• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to Cut Our Losses and Fire Buzz

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
Reading about the Lakers' firing of Brown and hiring of D'Antoni, and seeing some analogies there, and how quickly Buss and Kupchak responded and addressed it, has made it clear, in my mind at least, that it is time to move on. This was in ESPN's report this morning:

D'Antoni was hired for the job for a variety of reasons, primarily his offense was considered a better fit for the Lakers' roster than Jackson's Triangle offense. There also was an attraction to running an up-tempo system that would allow for the Lakers' shot attempts to go "way up," similar to their "Showtime" days. Lakers brass felt the Triangle was too structured, too similar to the failed Princeton-sytle offense experiment they went through with Brown. They also worried the Triangle would take too long to implement and the learning curve might be too steep for their current crop of players. "Without going into great detail, some of our guys, I don't think would be very successful in the Triangle," Kupchak said. "Some of our newer players might take a long time to learn the Triangle."

While we will never be mistaken for the Lakers, there seems to be a comparison to be drawn here. And as much criticism as Buss, Kupchak et al take, they've been very successful over the years. And I think they got it right here. I give them credit for recognizing a problem that goes to the foundation of their basketball operations, and for taking pretty gutsy action early. Essentially, they recognized their personnel is fit for a more up tempo and aggressive style, and the plodding triangle or Princeton offense was not in their best interest. I mean, if the Lakers can't figure out the Princeton offense when that is their full time job, how do we expect college kids who have to go to class and make grades to learn it to the point they are comfortable in it? While I am sure there is some spin there, especially regarding the treatment of Phil, I do think a different style is really what it came down to for them. It clearly isn't working at Wake. Further, with guys like Travis, CJ, CMM, Moto, Madison, Rountree et al, I would much rather see them playing an aggressive, up tempo style than this crap we are seeing.

Long story short, we are clearly going nowhere with Buzz this year, and there is just no evidence in 2+ years to show that we will. And we have looked like crap against 3 terrble teams thus far. I think we make Chill the interim coach for the year and throw this Princeton crap out the door. Now.

Big Chief Triangle to Wake Forest?

I don't agree with the argument...but at least we agree on the conclusion! :thumbsup:

So the only reason you've decided we should get rid of Bzz is because of the Princeton offense? Facepalm

Kuddos on finally coming to the right conclusion, even if you took an absurd path to get here.

So they hired D'Antoni because they think Dwight Howard is too stupid or too selfish to learn or commit to the Triangle.

So the only reason you've decided we should get rid of Bzz is because of the Princeton offense? Facepalm

Kuddos on finally coming to the right conclusion, even if you took an absurd path to get here.

No. I think we needed to give him an opporunity to show he could do the job, especially given the hand he was dealt here. I suspect RW tried to hire other coaches first, but was turned down because it was obvious we were going to struggle for a while and the people he asked were already in good situations. He he has had enough time, and after 3 games in his third year, nothing has changed. It isn't working. It is clear UConn will kill us. That is why.

I think the Princeton offense can work in college, and has worked, but Buzz certainly hasn't been able to teach and implement it even today. That much has become obvious. Add to that I think our current roster for the foreseeable future is better suited to an up-tempo pace, and Buzz is clearly too stubborn to change anything. Why the Lakers even tried this at their level was a huge mistake, and they were right to move on fast.

So they hired D'Antoni because they think Dwight Howard is too stupid or too selfish to learn or commit to the Triangle.

They want to run and bang the boards. That is what they should be doing with that roster. It is what we ought to be doing, too, with our personnel. CJ deserves it to happen now.

I suspect RW tried to hire other coaches first, but was turned down because it was obvious we were going to struggle for a while

Who exactly was it obvious to? You're still slurping up the RW story.

This guy was one of the [Redacted] apologists, right? Along with Mebane?

Screw it, let's hire Phil since the Lakers didn't want him...

:)

I'm just going to be the voice of reason for once and say that now isn't the time to fire Bzz, you know, a week into the season at 1-0. I bet if we try real hard, we can find a better time to fire him.

Reading about my wife’s firing of Snap Crackle and Pop, and hiring of Dig’Em Frog, and seeing some analogies there, and how quickly my wife responded and addressed it, has made it clear, in my mind at least, that it is time to move on. This was in Consumer Reports this morning:

Dig’Em Frog was hired for the job for a variety of reasons, primarily his Honey Smacks cereal was considered a better fit for my wife’s cupboard roster than Snap, Crackle and Pop’s boring cereal. There also was an attraction to running a sugar-filled system that would allow for my wife’s stamina to go "way up," similar to her "Showtime" days. My wife’s brass felt Snap Crackle and Pop were too structured, too similar to the failed no sugar-sytle offense experiment they went through with Corn Flakes. They also worried the “Triglyceride” style would take too long to implement and the learning curve might be too steep for their current crop of players. "Without going into great detail, some of our guys, I don't think would be very successful in the Triglyceride," my wife said. "Some of our newer players might take a long time to learn the Triglyceride."

While we will never be mistaken for my wife, there seems to be a comparison to be drawn here. And as much criticism as my wife takes, she’s been very successful over the years. And I think she got it right here. I give her credit for recognizing a problem that goes to the foundation of her cereal operations, and for taking pretty gutsy action early. Essentially, she recognized her personnel is fit for a more sugar-filled and aggressive style, and the plodding Triglyceride was not in her best interest. I mean, if my wife can't figure out the Triglyceride when that is her full time job, how do we expect college kids who have to go to class and make grades to learn it to the point they are comfortable in it? While I am sure there is some spin there, especially regarding the treatment of Cornelius Rooster, I do think a different style is really what it came down to for her. It clearly isn't working at Wake. Further, with guys like Travis, CJ, CMM, Moto, Madison, Rountree et al, I would much rather see them playing an aggressive, sugar-filled style than this crap we are seeing.

Long story short, we are clearly going nowhere with Buzz this year, and there is just no evidence in 2+ years to show that we will. And we have looked like crap against 3 terrble teams thus far. I think we make Chill the interim coach for the year and throw this Snap Crackle and Pop crap out the door. Now.

Last edited:
The problem starts at the top. We don't want Wellman making another hire. He got lucky on Skip. Since then he's been utterly incompetent.

Two things ...

Unless there is a personal misconduct issue or serious health concern, I dont see RW making any change at this point.

If a change is required mid-season, it absolutely would not be Chill, it would be Battle.

The Lakers were 1-4. We are 1-0. And this is college. Not pros. And we have 7 frosh. And it's a stupid stupid stupid suggestion.

Look at me look at me post. Touche

The Lakers were 1-4. We are 1-0. And this is college. Not pros. And we have 7 frosh. And it's a stupid stupid stupid suggestion.

Look at me look at me post. Touche

So now it's just you and Mebane...

I have been a proponent of making Battle the head coach at mid season. That is the most sensible thing to do given our situation. UConn's guards are too quick for us and they will prevail. We simply do not have enough talent on the roster. Bz can't upgrade it,I believe Battle could as HC.

So now it's just you and Mebane...

No. If the question is, do you support firing Bzd 1-game into the season in hopes that such ridiculousness will be wildly helpful in hiring a Grade A coach at the end of the year, then I think most rational Wake supporters would agree with me. Even throwing in the irrational ones, I think most agree with me. You want to line up a great coach? Firing a guy after a 1-0 or 1-1 start is not the way to approach that.

Surprised it even has to be laid out. Are you that stupid? Don't answer. It's not a question that requires one.

Back