• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #Buzzout #Wellmanout Billboard: Development Thread

Somebody had the best idea a few pages back:

We believe in Wake Forest, not Ron Wellman.

FireWellman.com FireBz.com

While I have lost faith in him, Wellman is very popular with the BoT. You guys are making a mistake making this about Wellman. Keep it about Bzzz. You will never get the BoT to can Wellman...he is too tight with them. They don't have a personal relationship with [Redacted] (who could?). Just bang the drum slowly all summer and fall...

Fire Bzzz Fire Bzzz Fire Bzzz... keep it going...

Make this about Wellman and you will line the BoT's up behind him like a squad of Marines.

I agree. We can't type up a master's thesis on why Wellman sucks on a billboard. I think Ph has a point in the first 2 points, but the 3rd requires a degree of detail that is too much and that, frankly, is a much less convincing argument than if we just stick to his Buzz connection/problems. It requires bringing lesser revenue sports into the equation when all people know about is basketball (1st #1 rankings ever with Wellman's hires), football (an unheard of Orange Bowl with Wellman's hire), and maybe something about Wake field hockey (Wellman hire). That 3rd point is just not going to be a good sell to the people who need selling.

Buzz sucks. Buzz = Wellman. BuzzOut. WellmanOut.

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

"Why can't Ron Wellman admit the biggest mistake of his career?" Followed by "Jeff [Redacted] has one of the worst records in ACC history." Firebz.com

I'm in the lets just get something up camp. The longer we stall the less people will pay attention

You could pull the Director's Cup standings for the ACC across those years. Even though Wake's run through the early Prosser/Grobe years was pretty good, maybe the average would still be poor.

I did "pull the Director's Cup standings." The completed results for the last 19 years are up on their website. This year's standings will make 20 years. This year's scores are on the site but they are not complete so they were not included in the info below.

Director's Cup Summary...
Comparing Wake's scores to our counterparts in the ACC:

Only once in the last 19 years has Wake finished in the upper third (barely) of the ACC.
Wake has finished in the bottom half of the conference 13 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished in the bottom third of the conference 9 of the 19 years.
Wake has finished last in the conference for the last two years in a row.

Obviously our AD is not being judged based on our performance in the Director's Cup...

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

Those ACC only results make for an interesting spreadsheet.

Last edited:
I think people still care. They also know we're stuck for now and nothing is going to change for at least another year.

thats kind of what I mean. People won't care till November when this dumpster fire is burning hot again

April 2 Update:

1.) For those of you frustrated with the lag time on this: I hear and understand you. I want you to know that there is absolutely no indecision or stalling going on here; it's just simple logistics. The earliest quotes we got were for April 1st billboard windows, but we were below the Crowdtilt target at that time, and there was no way for me to actually receive the funds by that time. As it stands, I'm currently waiting on the funds from Crowdtilt-- I didn't realize that I had to actually end the campaign for them to credit my account after it tilted, and so that's now been done. I'm not sure how long the turnaround on that credit is, but I'm sure it'll be made within the week. Edit: I just got an email that said it will take 1-2 business days. I will let everybody know the specific plan for boards and timeframes when that happens.

2.) This post by phdeac is absolutely the direction we need the conversation to go. We need to outline exactly what we want any anti-Wellman message to accomplish, and we need to figure out how to tailor any attack against him (this goes beyond the billboard and into the campaign as a whole). We sort of were able to skip this step when it concerned anti-Bz messages, because a lot of that was obviously quantitative and straightforward. Any anti-Wellman argument is going to have some subjectivity to it, and we need to figure out how to best address that.

3.) I absolutely agree that the message of the billboard is sort of unimportant at this point, and rest assured that the message is not the holdup here. When we're ready to go with a specific billboard spot, I guarantee that we'll be ready to go on the message front, too. I trust vt wholeheartedly here, and what I know about the message so far as a whole has me ecstatic. This is why point #2 on this update is so important-- we need to help work the overall message into something that is effective and easily understood even beyond this billboard.

4.) All this being said: If it's not obvious by now, this campaign is explicitly targeting Wellman, and [Redacted] is now an implicit background target. That's not really up for debate at this point; while I understand concerns that the BoT is behind Wellman, I don't think that needs to be concrete, nor do I think it will be with the right media campaign against him.

