• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas School Board: Still really fucking stupid

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013...empts-to-limit-evolution-in-school-textbooks/

That process has reached the point where the board invited outside experts to critique the textbooks. In keeping with the school board's history, that process has also gone badly astray. Rather than choosing scientific experts and educators, the school board chose two people (Walter Bradley and Raymond Bohlin) who have been involved in the Discovery Institute, the organization that has backed the intelligent design movement. Bradley in particular was involved in crafting the wedge document, which calls for a cultural effort to get rid of science's focus on natural causes in the hope that it would advance theistic views.

In the evaluation of one textbook, a reviewer openly advocated for introducing religion into the science classroom. "I understand the National Academy of Science's strong support of the theory of evolution. At the same time, this is a theory. As an educator, parent, and grandparent, I feel very firmly that 'creation science' based on biblical principles should be incorporated into every biology book that is considered for adoption. Students should have the opportunity to use their critical thinking skills to weigh the evidence between evolution and 'creation science.'"

As a parent and a Christian, I feel very firmly that "creation science" based on biblical principles should be incorporated into an elective comparative religion class where the creation myths of Hindus, Buddhist, Australian Aborigines, and Apache Indians are given equal time.

Otherwise, GTFO.

Teach science in science classes. It's that simple.

As a parent and a Christian, I feel very firmly that "creation science" based on biblical principles should be incorporated into an elective comparative religion class where the creation myths of Hindus, Buddhist, Australian Aborigines, and Apache Indians are given equal time.

Otherwise, GTFO.

I actually believe a comparative religions class (assuming teachers would be objective) would be incredibly beneficial to American high school students. Other than individual personal faith, this is the appropriate place for God(s) in schools. The biggest barrier to a comparative religion class for a majority of communities would not be atheists but the same Christians that shout about the abandonment of freedom of religion.

Sadly such a class would be a complete cluster for a variety of reasons.

You're probably right. So I will go with my alternative approach, GTFO.

I also enjoyed Mr. Fundamentalists' comments about teaching myth in a science class and asking the students to use their "critical thinking skills" to tell the difference. That's a great idea, let's also teach them that you get sick when you piss off God vs. germ theory and let them employ critical thinking skills on that too.

You're probably right. So I will go with my alternative approach, GTFO.

I also enjoyed Mr. Fundamentalists' comments about teaching myth in a science class and asking the students to use their "critical thinking skills" to tell the difference. That's a great idea, let's also teach them that you get sick when you piss off God vs. germ theory and let them employ critical thinking skills on that too.

I'm assuming there will be a chapter on growing hair on your palms from jaggin off, right?

Sadly such a class would be a complete cluster for a variety of reasons.

Absolutely. For one, the second you encourage students to use their "critical thinking skills" to talk about and analyze religions on an equal playing field, parents in rural communities will LOSE THEIR SHIT.

Absolutely. For one, the second you encourage students to use their "critical thinking skills" to talk about and analyze religions on an equal playing field, parents in rural communities will LOSE THEIR SHIT.

liberal government brainwashing at its finest

Obama's fault

it's so irritating when people say evolution is "just a theory." it's very disingenuous

well, there's plenty of idiots who still believe that praying to God trumps medical treatment, so I guess they haven't accepted germ "theory" either. I mean that is some serious medieval shit right there.

"...In the wake of the outbreak, the church’s pastor and Kenneth Copeland’s daughter, Terri Copeland Pearsons, was urging congregants take advantage of a couple of free vaccination clinics the church suddenly has on offer or to self quarantine at home for two weeks if they didn’t want to receive vaccinations."

So God called their bluff. "Your faith is so strong that you won't vaccinate your children? Here, have some measles. Test me again, bitch"

There are so few high school teachers who could competently teach a comparative religions class. Let alone a required class.

There are so few high school teachers who could competently teach a comparative religions class. Let alone a required class.

TX Comparative Religions Class :

Muslims -godless killing barbarians that want to bring Sharia Law to the US

Buddhists -Look for the fat boy in restaurants-they believe you will become a cow not go to heaven after you die

Jews- They killed Jesus

Catholics- fags who like to wear dresses

well perhaps NC could attract qualified teachers if we paid a competitive salary.

I'd argue that no matter what you paid high school teachers you'd be hard pressed to find enough who'd be able to teach a halfway worthwhile class on comparative religion.

Back