• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby -California Chrome's future

W00t I have $100 on chrome to win and on raat to place. Lessssss gooooooooooooo

that's a superhorse!

what a beautiful race run by espinoza!

I can't believe Surves came in Second...that exacta was $340....never would have had it.....The trifecta I gave can in 1st 3rd, 4th ,5th and 6th.

I hope everyone listened. a 5-2 winner and a $394 Pick 4.

He paid $7 to win and $5.60 to place. I thought the place would be good.

We're looking at 1/2 or below in the Preakness.

Last edited:
Hit the daily double with race 10 and 11! Thanks guys!

I bet $5 on California Chrome. How much did I win? I am trying to decide if its worth going back for my money.

After the Derby here are some thoughts on the race, the horse, jockey and trainer"

* Don't be fooled by the slow time or margin of victory. That was one of the most dominant efforts you'll ever see in the KY Derby. Victor rode a perfect race, but it was along race for California Chrome. He was 3-4 wide (number of lanes from the rail) the entire race. He ran farther than almost anyone in the race, but it was the correct decision.

When you have much the best, you should ride him that way. normally when riding wide, you like to have cover so you can draft like NASCAR does. Victor care more about having a clean path that the extra exertion.

Chrome only ran hard for about 1/8 of a mile yesterday. That was around the long bend and into the stretch when he got the five length lead. After that Victor totally geared him down. You will almost never see a jockey do what Victor did yesterday. You don't stand up in the stirrups fifty yards before the end of race, but he knew he couldn't lose.

* What's next? I'd be stunned if there are more than eight horses in the Preakness. This is amazing in that five cash checks. You just don't want the horse you're going to sell for stud to show losing by bunches of lengths in the top race he enters.

After the Preakness and Belmont, I'm going to guess Art Sherman will skip the Travers at Saratoga and run Chrome in the Haskell at Monmouth. Chrome has run a lot of races. He deserves the extra few weeks off. Plus, Monmouth is a notorious speed favoring track. The Haskell will take a lot less our of Chrome.

After the Haskell, they may look for a tune-up race in mid-late September, then go to the Breeders Cup Classic. If he runs the table, they should retire him. It will be tough with the $10M Dubai Classic and another $5M Breeders Cup Classic, but going to Dubai is not that great an idea. Chrome will have done enough.

* Victor Espinoza is one the great jockeys in the world, but he's not one of the flashiest. He wins big races. Not many jockeys have two Derbys on their resume. For the past few years, the California has been the strongest group of riders ever assembled with the possible exception of CA in the 80s/90s. He could dominate almost anywhere else, but he likes it here and makes a ton of money.

* Art Sherman is racing lifer. After a few parties, he and his son will be back to getting to the track at 5 AM to train a blue collar stable that probably more claimers than graded stakes horses. If you and your buddies put together $25,000 to buy a horse, Art would love to have him in his stable. He's the antithesis of Baffert, Mott, Pletcher. Chrome couldn't have happened to a nicer guy."

* How good is Chrome? We may never know. He may be do dominant and his connections care so much about him that he'll never run stupid times like others have.

*His owners may make stick it to the powers that be in breeding. These guys turned down $6M for 51% this week. That number will like double or more. The powers that be won't understand. These guys look like yahoo cowboys, but there may be a method to their madness. They have a small breeding farm in CA. I would not be shocked if they keep ownership of Chrome and breed him in CA.

They may be sly like foxes. At many races in CA, you get a "horseman's bonus" of $10-50,000 if your horse was a CA bred. Think about this for a minute. A lot of horses race for 4-7 years. Let's say you average being in five of these races a year. If the average bonus is $15,000 and win one of those races a year, you will get $60-105,000 extra just breeding to CA based stud.

These bonuses could keep the horse in CA rather than KY. I'd love to see them stick to the big boys.

RJ, you think we'll see Untapable in one of the Triple Crown legs?

I'd also like to see Chrome continue sticking it to the big boys, but selfishly I'd like him back out on the west coast so I can go see him.

I should have talked to Bluegrass....we would have had the super and the High 5.....I had 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th.....

I don't think so. i put it at 25%. Why take the chance that you'll lose when no one can beat you? It's not like they raise the stud fees. If the owners of Untappable are going to breed her, they will likely keep the foals.

It sounds like there was a Mayweather bet. Someone bet $1,000,000 on Candy Boy to win one minute before post. He knocked the odds from 19-1 to 9.5-1.......and lost...

if it wasnt mayweather it may have been charles barkley

Damn. And I thought I did dumb things when I gambled

What are the odds now on CC winning the triple crown?

What are the odds now on CC winning the triple crown?

I'd say you could get 3-1 on him now.

RE: the $1M bet. That amount was really stupid. He could probably have gotten about the same return by only betting $600-700K as the odds wouldn't have been dropped as deeply.

CC has zero shot at the Belmont. Calling it now.

Why would you say that? The last eighth of a mile in the Derby Chrome was completely geared down. The only reason it looked like anyone was catching him was that Espinoza let them. He was saving him for the next tow races.

If he wins the Preakness as easily, there may only be 4-5 other horses in the Belmont.

Back