• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about European football clubs

What's up with Liverpool? Swagger? Lebron owns a tiny little piece, right?

no idea who these people are or what teams they play/coach?

ROBERTO Martinez, Everton's manager:

Wigan-Athletic-v-Fulham--Premier-League.jpg

Jose MOURINHO, Chelsea's manager:

jose_mourinho_1773090b.jpg

david moyes, former Manchester United manager:

David-Moyes-as-Everton-ma-011.jpg

...he just got fired.

Spend loads. Love to talk about the past. Killed Juventus supporters in the 80s which prevented English clubs from playing in Europe for a decade. Blamed Chelsea supporters.

Scousers is the term of people from Liverpool. They look like this:

scousers-2171886.jpg

Bear: 6 National Titles, 21 overall in 25 years.
Sir Alex: 13 National Titles, 28 overall in 26 years.

i think that epl titles are akin to SEC titles, because a true national title in football requires a postseason game (and hell, college football has a degree of subjectivity to it when it comes to championships). bear had 14 SEC titles

Mourinho is the manager at Chelsea. Left Chelsea for Real Madrid and then came back to Chelsea a few years later. Speaks 5 languages and is an arrogant ass hole. "Does what it takes to win games" (for example: "parking the bus" aka crowding the box against the other team and relying on a breakthrough). They beat Liverpool (my team) last week by doing this. Mourinho is also a sharp dresser.

Honestly don't know how I feel about him. I hate him but at the same time I think he's kinda the man

Mourinho is the manager at Chelsea. Left Chelsea for Real Madrid and then came back to Chelsea a few years later. Speaks 5 languages and is an arrogant ass hole. "Does what it takes to win games" (for example: "parking the bus" aka crowding the box against the other team and relying on a breakthrough). They beat Liverpool (my team) last week by doing this. Mourinho is also a sharp dresser.

Honestly don't know how I feel about him. I hate him but at the same time I think he's kinda the man

Jose did not leave Chelsea for Real Madrid.

He got sacked at Chelsea. Went to Inter Milan. Then Real Madrid, got "sacked." Now back at Chelsea.

Jose did not leave Chelsea for Real Madrid.

He got sacked at Chelsea. Went to Inter Milan. Then Real Madrid, got "sacked." Now back at Chelsea.

Whatever. Moral of the story is he's back at Chelsea. There you go again being a "prick"

Great team to pull for. Have been mediocre for a while but finally starting to turn the corner. Sweet red unis. Great history and crowd support. Disregard anything dv7 says since he has a pathological hatred of Liverpool.

Manchester City, Man United's rivals, have a direct sporting partnership with the Yankees. Therefore, United are not the Yankees. More like the Cardinals -- still spend a shit ton more than most other teams, but not the top level, win a lot of titles.

United don't spend as much NOW, but in building their empire they spent as much, if not more, as anyone.

doesn't man u have a player/coach now?

Ryan Giggs.

But he won't be the manager next season.

Looks good in a suit though. Did fuck his brother's wife... that wasn't cool, Ryan. Dick move.

article-2613939-1D6189B900000578-479_634x450.jpg

Manchester United do have swagger though.

We are just one of those teams that you see now and then
We often score six, but we seldom score ten
We beat em at home and we beat em away
We kill any bastards that get in are way
We are the pride of all Europe
The cock of the north
We hate the Scousers
The Cockneys of course (AND LEEDS)
We are United, without any doubt
We are the Manchester boys

Tons of swag. Supporters include Nelson Mandela (RIP), Samuel L Jackson, Clive Owen, and Daniel JAMES BOND Craig. So much swag in that group.

United don't spend as much NOW, but in building their empire they spent as much, if not more, as anyone.

Already posted spending totals where United have spend the 4th most since the foundation of the Premier League in 1992.

I always watch World Cup and Euro, but lets say I was going to pick a team and start following club soccer. Lets make it one of the powers so I'd be able to find a way to watch a fair number of their games (plus, already have Wake so it'd be nice for my new team to win occassionally): Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Milan, Inter, Juventus.

Man U is the Yankees/Notre Dame, right?
Are some hated by pretty much everyone except their own fans (Ohio State) while others are hated by their rivals but everyone else is fairly neutral (Michigan)?
Do any of their fans have specific stereotypes (e.g., Black Hole Oakland Raiders fans, notoriously nice Nebraska Cornhuskers fans, etc.)?

Give me a team to cheer for.

Just so you know: I've been a fan of the PL for years, and in the last ~5 I've become a serious one. I still have yet to figure out exactly what team to support. Give it time. If you figure out a way of falling in love with a team that isn't an easy putt (United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea), let me know.

Already posted spending totals where United have spend the 4th most since the foundation of the Premier League in 1992.

Yes, I get that - but as I already posted, United's was done consistently. Clubs like City skew the totals, as their spending is relatively recent (though overwhelming).

Another thing: 4th is "top level"

Back