• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Time to Cut Our Losses and Fire Buzz

I agree with a lot of that on RW. He used to be as highly regarded as anyone. I am not mistaking the Lakers for us. But, there is something to be said for a coach not recognizing the strengths of his team, yet refusing to coach to those strengths in favor of stubbornly sticking with his preferred method. Which, btw, is by far the minority offense of choice, and the majority of success by other teams is running something other than Princeton.

I consider John a friend but he seems close to Wellman. I doubt he would come unless Ron was retiring or taking a different job.

If we are really concerned about positioning the basketball program for the future then the person to fire now would be Wellman. Then we can have a new AD in place by March in order to pull the plug on [Redacted].

yes

I agree with a lot of that on RW. He used to be as highly regarded as anyone. I am not mistaking the Lakers for us. But, there is something to be said for a coach not recognizing the strengths of his team, yet refusing to coach to those strengths in favor of stubbornly sticking with his preferred method. Which, btw, is by far the minority offense of choice, and the majority of success by other teams is running something other than Princeton.

There is nothing to be said about firing a coach 1 game into the year. Other than, stupidity. If we had lost the home opener 100-12, maybe. but come on, man, smart up

I consider John a friend but he seems close to Wellman. I doubt he would come unless Ron was retiring or taking a different job.

Wasn't he influential in getting Pearl and Kiffin to Knoxville?

John's name is being tossed around for the big AD jobs. He is unlikely to return to Wake.

Last edited:
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but every time i go back & read old Bz-related articles I find something that makes his hire even more disturbing.

The last full year a Bz-Coached team didn't have at least 1 arrest was 2008. He had a walk-on that he brought on board in his first year at CU charged with a felony in 2009 (the year before Wellman hired him) for breaking into the souvenir stand at the basketball arena in an attempt to rob it.

I, just... looking back at Wellman's decision to hire him... What the hell was he thinking? It was about 'record', then it was about 'culture'... I know this incident at CU isn't an earth-shattering revelation about the hire, but it does nothing but to strengthen my belief that Wellman made a tremendous mistake and has spent two mind-numbing years totally ignoring its continued cost to the school & basketball program.

Here's the link for the felony arrest in '09.

Bonus post-game quote from [Redacted] after a loss less than 2 weeks later:

"We've got a soft team. I've recruited a lot of nice young men."

Back