• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Soccer Transfer Thread (NWT)

Given Pochettino's absurd track record with developing defenders (Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Rose, Walker, Lovren) especially young defenders, it's probably not a good sign for CCV's long term impact that he's ready to move him along. He just hasn't been very good whenever he's played with the first team and Spurs have a spot at CB to be filled. I'm worried (as a USA fan) that he's just not going to be good enough and may be one of those guys who peaked at 18 and never improved.

Shaw, Chambers and Lovren? All three have dropped off greatly after leaving Soton.

We've had this discussion before, but I'm just not a fan of Spurs' policy of constantly buying over their younger players, instead of giving them playing time and developing them. It happened to Yedlin, you're implying its going to happen to CCV. So lets agree that its probably best for CCV to move on. I'm fine with that. Go find playing time and get away from the club that only sees you as an asset on a spreadsheet.

Shaw, Chambers and Lovren? All three have dropped off greatly after leaving Soton.

We've had this discussion before, but I'm just not a fan of Spurs' policy of constantly buying over their younger players, instead of giving them playing time and developing them. It happened to Yedlin, you're implying its going to happen to CCV. So lets agree that its probably best for CCV to move on. I'm fine with that. Go find playing time and get away from the club that only sees you as an asset on a spreadsheet.

But Spurs play their young players and don't buy over them, especially when compared to any other top team in England. That's what confuses me about your comments. They do replace the young players who aren't going to make it at the required level (Yedlin being a prime example), but a huge portion of youth players don't make it and that's what you have to do.

No question though, under Pochettino it's by far the best top club in the PL to be a young player at, you will get opportunities to break into the first team. CCV has had chances too - he's played with the first team and frankly ... he's been crap. Other Spurs young players around him (Winks, Walker-Peters, etc) have earned moves up, but CCV can't be played in a PL match at this stage - he barely can play mickey mouse cup matches (Wycombe match last season where he was atrocious, for example).

What you are describing (buying over your own youth) is basically how Chelsea operates - they use their youth to generate income to buy other players.

Last edited:
But Spurs play their young players and don't buy over them, especially when compared to any other top team in England. That's what confuses me about your comments. They do replace the young players who aren't going to make it at the required level (Yedlin being a prime example), but a huge portion of youth players don't make it and that's what you have to do.

No question though, under Pochettino it's by far the best top club in the PL to be a young player at, you will get opportunities to break into the first team. CCV has had chances too - he's played with the first team and frankly ... he's been crap. Other Spurs young players around him (Winks, Walker-Peters, etc) have earned moves up, but CCV can't be played in a PL match at this stage - he barely can play mickey mouse cup matches (Wycombe match last season where he was atrocious, for example).

What you are describing (buying over your own youth) is basically how Chelsea operates - they use their youth to generate income to buy other players.

lol vad. Not saying Yedlin was going to be good enough for Spurs, but the suggestion that they gave him time to grow is laughable. He spent a fortnight there before being shipped out.

Yedlin IMO has a higher ceiling than Trippier. Trippier is the more reliable, more tested premier league player but Yedlin is the more dynamic talent and IMO has a chance to be the better player.

it's official this morning

Chelsea and Liverpool look set to battle it out to sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after he turned down a new £180K a week deal at Arsenal.

Arsene Wenger held talks with the England midfielder yesterday in a final attempt to persuade him to stay at the Emirates.

SSN understands Wenger will tell the player and his representatives in the next 24 hours whether he will allow him to leave before the window closes next week - or let him see out the final year of his contract at the Emirates.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, capped 27 times by England, sees his future elsewhere, with Chelsea and Liverpool understood to be waiting in the wings, ready to tempt Arsenal with an offer well beyond the £30m offered by Chelsea earlier this month.

The player, who joined Arsenal from Southampton in 2011, is known to be unhappy playing as a wing back, preferring a central of wide midfield role.

Robert Snodgrass will have a medical at Aston Villa this afternoon ahead of a season-long loan from West Ham, according to Sky sources.

From what I've seen, CCV also signed a new contract so he's likely to stick around. Sheffield plays a 3 at the back so perhaps Poch wants him to get experience in a formation that we're likely to use in the future?

West Ham have pulled out of a deal to sign William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon, according to Sky Sources.

The Hammers have decided to walk away after Sporting refused to lower their £40m valuation for the Portugal midfielder.

West Ham also have concerns about Carvalho's fitness.

A senior source at the club said: " He just got too expensive and you have to say no sometimes. Also, he's not trained for three weeks. He has done no preseason training - so he might have needed 4-6 weeks to be ready to play for us."

Watford are in talks with Arsenal over the potential signing of left back Kieran Gibbs.

Sky sources understand that the transfer fee and personal terms are the big issue, but Gibbs is looking for a new challenge after falling down the pecking order at the Gunners.

Sounds like Aurier is on his way.

Mixed feelings but I tend to feel like if Poch wants him (knowing he doesn't put up with shit) then they feel they can work with him to make him a better person and player. And he's got terrific potential as a right back. He fucked up as a 21 year old. He's not the only one.

However, if he doesn't show contrition in real, sincere ways and grow up, then I don't want anything to do with him. So we'll see how it turns out.

Over Mahrez and Vardy missed your paydays fellas.

Apparently chelski and everton ready to duke it out over Vardy. Leicester also apparentlybid 27m pounds for andros townsend :plos:

Sky sources understand that Paris Saint-German have reached agreement with Monaco for Kylian Mbappe, but the deal, which would be a loan with obligation to buy for £166m (€180m) next summer, is not yet signed.

There are other players involved in deal and both clubs yet to comment.

Liverpool apparently put in a huge offer for Thomas Lemar.

Back