• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes NOA from the NCAA

Since elite college BB careers are short, UNC could conceivably keep delaying this long for a recruit to enroll, play, and declare?

Jhmd will defend

pju68.jpg

Since elite college BB careers are short, UNC could conceivably keep delaying this long for a recruit to enroll, play, and declare?
I think the goal is to stretch this past March 2016.

Last edited:
I think the goal is to stretch this past March 2016.

Relevant info from the IC article:

The new information pertaining to the men’s soccer program could possibly extend the length of the NCAA investigation. If the new information is determined to be a Level I or Level II violation, NCAA infractions procedures require that the existing notice of allegations be amended to include the violations even if they are unrelated to the prior allegations.

All five of the current allegations in UNC’s notice are deemed potential Level I violations, which is defined as a severe breach of conduct.

Level I recruiting violations provide or are intended to provide “substantial or extensive” advantages, according to the NCAA. Level II recruiting violations provide or are intended to provide “more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive” advantage.

The NCAA will set a new response date following its review of the new data. The University's statement indicated that both the institution and the NCAA are confident the additional review can be concluded within 60 days.

If an amended notice of allegations is required, UNC will have an additional 90 days to respond.

So, UNC bought itself 145ish days (response was due the 18th) into early January, far too late for it to affect the 2015/16 football or basketball seasons. And then the NCAA will take time to determine punishment. Roy wants to retire "clean", preferably on top with a NC. This was definitely calculated. The soccer violation was likely self reported to force an amended notice of allegations, and the women's basketball stuff was self reported to continue furthering the idea in the public, to recruits, and to anyone that will listen that this is all about women's bball and Jan Boxhill. I guess UNC believes if they say it enough, the NCAA might even believe it. The attempt to blame it all on the women should piss off every woman, and man for that matter, who ever attended UNC.

Relevant info from the IC article:

So, UNC bought itself 145ish days (response was due the 18th) into early January, far too late for it to affect the 2015/16 football or basketball seasons. And then the NCAA will take time to determine punishment. Roy wants to retire "clean", preferably on top with a NC. This was definitely calculated. The soccer violation was likely self reported to force an amended notice of allegations, and the women's basketball stuff was self reported to continue furthering the idea in the public, to recruits, and to anyone that will listen that this is all about women's bball and Jan Boxhill. I guess UNC believes if they say it enough, the NCAA might even believe it. The attempt to blame it all on the women should piss off every woman, and man for that matter, who ever attended UNC.

All so true on their minds. They are trying to sweep this so far under the women's basketball rug and whatever other sports they can think of, hoping the NCAA forgets about men's basketball it is almost getting funny it is so orchestrated.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article31148684.html

UNC’s contrasting treatment of Williams, Hatchell draws attention

UNC-Chapel Hill has two Hall of Fame basketball coaches who each have at least one national championship on their resumes: Sylvia Hatchell and Roy Williams.

Hatchell is the second winningest women’s coach in NCAA history; Williams was the fastest men’s coach to 700 wins. Both have been coaching for more than 25 years and have nearly always taken their teams to the NCAA tournament.

But as the NCAA case involving serious allegations against both programs grinds toward likely sanctions, Williams, 65, has won a lucrative contract extension; Hatchell, 63, is without one.

UNC officials aren’t explaining why two top-flight coaches would be treated differently. As a result, the university has attracted questions about whether it is sacrificing Hatchell and her program to spare the men’s basketball program from harsh NCAA sanctions. Neither coach has been accused of doing anything wrong.

Since the NCAA hit UNC with allegations of five major infractions, including a lack of institutional control, Hatchell has seen her team take a heavy blow. Three recruits from a stellar 2013 recruiting season have left for other schools. One transferred days before the allegations arrived at UNC; the other two in the following weeks. A fourth left a year ago, after a season in which Hatchell stepped away to undergo chemotherapy to combat leukemia. Hatchell so far has held onto this season’s recruiting class, which includes two high school All-Americans.

On Friday, UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham said more evidence emerged that a few more former women basketball players had received improper academic help. He said that information had been shared with the NCAA. This development is likely to push back a hearing on the NCAA’s allegations at least by two months.

On the men’s side, Williams continues to field an experienced team already touted as a favorite for the 2016 national championship. Only one player left – for the NBA, and not out of fear of a tournament ban. Top high school prospects, however, have shown concern about possible sanctions and have chosen other schools, including archrival Duke.

Cunningham’s announcement makes it more likely that the men’s team will finish the upcoming season before the NCAA decides penalties.

Football recruits have said coach Larry Fedora told them the NCAA won’t hurt his program, based on the advice of UNC’s lawyers. Fedora has not discussed specifics, but said he felt “confident things were going to turn out good.”

Last month, Meghan Austin, a former player of Hatchell’s and now a coach herself, drew national attention to the differing perceptions of the men’s and women’s programs in a column published in The News & Observer. She claimed that UNC is sacrificing Hatchell and her program to the NCAA to spare men’s basketball and football.

