• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

I am curious to hear that answer, as well. My recollection is that the earliest questionable classes noted in the Wainstein report were for men's basketball. This appears to have been set up for men's basketball based on what we know. Seems their penalties should be plenty stiff.

Why do you think so, LK?

Not trying to answer for LK, but women's basketball had Jan Boxill planted inside their program as an academic counselor. Basketball, football, baseball and everything else had the paper classes so they are not getting off at all either I don't think, but women's is right there tight.

"Jan Boxill, the former faculty chairwoman and ethics professor, resigned from the University after the Wainstein report showed that Boxill used her role as the academic counselor for the women’s basketball team to perpetuate the paper classes scandal.

In a letter to Provost Jim Dean dated Feb. 28, Boxill said she will resign from her position as teaching professor of philosophy"

Not trying to answer for LK, but women's basketball had Jan Boxill planted inside their program as an academic counselor. Basketball, football, baseball and everything else had the paper classes so they are not getting off at all either I don't think, but women's is right there tight.

"Jan Boxill, the former faculty chairwoman and ethics professor, resigned from the University after the Wainstein report showed that Boxill used her role as the academic counselor for the women’s basketball team to perpetuate the paper classes scandal.

In a letter to Provost Jim Dean dated Feb. 28, Boxill said she will resign from her position as teaching professor of philosophy"

True, but the supplemental emails in the Wainstein report & the NOA also reference that the paper class method originated with Burgess McSwain, the academic advisor for men's basketball. I suppose it could be possible that Burgess enlisted Jan to fill a similar role for the women's program.

It's funny what Google can pull up for you, like a story written at the time of Burgess McSwain's death. Interesting to read her comment in light of what we know now about the UNC scandal ;) : https://alumni.unc.edu/news/burgess-mcswain-obituary/

McSwain credits former head coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge with establishing the correct priorities that allowed her to do her job successfully. “The players always came first with me and always came first with Bill and Dean,” McSwain said. “With the Carolina basketball program, the players came first, and I had 100 percent support with anything I wanted to do. Both of them wanted the players to graduate at all costs – you never know when they might break their legs and never be able to play again. If someone really needed to study, they would excuse them. Academics came first and practice came second.”

Players have been transferring out of the UNC women's program in droves. They are going to get hammered

Fearless 2015 prediction:

UNC-Chapel Hill branch will see the women's basketball team lose 3 scholarships per year for 3 years and go on 3 years NCAA probation.

Men's basketball will lose 3 scholarships total and will receive 2 years NCAA probation

Baseball will lose 2 scholarships and receive 2 years probation as will soccer, softball & women's soccer

The school will go on a supervised 5 year athletic probation for lack of institutional control, academic fraud, failure to cooperate with an NCAA investigation, unethical and dishonest conduct--all Level 1 infractions.

Periodically checking in, has the NCAA issued its apology and complete exoneration yet?

No, but Keith Richards made it to seventy, so I guess anything is possible.

Saw Keith and Mick (who just turned 72) last month in Atlanta.
They both seem do be doing pretty good.

If a particular program (i.e. Men's Basketball) is on probation, that means no postseason play, correct?

Pretty sure probation can mean whatever they decide it means. Back in the 80's Auburn was basically never on TV because they were the most cheating school on the planet. I think they've done away with TV bans because it unfairly punishes the opponent's fans.

Postseason ban is likely what governs whether they play in the postseason, regardless of the length of the probation.

Fearless 2015 prediction:

UNC-Chapel Hill branch will see the women's basketball team lose 3 scholarships per year for 3 years and go on 3 years NCAA probation.

Men's basketball will lose 3 scholarships total and will receive 2 years NCAA probation

Baseball will lose 2 scholarships and receive 2 years probation as will soccer, softball & women's soccer

The school will go on a supervised 5 year athletic probation for lack of institutional control, academic fraud, failure to cooperate with an NCAA investigation, unethical and dishonest conduct--all Level 1 infractions.

Football will walk?

Football will walk?

Football has already served their probation that they got from Butch Davis from much of this that opened the can of worms that is continuing now. Hopefully they can pile on to that? They vacated 16 wins and had probation from the agent stuff plus academics. However a lot more has been discovered...............

"The NCAA has placed North Carolina's football program on three years' probation and banned it from the 2012 postseason, the governing body announced Monday.

The school already had imposed several penalties, including vacating all 16 wins for 2008 and 2009, reducing nine scholarships over the next three academic years and putting the program on two years of probation.

But the NCAA didn't stop at UNC's self-imposed penalties, finding that the school was responsible for violations including academic fraud, impermissible agent benefits, participation by ineligible players and a failure to monitor the football program

Football has already served their probation that they got from Butch Davis from much of this that opened the can of worms that is continuing now. Hopefully they can pile on to that? They vacated 16 wins and had probation from the agent stuff plus academics. However a lot more has been discovered...............

"The NCAA has placed North Carolina's football program on three years' probation and banned it from the 2012 postseason, the governing body announced Monday.

The school already had imposed several penalties, including vacating all 16 wins for 2008 and 2009, reducing nine scholarships over the next three academic years and putting the program on two years of probation.

But the NCAA didn't stop at UNC's self-imposed penalties, finding that the school was responsible for violations including academic fraud, impermissible agent benefits, participation by ineligible players and a failure to monitor the football program

These two issues are not related other than the first set of penalties revealed the grade scandal. Just because UNC was on probation before, it will not lighten but potentially darken the NCAA response.

These two issues are not related other than the first set of penalties revealed the grade scandal. Just because UNC was on probation before, it will not lighten but potentially darken the NCAA response.

I hope that is correct. The new allegations have widened the scope certainly and brought into play about an 8-9 year range. So with that being said, that could certainly bring football back into play for more penalties, scholarship losses and post-season play [not that that would stop them from putting up a billboard on I-40 if they won or tied for a Coastal division title].

Pretty sure probation can mean whatever they decide it means. Back in the 80's Auburn was basically never on TV because they were the most cheating school on the planet. I think they've done away with TV bans because it unfairly punishes the opponent's fans.

Postseason ban is likely what governs whether they play in the postseason, regardless of the length of the probation.

I personally think all UNC athletes should have the word "cheater' branded on their forehead and all Ram's Club members should be forced to polish K's championship ring with their tongue while still on his cold, immortal, stone like hand as part of their punishment.

ogAsfIA.jpg

Donate to the cause!
http://www.gofundme.com/6e6e6ecfuw

I raised an NBA Player, but it did not come about in a conventional or easy fashion. Our story starts with my traumatic childhood and the murder/suicide of my parents when I was 19. Also at the age of 19 I became the mother of PJ Hairston. It was a long journey and struggle for us both.

I have decided to embark on a public speaking tour to share the story and talk about experiences that hopefully will inspire others to continue to work hard and overcome barriers.

I have never publically spoken about UNC and the time that my son and I had with the University. It is time to clear the air and let people know the perils and pitfalls that can come about playing NCAA basketball.

This tour is not to bash anyone or search for pity, but it is about empowerment, perseverance, loyalty, and family! A portion of proceeds from this tour will be donated to Domestic Violence Awareness.

Thank you in advance for helping me launch a tour that I believe will be a transforming experience for all that attend.

All the best,

Wendy

Back