• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The official LOL Harry Giles thread

LOL. Nobody wanted [Redacted]. Giles was a disappointment because people thought he'd be good. Huge difference.

LOL. Nobody wanted [Redacted]. Giles was a disappointment because people thought he'd be good. Huge difference.

ronnie knew he would be good... 81, braces...

i'm mostly kidding and just pointing to results. though [Redacted] did have a very special way of getting nothing out of raw talent just like harry did. and by that i mean all levels (mostly low) talent played worse under him.

I think Giles would have been a lot better for us than duke. The reality is that there is only room for one big man in dukes offense. Jefferson was the best big on the roster and so he got the role. Giles never had a chance. In our system he would have played some 4 and 5 and would have had a Collins like opportunity to exploit some mismatches.

I think he is probably still a top 10 pick if he comes here based on the hype and the offensive numbers he would have fallen into here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he came to Wake and didn't get injured, it's likely he'd still be the #1 pick. That choice may have cost him tens of millions of dollars.

If he came to Wake and didn't get injured, it's likely he'd still be the #1 pick. That choice may have cost him tens of millions of dollars.
:wtf:

Yeah, he wouldnt be the number 1 pick. But there is a decent chance he would have fallen only to bottom half of the lottery. He clearly wasn't the kind of player that everyone thought he was. For example...he isn't as good as this guy.....

or this guy

Without the last knee injuries he was better than either. He was much better than either as a junior.

I think Giles would have been a lot better for us than duke. The reality is that there is only room for one big man in dukes offense. Jefferson was the best big on the roster and so he got the role. Giles never had a chance. In our system he would have played some 4 and 5 and would have had a Collins like opportunity to exploit some mismatches.

I think he is probably still a top 10 pick if he comes here based on the hype and the offensive numbers he would have fallen into here.

Do you think Manning would have played Giles and Collins together? He may have been forced to but I'm not sure it would have been a good fit.

I don't think any big would have been picked 1st in this class given the status of bigs in the league and the talent at PG.

Yes. I think Giles would have played next Collins a lot. Right or wrong we would have worked to make the Giles signing successful.

The "would he have played Collins and Giles " next to eachother is my favorite question this season.

Yup, Giles would have sat behind Dinos

Clearly but draft analysis is hilarious in the way that it's colored by the decision maker when that should have no impact on any previous thoughts on the player.

He's got a lot of red flags so bad team is dumb, red flags make him drop so good team gets a value. Well should he have dropped or not?

Part of the valuation is the availability of other players. At say the 5th pick in the draft, there are a lot of players without as many red flags and hence drafting Giles is a bigger crapshoot.

Later in the draft, say the last five picks of the first round, there just aren't players evaluated as "can't miss" future NBA stars. Therefore, taking a high risk, potentially high ceiling guy at say pick 29 is a good move.

The bottom line then is how much of a risk taker is the GM with the #5 pick? If his high risk pick works, he is a genius. If it doesn't, then that is why bad teams stay bad. Even the 76ers' under Hinkie were aware of this. That is why he was stockpiling #assets. Odds are better that two of half a dozen top 5 picks are really good is much better than those of having two guys be really good out of two picks.

Isn't it easier to just say if he didn't get injured, he'd still be a top pick? The going to Wake part is irrelevant & Harry even stated that Kansas was his alternative option. With their lack of size this season let's conclude that if Harry went to Kansas & didn't get injured, they would have worked UNC on Saturday night & be lined up for Self's 2nd title with Harry & JJ being top 5 picks.

The injury was the problem. Where he chose to go had little impact.

While you are correct, you are failing to factor in Fate's Guiding Hand in rectifying the wrongs of ACC officiating. Dook players get all of the calls in college, and pay the price with career ending-shortening injuries. Ask Hurley, Jason Williams, Jabari Parker if you don't believe me. Hell, even Shaun Livingston paid the price and he never even showed up on campus.

Since K reversed mortgaged the last vestiges of the life estate on his soul to the Devil on OAD, the injuries have to come before college now. See Harry Giles and Bolden.

He wouldn't have been at Oak Hill where he got injured if he had chosen Wake. Who knows if he would have been injured if not there?

He wouldn't have been at Oak Hill where he got injured if he had chosen Wake. Who knows if he would have been injured if not there?

WTF man ? So his first injury was back at home, but going to Oak Hill somehow increases his chance for a second injury ?

What if he had stayed home and gotten injured again ? Would that have been Wake's fault ?

What If his parents never had sex he would have never been born. Who knows if he would have come to Wake then?

You may be correct, but he looked poorly coached: not even an effort to post up and totally lost on defense. The only thing he did reasonably well was rebound the ball. His wondering around lost on both end of the floors was not a good reflection on "big man coach" Capel.

I don't post here often and I know it is common to ridicule RJ but there is a lot of truth to his post. Giles worked hard to rehab his knee and played for USA basketball the summer before his senior year of HS. It is my understanding that we advised him to take a break after the summer and rest his knee. Coach K was desperate to get him out of Winston and away from Manning and Childress. K advised him to go to Oak Hill for that reason. Oak Hill is notorious for their intense conditioning workouts so Giles did not get the rest he needed to aid in his recovery. It is reasonable to surmise that contributed to his injury at Oak Hill. Of course, if he stayed in Winston he could have gotten run over by a bus. But it is also possible the second ACL injury never happens in W-S. Nor the last injury at Duke.

Back