• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

"You almost never see this item in a home kitchen, but out in the world they're an essential ingredient," Bourdain wrote in his book, "Kitchen Confidential," about shallots, the onion's more mild cousin. "Shallots are one of the things — a basic prep item in every mise-en-place — that make restaurant food taste different from your food."

We cook with them quite a bit. Have also substituted onions for shallots a bunch in recipes when we didn't have one and couldn't really tell a difference. Interesting that they're supposed to be milder. I think I find a yellow or sweet onion to be milder.

when an airbnb says that they accept pets, albeit for an additional $200 or whatever, but then turn around and deny us because our dog is over 20 lbs.
So they only allow cats.

I cook with shallots on the reg, but not gonna lie if I have a white/yellow onion on hand I would not hesitate to swap them for a recipe as needed.

in general when a recipe says it's a 30-min meal or whatever but involves lots of chopping. now, I don't mind chopping but that obviously takes time aside from when stuff's actually cooking.

i gotta say, the best things blue apron every did for me was teach me better multi-dish prep coordination and also how to estimate actual prep time vs stated

cooks illustrated/test kitchen recipes are probably the best estimates out there, anecdotally speaking, but they don't take into account first-time tries.

for some reason, I really hate when a recipe lists an ingredient as "divided"

1 3/4 cups cream, divided

just tell me how much to use in each step, don't make me do math

unless you're just pronouncing it like a yankee in which case you should still spell it correctly

Back