“With the NCAA allegations, I am trying to wrap my head around how the women’s basketball team has been made the scapegoat in all of this,” wrote Austin, the women’s basketball coach at Montreat College near Asheville. “Our program was not the only team in the report, yet we are the ones being talked about the most. Roy Williams and his program were in the report, and he got a contract extension. The football program was in the report, and its coaching staff was confident enough to tell recruits that they will not receive any repercussions from the NCAA investigation.”

Among those who tweeted the link to Austin’s column: Chamique Holdsclaw, a former University of Tennessee and WNBA star; and Nicole LaVoi, a University of Minnesota professor and advocate for women’s sports.

“The war on Women Coaches is real,” LaVoi tweeted. She later said in an email she knew little about the case.

In an interview last month, Cunningham declined to discuss the details of Hatchell’s contract situation. He typically does not comment on personnel matters. Her contract ends in 2018; Williams’ extension keeps him at UNC until 2020.

“I have immense respect for Coach Hatchell and her career and the success that she’s had,” Cunningham said. “I’m delighted that she’s contracted through 2018. And as we do with all of our teams, I’ll review her situation, her team’s situation, at the end of (next) season.”

On Friday, he said he continued to have confidence in the program’s coaching staff.

The almost hilarious part about UNC's PR campaign to paint this as a wbb issue is that everyone with any sort of brain knows this whole program wasn't enacted so a minor sport could have some success. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

They are like a politician who had simply decided to stick with a lie, no matter how far fetched it is, because consistency is more important than credibility in the public eye. If you say the same lie over and over again your supporters will believe you and eventually your detractors will become wearisome at pointing out the ridiculousness of the statement.

The almost hilarious part about UNC's PR campaign to paint this as a wbb issue is that everyone with any sort of brain knows this whole program wasn't enacted so a minor sport could have some success. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

22 of the first 25 athletes enrolled into the irregular classes played for Dean Smith.

So when UNC doesn't report itself....BLOODY MURDER!!!!

Then UNC reports itself...BLOODY MURDER!!!!

If I didn't know better, I'd think you guys are finding ways to stay mad about this story. #weallgotoNCState

Sounds like we know names. Do we?

I don't know. Pulled the stat off of Facebook where some dude did the digging through all of the docs/reports released thus far. I think the reports only mentioned sport and not names though.

There's no need to go full inbred level stupid JHMD. But congrats on finding a way to paint your team as the victim yet again.

14udnoz.jpg

If I didn't know better, I'd think you guys are finding ways to stay mad about this story. #weallgotoNCState
the-lego-movie-awesome-e1392309318427.png

Carolina is doing what every other ACC program is doing. Our football and basketball players have no business at Wake other than playing sports.

We should just pay players. At least then Wake could outspend the 90% of the peasant schools in the ACC.

This...

Carolina is doing what every other ACC program is doing.

...is not the same as this.

Our football and basketball players have no business at Wake other than playing sports.

Either you haven't been paying attention to ACC news over the last few years in Poland or logic fails you completely. In no way is accepting students-athletes who don't meet the same academic requirements as the average student the same thing as setting up an entire department full of fake classes with made up grades given to cut/pasted papers solely for the purpose of keeping basketball and football players eligible. Hell, even the UNC athletes like McCants who were "educated" via this system know that what they experienced is not what every other athlete in the ACC experiences.

Carolina is doing what every other ACC program is doing. Our football and basketball players have no business at Wake other than playing sports.

We should just pay players. At least then Wake could outspend the 90% of the peasant schools in the ACC.

First post.
Hard to get the phone out of your pocket when you're under that rock, I guess.

After seeing the first bit of ridiculousness, I completely missed this gem. It seems you're just operating from poor assumptions all around. In a spending war, Wake will be (or perhaps already is) hammered. We're way behind most everyone on ticket revenue and booster giving simply as a result of our size:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...parison-acc-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

And it doesn't get any better when you start comparing athletic endowments:
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2015/02/athletic-endowments.html

After seeing the first bit of ridiculousness, I completely missed this gem. It seems you're just operating from poor assumptions all around. In a spending war, Wake will be (or perhaps already is) hammered. We're way behind most everyone on ticket revenue and booster giving simply as a result of our size:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...parison-acc-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

And it doesn't get any better when you start comparing athletic endowments:
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2015/02/athletic-endowments.html

Our boosters can outspend the country fried rubes 5-to-1 at every one of these schools except Duke and maybe Georgia Tech.

You spend your way out of the cellar. Paul Krugman has proven that time and time again.

While we sit here and slash our wrists, Duke, DUKE, is becoming a national powerhouse in football.

Our boosters can outspend the country fried rubes 5-to-1 at every one of these schools except Duke and maybe Georgia Tech.

You're unsmart. It's not too late to give up on this account and create a new login. The numbers don't lie. If we could outspend them, we would be doing it already, but we're not. Even if our donors outspend 5-1, we're still behind because the bigger schools have more than 5 times the number of donors we have. Never mind that wealth is not something that only Wake Forest donors have, causing your 5-1 premise to be severely flawed from the start.

While we sit here and slash our wrists, Duke, DUKE, is becoming a national powerhouse in football.

National powerhouse?

Back