• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Gwynn Died

Aww man, he was one of my favorites growing up. He was unbeatable on the old NES baseball games.

he faced Greg Maddux 107 times, more than any other pitcher...gwynn batted .415, maddux never struck him out. he also hit safely in 75% of the games he played in for his career, hitting at least .300 each of his last 19 seasons...RIP

I went to a bunch of Padre games when I was in the Army in California. Saw Tony hit two homers in one game (I think against the Marlins). Awesome guy, great hitter.

Very sad news (obviously), way too young. One of my favorites.

Completely crushed. Great Great Player. Better Man. DAMN.

Fuck chewing tobacco. RIP, Tony.

I really hate that, I always like Tony a lot. Great hitter and a good guy from all accounts I ever heard. I used to love my Copenhagen, but gave it up years ago because of the risk.

Gwynn went to SDSU on a basketball scholarship. Hard to believe with his frame but he was actually a PG & I believe still holds their records for most assists in a game, season & career. He was drafted by the Padres & Clippers on the same day.

Wow, this is sad news. I knew he had been battling oral cavity cancer, which is not always good news but I sure didn't know it was going to kill him. Shame

Last edited:
Greg Maddux on Tony Gwynn:

First, Maddux was convinced no hitter could tell the speed of a pitch with any meaningful accuracy. To demonstrate, he pointed at a road a quarter-mile away and said it was impossible to tell if a car was going 55, 65 or 75 mph unless there was another car nearby to offer a point of reference.

“You just can’t do it,” he said. Sometimes hitters can pick up differences in spin. They can identify pitches if there are different releases points or if a curveball starts with an upward hump as it leaves the pitcher’s hand. But if a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision.

“Except,” Maddux said, “for that [expletive] Tony Gwynn.”

He was a great ambassador for the game. He will be missed.

Grew up a Padres fan while Tony was in his prime. He passed up tons of money to stay in San Diego through his career. His cancer battle was pretty rough over the last several years but he kept coaching at SDSU as much as his health would allow. Really sad he is gone.

had the chance to meet and hit baseballs while coached by Tony Gwynn at a baseball hitting camp that was he hosted at Elon College over in the winter time back in the late 90s. He was good buddies with Jack McKeon who actually still lives in the town of Elon - which is why it was held at Elon. I will echo what has already been said - he was a class guy - i was impressed with how humble he seemed to be - didn't seem to take himself too seriously, even though he was and still is one of the very best hitters in the history of the game.

his message was simple - have quick hands, short stride, see the ball and hit it.

Baseball lost one of the all time greats way too soon.

Very sad. I knew he had cancer but I did not know it was in that late of a stage.

Back