• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Ocean Course

uncaboref

Reaction score
Help me out, all-knowledgable Pit.....I'm trying to decide if I want to play the Ocean Course using the PGA Championship ticket holder discount (about 20% off the regular rate) when I'm down in Charleston in a few weeks.....I usually spend about that much on 4-5 rounds of golf, but this may be the "cheapest" I'll ever be able to play it.

As a follow-up, my time down there kind of overlaps with the week they are planning on setting it up to play just like it will in 2012 for the PGA (7,600 yards, same rough/green speed/etc..). Would I be kicking myself later for trying to play it in those conditions? I'm a pretty decent golfer, but have never played a course longer than 7,150 yards, so the thought of adding another 25-30 yards per hole on top of those yardages is somewhat frightening. Golf is supposed to be fun, after all. :thumbsup:

Who here has played the course before? Worth it as a once-in-a-lifetime type deal?

The land and location is the best thing going for it. Otherwise, I thought it was too hard for a hacker like me, which made it frustrating instead of memorable. Playing in the summer when its hotter than hades didn't help either.

Maybe do it just to say you have, but I don't have much interest in playing it again. I feel the same way about Harbor Town at HHI - can't justify the cost when there are 10 other courses in just as good condition and $200 cheaper.

i played a different kiawah course once and it was so goddamn windy by the ocean that it wasn't even fun. i was hitting 6 irons like 110.

I would say definitely play it. Probably not at 7600 yards though. Unless you are close to tour long, my bet is you won't be able to carry some of the marshes on some of the into the wind holes.

Have not played it personally and have heard it is very difficult, but would definitely recommend playing it. It is a gorgeous course and it will be cool to say you have played it.

I would say definitely play it. Probably not at 7600 yards though. Unless you are close to tour long, my bet is you won't be able to carry some of the marshes on some of the into the wind holes.

Yeah, I was concerned about that, nowhere near "tour" long (probably 250-275 off the tee for the most part)....I don't want the wind to whip up 30-40 degrees on my lucky day and make some holes darn near impossible. My usual target yardage is 6600-6800 yards, which is the Ocean tees there.....can't imagine tacking on another 45-50 yards to each hole yardage on top of that.

Played the Ocean Course last October and no regrets. Regarding the appropriate yardages, we had caddies and they helped tremendously in convincing us of the right club to hit in the right situation. Then again, wind wasn't too much of a factor the day we played.

I'd say go for it - not often you get a chance like that IMO.

It's been close to 20 years since I played there (actually right after it opened and right before the Ryder Cup), but I bet there are some holes where you have to carry it at least 250 yds from the very back tees just to reach land. If the wind is blowing hard that day, you would have to fly it close to 280 yards just to carry it, if playing into the wind.

I know it would be cool to play a course from where the pros play, but if you only hit it that far, that would be down right miserable. Play it from your normal yardage and it will still be plenty of a test. My brother played it last year and he's a -2 handicap and he said it was very tough. That was in non PGA Champ conditions.

Amazing course. I played it a couple years ago and was a 4. The wind was blowing 30-40 the whole round and we played from the 4th of 6 tees, and I still struggled to break 85.

Our caddy told us to throw down balls off the pro tee on 17 and hit and it as almost impossible to hit the gree, it's a hell of a carry.

It's been close to 20 years since I played there (actually right after it opened and right before the Ryder Cup), but I bet there are some holes where you have to carry it at least 250 yds from the very back tees just to reach land. If the wind is blowing hard that day, you would have to fly it close to 280 yards just to carry it, if playing into the wind.

That was 20 years ago? Wow.

The last few times I played there it was in rough shape although I've heard it's been better lately. If you do play there, do your caddy a favor and be generous with calling balls lost. Most of them are the proud sort that will trudge through the dry marsh for five minutes looking for your ball.

You should play it just to say you have played it but the River Course is better. I will tell you this if the wind is blowing the ocean course is a bitch. I played 150 yd par 3 with a 5 wood and I came up 10 yds short. I usually hit a 5 wood 200 - 220 yds.

You should play it just to say you have played it but the River Course is better. I will tell you this if the wind is blowing the ocean course is a bitch. I played 150 yd par 3 with a 5 wood and I came up 10 yds short. I usually hit a 5 wood 200 - 220 yds.

Unless you are a member and are inviting me on to play the River Course, :thumbsup: I'll just have to stick with the public access courses this time around. I have heard the River Course and Cassique are both great golf courses, though. I almost tried US Mid-Amateur qualifying a couple of years ago when those courses hosted in 2009.

Early weather forecasts show not too much wind for next weekend, so that will at least give me a fighting chance.

Yeah, I was concerned about that, nowhere near "tour" long (probably 250-275 off the tee for the most part)....I don't want the wind to whip up 30-40 degrees on my lucky day and make some holes darn near impossible. My usual target yardage is 6600-6800 yards, which is the Ocean tees there.....can't imagine tacking on another 45-50 yards to each hole yardage on top of that.

If you hit it 275 that's plenty long. 50+ guys on tour don't average 275. Plus, the yardage is misleading. It's a 5% increase to go from 7100 to 7500.

If you can shoot high 70's low 80's in a pressure setting, I'd say go play it.

If you hit it 275 that's plenty long. 50+ guys on tour don't average 275. Plus, the yardage is misleading. It's a 5% increase to go from 7100 to 7500.

If you can shoot high 70's low 80's in a pressure setting, I'd say go play it.

The difference is a tour guys 275 is really an average guys 300 yard drive because the pros relate it all to carry (when personally talking to them, not stats) so if you fly it 275 you would be okay. Ive playwd twl of the courses from the cliffs the past two days and my bro and I played from around 7100 both days. Yesterdag was manageable but today was a moster due to rain/soggy conditions. We both hit it 245-265 carry fwi

the average guy's 250-275 is really 240-250 with the occasional rip to 275

the average guy's 250-275 is really 240-250 with the occasional rip to 275

Exactly. I probably hit it 275 about 1/4th of the time. I certainly don't carry it 275 hardly ever since I have a pretty low ball flight.

Back