• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To Tip or Not to Tip?

Is it really a good practice to find the cheapest hair stylist on the planet? I can't go into a standard barber for less than $15.

Hair is something that you shouldnt fuck with. I typically choose my stylist on skill and hotness, not necc. in that order. I think I pay about $30 plus tip.

The last 2 or 3 times that I've wanted just a trim HTTD has done it. If I want something beyond a trim I go to a salon but usually for ~$35. Maybe if I had more difficult hair I'd be okay with paying more but mine is pretty easy to cut.

I envy that, but a blunt cut just doesn't work on my hair. silly curls.

cheap.jpg

RTQ is low maintenance, fellas. It's a crime the OGBros haven't stepped up yet.

Ladies! I will cut your hair for the low price of $5!

If you are not 100% satisfied, I will refund all of your money and give you a Bud Light.

RTQ is low maintenance, fellas. It's a crime the OGBros haven't stepped up yet.

Except I imagine her husband will have to remind her he thinks she's pretty four times a week and will still not believe him.

That is true.

Except I imagine her husband will have to remind her he thinks she's pretty four times a week and will still not believe him.

untrue. obviously if a man married me, he'd think I was pretty, or like other things about me enough to not care about my appearance or my cheap haircut.

One haircut from HP and she'll feel pretty for 6 weeks. Then we'll do it again.

$5 haircut, and if I don't like it I get a beer? sounds like a good deal to me. can I have a beer either way?

I am guilty of only coming around on the housekeeping tipping at hotels recently, but even if you put up a do not disturb and choose a green option during your stay, you still had someone clean and make up your room before you arrived and someone will have to clean after you leave as well. So it's not as if you're not using housekeeping at all.

I guess the whole business model on this housekeeping thing just bugs me. Since when do we have to subsidize the income of the housekeepers? I feel like this has only become a 'thing' over the past decade or so. Aren't they paid a "full" wage by their employer? If they need to charge me $5 more per night in order to pay their housekeepers what they should, then do that. Why create the uncertainty and awkwardness? Should I tip them? When should I tip them? How much should I tip them? Whatever. I never even see them, typically. I consider it part of the service offered by the hotel so I am not really prepared to tip them.

It is a very different situation from, say, a bellperson who carries my bags to the room and informs me about all of the great features of the room. That is a personal, face-to-face service and I am used to tipping for that service. And, I can turn it down and carry my own bags if I don't feel like tipping. I can't really turn down the housekeeping services.

I guess the whole business model on this housekeeping thing just bugs me. Since when do we have to subsidize the income of the housekeepers? I feel like this has only become a 'thing' over the past decade or so. Aren't they paid a "full" wage by their employer? If they need to charge me $5 more per night in order to pay their housekeepers what they should, then do that. Why create the uncertainty and awkwardness? Should I tip them? When should I tip them? How much should I tip them? Whatever. I never even see them, typically. I consider it part of the service offered by the hotel so I am not really prepared to tip them.

It is a very different situation from, say, a bellperson who carries my bags to the room and informs me about all of the great features of the room. That is a personal, face-to-face service and I am used to tipping for that service. And, I can turn it down and carry my own bags if I don't feel like tipping. I can't really turn down the housekeeping services.

that's how i feel about a lot of tipping. just charge me what the service should 'actually' cost; i dislike feeling like i have to pay someone more for doing their job... that someone's already paying them to do.

What about people who teach you how to ride a bike, do you tip them? Do I owe my older brother a five spot?

The short answer is "no". And the longer answer is pretty much "no" as well.

Housekeepers are always paid at or more than minimum wage from my experience. Whether or not that counts as "full" I suppose could be debated.

You've never gotten food to-go?
I tip the waiter for the service they provide like making sure I have a full drink, silverware, checking up on me, getting things I need, answering questions and also because they typically make a low wage given they "work for tips". If I go and pick up food I do not feel obligated to tip a cook for cooking the food like he is supposed to. That's just stupid. Same goes for Jersey Mike. Put that tip jar away already. You have a tip jar AND a tip line on the receipt?

"And here is our thermostat. This is the remote. Here is our minibar if you want a $7 Amstel Light." Meh. I avoid the bellperson unless I am with my wife and her 2 suitcases.

You have a tip jar AND a tip line on the receipt?
Why is that strange to have both? It would be weirder to just have one of the two tip options.

When congress comes back in session can they just make it illegal to have a "donate to charity" line where the tip line is? If you miss it you end up putting the total in the tip line.

I really don't appreciate being asked if I want to give a dollar or two when I'm buying groceries.

Back