Last edited:
I agree RedSoxFaithful, Wellman should be the target. Buzz will be collateral damage at this point. Buzz probably pinches himself every day because he can't believe that he can continue his losing ways, be protected and apologized for by the AD, and keep his well paying job. Wellman's arrogance, ignorance and indifference should be the main focus of the ads, in my humble opinion. I also feel that the ads should be timed to keep the fires stoked and the pressure high. But let's not blow our wad too soon. Let build a slow, steady campaign that is very strategic in timing and focus that will keep Ronnie's ass on the hotplate all through the spring and summer.

How about this...

WAKE Up Wellman!

#WellmanOut
www.firebz.com

I thought using the Wake term might be an interesting word play beyond the obvious alma mater since it has multiple definitions ranging from to awaken, to funeral, to as a consequence of.

This would be helpful b/c it could mean different things to different people to trigger action > interest, > link clinks to see what the hell is going. Just a thought.

Last edited:
How about this...

WAKE Up Wellman!

#WellmanOut
www.firebz.com

I thought using the Wake term might be an interesting word play beyond the obvious alma mater since it has multiple definitions ranging from to awaken, to funeral, to as a consequence of.

this is my fave so far

Idea.

Picture this... The billboard has a picture of Ron Wellman with a really outsized head. The caption says, "President Hatch, We have a problem..."

Idea.

Picture this... The billboard has a picture of Ron Wellman with a really outsized head. The caption says, "President Hatch, We have a problem..."

And the root of the WHOLE problem may be Hatch since he obviously rubber stamps all that his boy Wellman does. While he was @ N.D. was that the period when they were very deficient in the athletic department?

And the root of the WHOLE problem may be Hatch since he obviously rubber stamps all that his boy Wellman does. While he was @ N.D. was that the period when they were very deficient in the athletic department?

Not a fan of Hatch.

Idea.

Actually, that is one of the good things about the idea. It points out that Wellman is Hatch's problem.

Actually, that is one of the good things about the idea. It points out that Wellman is Hatch's problem.

In the grand scheme of things that are Wake Forest, Wellman is merely an upper level executive of one large ''division'' (Buzz is only a shitty branch manager). While he heads this division, the mismanagement of his own division falls on his shoulders only to the extent that he is allowed to continue letting it fail more each year. The failure of top leadership to recognize this incompetence and take necessary action goes against all logic. This leads me to believe that top leadership has a less obvious initiative; one not based on profit, winning, or national attention, but something else. Who knows what it is.. I'm sure we all have ideas that might be somewhat accurate, but something is entirely off here. It's not possible for all levels of leadership across this school to be failing in conjunction without some sort of unpopular, misguided purpose.

I think #WellmanOUT should make 3 basic arguments.

1. Ron Wellman was hypocritical, dishonest, and inefficient in his handling of Dino's fire and Bz' hire.
--We can use the contradictory quotes from Dino's extension and Dino's firing to support this.
--Blow up the culture argument by showing the negative events happened under Bz' watch.
--In addition, we can show that giving Dino an extension then firing him 6 months later cost the university money even though we don't know how much. Along with that, by waiting to fire Dino and hire Bz until after the Final Four, Wellman triggered the clause that forced Bz (or by extension Wake) to pay $500,000 to Colorado.

2. Ron Wellman is delusional about the current state of Wake basketball and ignores the obvious facts.
--Plenty of quotes in contrast with the FireBz.com stats show this.

3. Ron Wellman's success as an AD has come from coaches he did not hire. Coaches he has hired have generally not been successful at Wake Forest.
--The 3 of 21 information makes this case. We could find team sports records as well.
--Decline in Director's Cup standings.
--Lack of current teams near the top of ACC standings.

Is this the case? I thought there was nothing we could do in terms of timing. If CU didn't break ground on their practice facility before the end of Bz's 3rd year, the buyout was voided. They broke ground, so the buyout stayed. Even if we had offered before they broke ground, it would have been before the end of the 3rd year, so the buyout would have still been in place. Can't find anything searching quickly, but I would be curious to hear what the screw up was. I definitely remember conversation about it at the time we hired Bz, but I thought it turned out that we (the royal we) were wrong and there wasn't anything Wellman could have done about the buyout if he hired Bz.

We PAID Colorado for Buzz?! #FireWELLMAN #PayForLOSER''

They broke ground on March 24. The Miami ACCT game was March 11. The UK game was on March 20. If Bz was hired as quickly after the UK game as he was after the championship game, we could have avoided it.

Back