• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Gwynn Died

Hit me hard today, loved Tony.

He owned Mad Dog, shame the Strike happened, he had a shot at .400

Best hitter the game has seen since Ted Williams and my favorite player growing up.

SOCALDEAC is sad today. He had one of the great voices. If you closed your eyes, his voice sounded like someone who won the spelling bee, he was built like he won the spelling bee, and laughed like he won the spelling bee. He was great to watch play and coach the last 20 years. If you have not been to PETCO there is a great statue of him in the outfield.

Sad day. Extraordinary player and an exceptional human being. Way too soon to lose someone who could teach us all so much!

In high school my school often played his son's high school In all sports. His son was the starting point guard for his team and was playing at our high school. Tony Gwynn Filmed every single one of his sons games. It was known he wanted to concentrate on filming his sons game during the game, but afterward he'd stay and sign autographs until there weren't any left to sign. I was last in line and walked out of the gym with him on the way to the parking lot. I was so shock my childhood idol was talking to me, I don't really remember what was said. Amazing guy.

In high school my school often played his son's high school In all sports. His son was the starting point guard for his team and was playing at our high school. Tony Gwynn Filmed every single one of his sons games. It was known he wanted to concentrate on filming his sons game during the game, but afterward he'd stay and sign autographs until there weren't any left to sign. I was last in line and walked out of the gym with him on the way to the parking lot. I was so shock my childhood idol was talking to me, I don't really remember what was said. Amazing guy.

Ha, I could have told the exact same story. He was an awesome guy. I really wanted to beat his son, but we lost.

Never met the man but this story does not surprise me. He is one of those guys that you could tell was one of the good guys.

Really sad. In a lot of ways players like Gwynn and Boggs who hit for a high average are much more fun to watch than all-or-nothing power hitters. Since I was an east coast AL fan I didn't see him play that much. But I'll always remember him drilling a homer off the right field upper deck facade in Yankee Stadium in Game 1 of the 1998 World Series.

No power.

Gwynn had a lot of power. He wouldn't have kept his ks down, and been the hitter he was if he tried to hit for more power. He used a tiny bat and saw that he was a bigger impact hitting .330 and not striking out that .260 with 30 HRs.

Gwynn had a lot of power. He wouldn't have kept his ks down, and been the hitter he was if he tried to hit for more power. He used a tiny bat and saw that he was a bigger impact hitting .330 and not striking out that .260 with 30 HRs.

Great decision. Probably left $30 million on the table.

giphy.gif

Great decision. Probably left $30 million on the table.

giphy.gif

Just in salary he made 47 Million over his career that started in 1982. And he's definitely never paid for a drink or meal in San Diego. I think he's fine going down as the best hitter since Ted Williams, and one of the best people in baseball. there's a lot of .250 30 HR guys. There aren't a lot of guys that:

-In 10232 Plate Appearances, struck out only 434 times.
-Over 5 year stretch, had the second highest avg in baseball with 2 strikes compared to rest of the league using all their strikes,
-8 batting titles,
-15 time all star,
-HOF, etc etc.

I think he made a "good decision"

You know why Ted's considered a better hitter?

Power.

You know why Ted's considered a better hitter?

Power.

Interesting. I think it's maybe because he has more hits, and a higher avg.

Adam Dunn has more power than Joey votto. Is he considered a better hitter?

Arguing players from different generations is stupid. Ted faced a lot of sps on 3 days rest, bullpens sucked, no closers, no 99 mph pitchers, etc.

Back