• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby -California Chrome's future

Who are the new faces for the Preakness? Bayern? Hoppertunity? Social Inclusion?

I can't see why Baffert would run Hopportunity against California Chrome. Chrome could fall down once and still beat him. If the horse doesn't come in second, the owner might money sending him to Baltimore.

I hope Chrome wins the Triple Crown. It has been a long time since 1978 has passed with Affirmed winning with little Stevie Cauthen aboard. Who would have thought being there at the Preakness I would have been seeing the last one after all these years?

Commanding Curve is skipping the Preakness and focusing on Belmont. I was kind of hoping he would run at Pimlico, because I think he has the best chance to beat Chrome at Belmont....

Is there anywhere that breaks down the time splits by furlong? I'd like to see Chrome's 9th and 10th furlong times to see if he really was geared down like most are speculating. 26 1/5 seconds is pretty slow for the final quarter mile especially coming off an already slow mile.

Don't be sucked into the story that he was actually catching up. Chrome didn't run a step the last eighth of a mile. He could have won 5-7 lengths if Espinoza had let him.

Chrome was totally geared down......he was all but walking it in.

Don't be sucked into the story that he was actually catching up. Chrome didn't run a step the last eighth of a mile. He could have won 5-7 lengths if Espinoza had let him.

Chrome was totally geared down......he was all but walking it in.

Agreed that he was geared down, and could have won by more, but Commanding Curve taking off the Preakness and focusing on the Belmont has to worry you some, right? Curve looks like he was bred for the 1 1/2, and with a little extra rest....

That's why I'd like to see the splits if they are available. If he ran them in 12 3/5 and 13 3/5 then fine, but what if he ran them in 13 1/5 and 13 flat?

Agreed that he was geared down, and could have won by more, but Commanding Curve taking off the Preakness and focusing on the Belmont has to worry you some, right? Curve looks like he was bred for the 1 1/2, and with a little extra rest....

But he needs some more talent.

Read this piece in an article...the blue bloods hate this horse, which makes me love him even more...

The final time for the 1 1/4 miles was 2:03.66. Although the time and final fractions were slow, there did appear to be a pretty stiff wind against the horses in the stretch, and California Chrome was being eased late, flicking his ears

Just how freaky is this remarkable colt, who never regresses off his huge victories and who defies the experts? Churchill Downs outrider Greg Blasi, who has led back the last nine Kentucky Derby winners, said California Chrome “wouldn’t of blow out a match after the race.” He said he had never seen anything like it. It is apparent this is an extraordinarily fit horse who must have an exceptional heart and lung capacity, especially considering he’s been in steady training since April of last year and never had a break between 2 and 3.

They were talking about the headwind on Saturday. That could be what was responsible for the time. Also, Chrome ran into the wind by himself. He had no cover in the stretch.

So RJ, you are saying that my 10-1 bet on him to win the Triple Crown is looking good right? I now love horses.

10-1 is a nice price.

I am totally sick that I didn't realize there was a fourth future book available at Churchill Downs. Chrome went off at 9-1 to win the Derby just before the Santa Anita Derby which was after I said he was a lock.

That's not unusual. As soon as someone bet $500-1000 on him, his odds probably dropped to 100-1. By the Santa Anita Derby he was down to 4-1.

They didn't lose all that much. They more than made up for it within a couple of hours after the BC Juvenile last year.

Back