• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I run with headphones and tunes and it is awesome. Of course I also run on a sidewalk or greenway or on small neighborhood streets instead of the middle of the road.

Depends on the injury. Simple muscle soreness, I push through unless its really bad. On the other hand, I have a hip impingement that causes me extreme soreness and pain if I run more than about 25 miles a week. If that bad boy flares up, I switch over to a pure weight training program for a few weeks to let it die down.

It's not so sore I can't stand it. It's just lingering and I'm afraid of it getting worse.

you've got to learn the difference between soreness and pain. if it's just soreness, push through. if it's pain, don't push through.

What's everyone's cutoff for running with soreness / pain?

After running last weekend and hiking the next day, I noticed some soreness in my left semitendinosus/semimembranosus, below my hip. I didn't run during the week last week so I'd be better for the weekend.

I got 3 miles down on Saturday before it started to get sore and I ended up walking a mile home. It's still sore today. Should I push through it (what I think) or should I take time off until it's not sore (wife thinks)?

take a couple days off, maybe reassess how it feels Wednesday.

take a couple days off, maybe reassess how it feels Wednesday.

And that's part of my problem. Tonight's my free night, tomorrow is soccer practice and my wife is gone the rest of the week. Having an 8yo means tonight is probably my last time until Saturday.

After running last weekend and hiking the next day, I noticed some soreness in my left semitendinosus/semimembranosus, below my hip. I didn't run during the week last week so I'd be better for the weekend.

I got 3 miles down on Saturday before it started to get sore and I ended up walking a mile home. It's still sore today. Should I push through it (what I think) or should I take time off until it's not sore (wife thinks)?

About a half mile, give or take. Then it is time for a break, yo!

If the discomfort makes me change my stride, then I definitely don't run. don't nurse one injury and create another.

That said, sometimes I just don't run anyway, and I can use the smallest pain or soreness as an excuse.

I had hip issues earlier this year. I ended up taking 2 weeks off before I was back to normal. Also try doing some hip opener exercises as these will help the pain, etc.

And that's part of my problem. Tonight's my free night, tomorrow is soccer practice and my wife is gone the rest of the week. Having an 8yo means tonight is probably my last time until Saturday.

it's obviously easier to tell someone else not to run then to actually do it yourself but I'd just wait until the weekend to run again. Missing the week won't affect your fitness level. I probably err on the side of caution with regards to being sore/hurt/injured FWIW

New Years Resolution done. Over 1,000 miles for the year. (Technically was over at some point on my 20 miler Sunday). Revised goal in March or so was 1,200. 1,025 as of tonight.

Hoops are you really running the Doctor Who 50K this weekend? I'm planning on running 20 of it and using it as my last long run before Berlin. It should be fun.

I was out running last night at about 8:30. Completely dark. I get stopped by an old lady walking a dog that is completely fucking lost. Apparently she is visiting her Son and Daughter-in-law, went for a walk about 6:00 (still light out) and got turned around/completely lost. She was in the wrong neighborhood and over 1.5 miles away from the house she was looking for. She didn't have a cell phone and couldn't remember her son or daughter in law's phone numbers. I had to walk her all the way to the house she was looking for (at little old lady pace) and then run home. Ruined my run, but I count it as my good deed for the day.

Last edited:
New Years Resolution done. Over 1,000 miles for the year. (Technically was over at some point on my 20 miler Sunday). Revised goal in March or so was 1,200. 1,025 as of tonight.

Big congrats on that df07. You've been running hard and strong all year and from the tidbits posted here and on the CT, training well for Marine Corps. Really awesome to watch the progress as the year has gone on. It's one of the things that I love about running. seeing others strive for and achieve great things.

Marine Corps will be awesome for you.

Greetings runners. After two and a half months of not running and a stint with physical therapy that just made the pain worse, I finally got my answer on the pain in my butt-down my leg.

What was originally thought to be a severely tight pirformis muscle which was causing sciatica, an MRI today revealed I in fact have a major herniation of my L5-S1 disk that will require surgery. The good news is its just a micro-discectomy that will have me back up and walking the next day and if everything goes right, recovered in 3-4 weeks. Most exciting to me, if I am smart with the rehab of my back and everything goes well, I can be back to running in about 3 months. I was worried my running days were over so I'm as happy as can be for someone who just learned they have to have back surgery.

Good luck to all as you enter the fall marathon season. I'll be living vicariously through you for a while but at least now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just another update from a rook, I just finished my first 5k, Coaches vs Cancer at BC, earlier this morning. The BC basketball team sponsors it and I got a chance to talk to BC coach Steve Donahue. I told him I was a Wake grad/fan and he brought up Bz, he's very #BuzzIn, fwiw and he seemed sincere, not just patronizing me. I'll spare the details.

Anyway, I have no desire to turn this thread in a Bz direction, but it did fit.

This may not be weird, but it seems counterintuitive that my best running days occur when I have run a couple days in a row. Like, if I run on back-to-back days, the 2nd day is usually my better time. I always think I'll be faster on fresh legs, but that's not the case.

Just another update from a rook, I just finished my first 5k, Coaches vs Cancer at BC, earlier this morning. The BC basketball team sponsors it and I got a chance to talk to BC coach Steve Donahue. I told him I was a Wake grad/fan and he brought up Bz, he's very #BuzzIn, fwiw and he seemed sincere, not just patronizing me. I'll spare the details.

Anyway, I have no desire to turn this thread in a Bz direction, but it did fit.

Congrats.

(and buzzout).

Back