• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The cupboard is hardly "bare"

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Much of the disappointment with outgoing staff was the inability to coax the talent out of the players...a coaching trait they once had in abundance. One thing,however,rarely failed them...throughout his tenure his staff could spot raw physical ability and it's potential for expansion. Sure, they had a period where the regime attempted to develop a pipeline mentality which would ease the academic scrambling--- Florida private schools which had an impressive run in the 90's and early 2000's. So, a perfect storm of declining prospects and dwindling fire in the belly contributed to several lackluster efforts coming off the Orange Bowl (with regard to touted system players)

But, the new blood on that old staff had been successful in returning WF back to Mack Brown's early 90's assessment of North Carolina recruiting... "You gotta get the best athlete possible and then plug him into a position".

Derrick Jackson understood this. So did Hime and Stubbs. These guys recruited some killer athletes -- from Tyree Harris to Wendell Dunn to Lance Virgille to Duke Ejiofor to Shelldon Lewinson, Marquel Lee, Teddy Matthews and Julian Thomas Jackson.

We Have some players at Wake Forest. We just need an infusion of player development and stone cold belief in a system that has produced championships at 3 tiers of college football to date.

Last edited:
The contrast between Lectro's opinion of the former football staff and that of the current basketball staff is... perplexing.
I was of the opinion that it was time for a change in football, but at least that group accomplished something at some point.

Johnny Armstrong is an example. A guy that the last staff could not figure out how to plug in with Campanaro or fully utilize his special team prowess. Armstrong is the fastest guy on the team and he has a long football background. He is a seasoned player so I'm looking forward to what the new staff does with him.

Johnny Armstrong is an example. A guy that the last staff could not figure out how to plug in with Campanaro or fully utilize his special team prowess. Armstrong is the fastest guy on the team and he has a long football background. He is a seasoned player so I'm looking forward to what the new staff does with him.

Lectro, answer my question please. I feel like you're not engaging with the fanbase. Did you watch the NFL today? How bout them Panthers!

He's what, 19? What the fuck does that even mean you false prophet?

Been awhile since I've been pumped up this far in advance of a season .

Excited for what Coach Clawson brings and what he has to work with. I know he and the other coaches are impressed. It's a step up.

Excited for what Coach Clawson brings and what he has to work with. I know he and the other coaches are impressed. It's a step up.

Been awhile? I call bullshit. You have threads like this nearly every December and/or January.

Have you ever been to a Brazilian steakhouse?

GUYS. Quit being mean to Lectro! I'm asking questions!

He's what, 19? What the fuck does that even mean you false prophet?

Well, it means he is very comfortable on the field. He is not new to the game and there is something unique or even uncanny about the football awareness of kids who have played all their lives.

A kid like Campanaro would be that type

A sandlot player -- punt pass and kick kind of footballer. A gym rat with great court awareness. Some kids are blazing fast but don't know how to govern their speed... they don't have the feel to set up blocking or see run lanes.

Last edited:
The problem is not that the cupboard is completely bare. The problem is we have some large gaping holes in some key positions. We're very likely going to be forced into starting a true freshman at quarterback. There are so many holes to fill that if Clawson can produce a winning season in his first year it will be very impressive.

Well, it means he is very comfortable on the field. He is not new to the game and there is something unique or even uncanny about the football awareness of kids who have played all their lives.

A sandlot player -- punt pass and kick kind of footballer. A gym rat with great court awareness. Some kids are blazing fast but don't know how to govern their speed... they don't have the feel to set up blocking or see run lanes.

So you have idea what you are talking about and are completely full of shit.

Cool

I think it's fair to say it's been awhile since most of is have been this pumped up prior to football season. #ClawsIn is looking good on the recruiting trail.

What is the athletic scouting version of psycho-babble called? Whatever it is called, this is the definition.

Back