• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Not true. Lia Thomas was the first trans person ever and she’s only been trans for 6 years so there is no way the day of recognition is 15 years old.
Unfortunately, this logic is sound.

by the way, does anyone have a good frame recommendation for my pic of jesus riding a dinosaur? Standard fair. Just a real man. An innocent man, riding a t rex.

Even at the most assholish reading of the New Testament, exactly what sin is a trans person committing?
Maybe the one showing god doesn't make mistakes, therefore trans people should be loved and cared for as the soul god put into their imperfect vessel with his purpose in mind.

Did I explain another fundamental, and purposeful targeted corruption of the teachings from the bible being used for personal grift and political gain?

according to that: 2014 was the first time this was recognized worldwide

I just follow the Golden rule and treat everyone the same…

I’m going to suggest that the golden rule as understood in a Christian sense doesn’t involve treating “everyone the same”.

I’ll grant this phrase is likely intended as an indication of being nonjudgmental, or even hinting at loving everyone equally.

So that’s fine, but I think needs further consideration.

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

So…loving God and neighbor as self. How does that look? I think if you’re looking for the Christian/biblical understanding you have to look at the depicted life of Jesus, yes?

And Jesus did not treat everyone the same. To some he was critical and angry even. To others he was compassionate. And if you study the difference it’s pretty difficult to land anywhere close to where the modern evangelical or Trumpublican community has sadly become entrenched and entangled.

Diggler, I’d sadly have to leave that church as well.

Let’s be honest…the Bible is a work of fiction. It does not track known history in any way. Everyone that wrote books in the Bible never met Jesus or any of the Apostles. They are at least 80 years after Jesus. That being said, it has also been manipulated many times over the years. The early books (they have) do not match the current same Bible books.

Make of that what you will…

Let’s be honest…the Bible is a work of fiction. It does not track known history in any way. Everyone that wrote books in the Bible never met Jesus or any of the Apostles. They are at least 80 years after Jesus. That being said, it has also been manipulated many times over the years. The early books (they have) do not match the current same Bible books.

Sounds like it could be an old History book.

Galatians and some other epistles probably around or just before 50 CE and Mark could have been as early as 60, but the point still stands.

while I share your skepticism, a few points in history lead me to believe that the Bible is generally true:
  • Paul's conversion. Why would a man who was well regarded in his society give it all up?
  • Gospel accounts of what morons the disciples seemed to be, constantly bickering. Why wouldn't they improve on their stories and make themselves look less idiotic unless they were attempting to tell the truth?
  • Death of martyrs - who would go to death for something that wasn't true?
  • Sure, some of these things might not be proven true beyond a reasonable doubt in court, given the skepticism of "hearsay," but it's hard for me to conceive of how this tiny religion that teaches humility and servanthood could have really taken off without God really being behind it.
  • Creation itself - I will never be able to believe that existence appeared out of nothingness spontaneously
I'm sure these aren't persuasive to you, but these are the things fall back on when faced with a lack of faith in my own heart and mind.

So your argument is, “Humans can’t be that dumb?”

while I share your skepticism, a few points in history lead me to believe that the Bible is generally true:
  • Paul's conversion. Why would a man who was well regarded in his society give it all up?
  • Gospel accounts of what morons the disciples seemed to be, constantly bickering. Why wouldn't they improve on their stories and make themselves look less idiotic unless they were attempting to tell the truth?
  • Sure, some of these things might not be proven true beyond a reasonable doubt in court, given the skepticism of "hearsay," but it's hard for me to conceive of how this tiny religion that teaches humility and servanthood could have really taken off without God really being behind it.
  • Creation itself - I will never be able to believe that existence appeared out of nothingness spontaneously
I'm sure these aren't persuasive to you, but these are the things fall back on when faced with a lack of faith in my own heart and mind.
Ashli Babbitt

All we really know about Paul is what he wrote about himself. Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t move the needle much on the historical record otherwise.

The disciples were almost certainly dead when the gospels were written.

Pretty sure most major religions have martyr narratives. It’s not an exclusive truth to Christianity.

Christianity largely took off because of Constantine. And if this is your evidence, why not Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam? All three (among others) spread rapidly and influenced much of the known world. If your evidence only depends on western colonial influence, then that’s problematic in many ways. In fact, I would argue alignment with coercive power structures (like trumpism) is one of the biggest pieces of evidence against truth in the movement as any historical Jesus was so blatantly and obviously against that.

Thousands of creation myths, what do you find compelling about Eden? I would say the reverse engineering of the universe from the author of genesis based on his understanding of the world is largely responsible for many of the oppressive structures in western society, including the anti-LGBT sentiment your pastor is expressing.

I don’t say that to influence your faith, but faith is just that. Faith doesn’t really demand (or in this case get) empiricism.

i didn't mean to insinuate that there isn't a God or anything, but there potentially logical explanations to just about anything.

• Paul's conversation - I am sure mental illness was a thing back in those days. i know of a person that walked across the US from Alabama to the Grand Canyon because volices were telling him to do so. That is real.
  • You made my point about the books being rewritten...now add in pulpit teachings and human greed and how people in power could persuade those rewriting those books to ensure the poor doesn't rebel against the rich. "poor shall inherit the earth", "Those who are destitute on earth will be rich in heaven", etc.. Do not underestimate those that use religion and it's persuasion over people for their own gain. I don't think i need to provide a direct example.
  • i actually think it is likely there is a greater being out there but i have zero belief that any religion is correct. anytime you add humans to the equation, it gets polluted. in fact i would argue that most preachers are just charlatans preying on good, albeit, naive people. this is coming from a good catholic school boy until high school.

Back