• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Greetings runners. After two and a half months of not running and a stint with physical therapy that just made the pain worse, I finally got my answer on the pain in my butt-down my leg.

What was originally thought to be a severely tight pirformis muscle which was causing sciatica, an MRI today revealed I in fact have a major herniation of my L5-S1 disk that will require surgery. The good news is its just a micro-discectomy that will have me back up and walking the next day and if everything goes right, recovered in 3-4 weeks. Most exciting to me, if I am smart with the rehab of my back and everything goes well, I can be back to running in about 3 months. I was worried my running days were over so I'm as happy as can be for someone who just learned they have to have back surgery.

Good luck to all as you enter the fall marathon season. I'll be living vicariously through you for a while but at least now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

great to hear that you may be returning to running soon. good luck with the surgery and rehab.

If anyone needs a RoadID or needs to update their existing/try a new band, if you use the link below that'd be swell.

http://RoadID.com/invite/3VDGQ

[soapbox]If you do anything outside (or at a gym) and don't carry an ID... you should. Period. It doesn't matter if you're with other people, if you run on busy well-trafficked roads, whatever. There may (but hopefully, hopefully not) come a time where you can't speak for yourself and people will need to know things about you and let someone know what's going on; RoadID does that. Lots of options in terms of size, band, color, etc. Get one. Best $20 accessory you can buy.[/soapbox]

If anyone needs a RoadID or needs to update their existing/try a new band, if you use the link below that'd be swell.

[soapbox]If you do anything outside (or at a gym) and don't carry an ID... you should. Period. It doesn't matter if you're with other people, if you run on busy well-trafficked roads, whatever. There may (but hopefully, hopefully not) come a time where you can't speak for yourself and people will need to know things about you and let someone know what's going on; RoadID does that. Lots of options in terms of size, band, color, etc. Get one. Best $20 accessory you can buy.[/soapbox]

no soapbox in brackets needed. If you don't have a Road ID, get one, now. Also, for those that run with a smartphone, there is a Road ID app http://www.roadid.com/ecrumbs

Which one do you guys recommend? I'm not a big fan of things on my wrist, so was thinking about the shoe model. Does it flop around?

What are you getting out of this, E?

Which one do you guys recommend? I'm not a big fan of things on my wrist, so was thinking about the shoe model. Does it flop around?

I have the slim. It's hardly noticeable except that mine is too big and flops around a little. If it actually fit, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

I have had the classic velcro, I don't even notice it. This time (info update) I've decided to give the slim band a try. I believe the shoe model is designed to connect in two places so it shouldn't flop. Initially i thought about getting the shoe one, but given that I cycle that's not always a practical option for me. Plus, I've heard of some horrific accidents where people's shoes were knocked off, so I'd rather have it on my person.

I get credit if people purchase from the link. No harm/no foul if you don't go through that, but you should still get one.

I just got one. I've been putting this off. I don't run in what I consider dangerous environment, but you never know. I really needed to get it for mountain biking which I do alone way too much.

25 (20.2 mph) / 8 (7:59's) brick this AM.

I welcome the cooler weather....

What a stupid article. I would bet far more people run seriously now than 20-30 years ago. We had a 'murcan finish second in the 10,000m for the first time in 40 years last summer. Every race in our area is timed. And, more people run than 20-30 years ago, period. Running clubs of all levels are booming in popularity. A lot of runners who take it up after their college years run to burn calories, not to race. Not everyone is or needs to be fast. Increased fitness is a major net benefit to society.

In the end, more people are running fast, and more people are running overall. What is the problem again? The author sounds like a curmudgeon who longs for the days when only the most serious runners signed up for races. Get over it, grumps.

this is fantastic, and so true. in the sprint-tri circuit in this area, there will be 30 to 50 competitors in my age group... but when you look at times, really only 2 or 3 of us are racing. the women's 40-44 age group, on the other hand, is 10 competitors deep (out of a bigger field).

that doesn't take away from whatever effort everyone individually puts into their own event/training/execution, but it's just a lot of people doing a tri.

What a stupid article. I would bet far more people run seriously now than 20-30 years ago. We had a 'murcan finish second in the 10,000m for the first time in 40 years last summer. Every race in our area is timed. And, more people run than 20-30 years ago, period. Running clubs of all levels are booming in popularity. A lot of runners who take it up after their college years run to burn calories, not to race. Not everyone is or needs to be fast. Increased fitness is a major net benefit to society.

In the end, more people are running fast, and more people are running overall. What is the problem again? The author sounds like a curmudgeon who longs for the days when only the most serious runners signed up for races. Get over it, grumps.

I don't think he's begrudging anyone for being in the races - just making the point that the greater concentration of competitive athletes has skewed into the older age groups, when you'd expect it to be the younger guys (or gals).

A lot of runners who take it up after their college years run to burn calories

Isn't this sort of the author's point? The post-baby boomers generation is more interested in fitness and participation, rather than winning.

On the other hand, I buy your points about the general "competitiveness" of American distance running -- I think USDistance is currently experiencing a renaissance, of sorts.

Back