Houston would disagree. My understanding was he was completely exonerated, yet still had to redshirt. I'm not saying their innocent, but even using your view of things, how would you contrast a) Auburn and OSU's knowledge of their 1/4back's eligibility and b) their reaction w/r/to the 2010 season? A little different, no?

Got any links saying he was completely exonerated of any and all wrongdoing? I can't find any. Everything out of UNC is very vague, only saying he was "cleared". I can't find any mention of innocence, only that he had his honor court date and was then cleared to play. We have no idea whether the 6 games he sat out while waiting for his honor court date were determined to be punishment enough. Seeing as they discovered most of the academic issues through emails/attachments to tutors, I suspect whatever evidence they used to hold him out of the initial games was pretty solid.

how would you contrast a) Auburn and OSU's knowledge of their 1/4back's eligibility and b) their reaction w/r/to the 2010 season? A little different, no?

As for OSU, Pryor was suspended for 5 games for the tattoo incident, right? And the later probe didn't come about until 2011, so it's not related to the 2010 season. I don't remember the timeline on this one as closely, but I guess it depends on when OSU's AD new Pryor was likely guilty.

Auburn's situation I didn't follow, but most of the inquiry seemed to be centered around Newton's father and another school, so I don't necessarily see a reason for Auburn to hold him out preemptively unless they knew they had broken a rule. UNC knew they had broken rules, so they withheld their players.

In the end, I don't see any reason to give any school's AD "credit" for holding out players that they know, or reasonably suspect, to be ineligible. That's their job. That's not a sanction. That's following the rules.

Got any links saying he was completely exonerated of any and all wrongdoing? I can't find any. Everything out of UNC is very vague, only saying he was "cleared". I can't find any mention of innocence, only that he had his honor court date and was then cleared to play. We have no idea whether the 6 games he sat out while waiting for his honor court date were determined to be punishment enough. Seeing as they discovered most of the academic issues through emails/attachments to tutors, I suspect whatever evidence they used to hold him out of the initial games was pretty solid.

I'm probably not going to convince anyone on the "guilty until proven innocent" paradigm, and the truth is, neither one of us can "know" for certain. I do know he wasn't listed by the NCAA in the NOA. A lot of the kids in the UNC thing got caught up in a dragnet; it's the silly season when you're suspending people for not reimbursing their friends for sleeping on a couch. No one does that in the real world, so it's unrealistic to expect broke college kids to do that either. Just my opinion.

That Pryror was "suspended" is laughable. Hilarious, in fact.

As for OSU, Pryor was suspended for 5 games for the tattoo incident, right? And the later probe didn't come about until 2011, so it's not related to the 2010 season. I don't remember the timeline on this one as closely, but I guess it depends on when OSU's AD new Pryor was likely guilty.

Auburn's situation I didn't follow, but most of the inquiry seemed to be centered around Newton's father and another school, so I don't necessarily see a reason for Auburn to hold him out preemptively unless they knew they had broken a rule. UNC knew they had broken rules, so they withheld their players.

In the end, I don't see any reason to give any school's AD "credit" for holding out players that they know, or reasonably suspect, to be ineligible. That's their job. That's not a sanction. That's following the rules.

Sorry, I didn't meant to switch posts on you. Pryor was "suspended" [sic] by the NCAA in an ad hoc punishment (but allowed to the play in a BCS bowl game, for some reason that had nothing to do with integrity/enforcement).

Why isn't Tressel at Ohio State this year? They caught him affirmatively lying to the NCAA. That's a heck of a lot different then proactively suspending people. I'm contrasting the two approaches. That's all.

Back