• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

Here's a good prop bet.

Will Harry Giles score more than 102 points in his first NBA season?

I'll go over. I'm thinking he drops to the late first round to a good team who can take a (big) risk, and he gets a lot of garbage 4th quarter points.

He certainly may! ESPN mock draft 3.3 Harry Giles going # 11

11. Miami Heat

Harry Giles
Duke
Freshman
Forward

Giles remains the trickiest prospect in the draft to evaluate. He's playing anywhere from seven to 18 minutes a game. When he plays 14 minutes or more, good things seem to happen in flashes. But overall, he still doesn't look like the Giles we saw in high school. It will be hard for teams to draft him over some of the less talented but less risky players above him.

I don't think the Heat (or Wolves, for that matter) should pass on him, though. His upside is as high as anyone's in the draft. He's shaking off a lot of rust right now, but when he gets fully healthy, he has superstar potential.

If the Heat can grab him here, they'll be thrilled. His work ethic and toughness fit Miami's culture perfectly. In a year or two, this pick could be the steal of the draft.

That was last updated on February 22nd. The next update will be significant, given March Madness and a better picture of who is declaring.

Seems like the type of player who will score 12 points and get 8 rebounds in a west coast back-to-back as a backup. Then the local paper will do a big story on how he's starting to live up to his potential. Four months later he'll be traded for a backup point guard with an expiring contract.

is it wrong to hope he is the last guy sitting in the green room? i feel like his father deserves that.

Let's all keep in mind the parable of the broken knees when we really, really think we want something. Sobering lesson for me really.

Never estimate the stupidity of nba front offices. Giles is going top 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never estimate the stupidity of nba front offices. Giles is going top 15.

Yes. Apparently his knee tendons and ligaments have the potential to be just as good as his old ones. I don't know how an NBA front office can see that from watching tape but...

By my quick count, there were 38 rookies who scored more than 102 points this year.

By my quick count, there were 38 rookies who scored more than 102 points this year.

The under folks are counting on limited minutes, NBDL time, and/or injuries I think. If he's getting 5-10 minutes a game for anywhere close to 70 games, of course he'll get there.

The under folks are counting on limited minutes, NBDL time, and/or injuries I think. If he's getting 5-10 minutes a game for anywhere close to 70 games, of course he'll get there.

Assuming he's healthy, I assume he will be playing a lot of minutes in the D League.

Yes. Apparently his knee tendons and ligaments have the potential to be just as good as his old ones. I don't know how an NBA front office can see that from watching tape but...

His private workouts will mean more for him than any pick in recent memory

His craptastc year also makes it more likely he'll be drafted by a good team that doesn't need him to play real minutes any time soon.

NESN mock draft as of today:

#10 John Collins to the Dallas Mavericks
# 19 Harry Giles III to the Atlanta Hawks

Harry is the type that of player that if a late lotto team takes a chance on him it'll be "that's why bad teams stay bad" but if a good team takes him like 10 picks later it's seen as a genius move.

Back