• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about European football clubs

timthedeac

Reaction score
I always watch World Cup and Euro, but lets say I was going to pick a team and start following club soccer. Lets make it one of the powers so I'd be able to find a way to watch a fair number of their games (plus, already have Wake so it'd be nice for my new team to win occassionally): Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Milan, Inter, Juventus.

Man U is the Yankees/Notre Dame, right?
Are some hated by pretty much everyone except their own fans (Ohio State) while others are hated by their rivals but everyone else is fairly neutral (Michigan)?
Do any of their fans have specific stereotypes (e.g., Black Hole Oakland Raiders fans, notoriously nice Nebraska Cornhuskers fans, etc.)?

Give me a team to cheer for.

This board doesn't need any more ManU, Liverpool or Arsenal fans. Maybe give deacman a little company and pick up Man City? They would certainly be fun to root for.

Manchester City, Man United's rivals, have a direct sporting partnership with the Yankees. Therefore, United are not the Yankees. More like the Cardinals -- still spend a shit ton more than most other teams, but not the top level, win a lot of titles.

Manchester City, Man United's rivals, have a direct sporting partnership with the Yankees. Therefore, United are not the Yankees. More like the Cardinals -- still spend a shit ton more than most other teams, but not the top level, win a lot of titles.

that is a pretty silly comparison.

Don't pick Liverpool. (...unless you are in favor of murdering people.)

I'm actively working on this process as well with some soccer fans in my office

photo.jpg

If you're a Wake fan, it already means you're a glutton for punishment, so Everton might be your team.

that is a pretty silly comparison.

Since the PL was formed in 1992 Manchester United have net spent less (£613MM) on players than Chelsea (£951MM), Manchester City (£806MM), and Liverpool (£650MM).

Since 2003-04 season, so 10 years ago, those three clubs have continued to spend more (plus Tottenham) than Manchester United on new players. Chelsea, £814MM; Manchester City, £708MM; Liverpool, £491MM; Tottenham, £477MM; Manchester United, £448MM.

Last 5 seasons? Same quartet have spent more than Man United. Manchester City, £641MM; Chelsea, £436MM; Tottenham, £311MM; Liverpool, £310MM; Manchester United, £268MM.

So, as I said, yes, Manchester United spend money, but they aren't the leaders in that regard by any stretch of the imagination.

Back