• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

As a parent of a trans child, I don’t have an automatic problem with jokes about trans people. Go for it, but make it funny. Ricky Gervais’ bit about Bruce Jenner asking a doctor to cut his cock off was not funny but I kind of like this Chapelle bit about the lgbtqs all riding in a car. However, I find it super dumb or hypocritical when someone uses their free speech and then gets mad when other people use their own free speech to criticize the first speaker.

Why is there a men’s/women’s split in darts? What difference does it make I that “sport.”

A top female darts player who wrote her doctoral thesis on the topic responds:

Linda Duffy, an Associate Professor in Sports Psychology, was the number one ranked women's dart player in the world for five years running

Men are often better than women at throwing sports because they are more skilled at concentrating on individual tasks, according to a former world number one darts player turned psychologist.

Linda Duffy (formerly Batten) said her research shows the stereotype about how men are better at single jobs rather than multitasking is true to a degree.

After retiring from top level darts in 1987, she has enjoyed a successful career in academia at Middlesex University which included investigating gender differences in target throwing for her PhD thesis.

“I always used to wonder how men were better than women at darts because on the face of it, why would men be any better than women, it’s just throwing a little piece of metal against a target?” said Prof Duffy, an Associate Professor in Sports Psychology.

“And of course, when I did my PhD that was one of the questions I wanted to answer and when you investigate further, there are oddly enough gender differences in throwing which I was very interested to discover.

“Starting from a very young age, whether it is under or over arm throwing, or throwing for velocity, the boys are always better than girls across the age span until you get to older adulthood when your muscles and bone structure has changed.

“So, then you do start to see women get better than men in certain throwing tasks but that’s normally because of injuries or illness.

“In healthy adults, from children all the way through to mid to late adulthood, men and boys are always better than girls at throwing.

“It doesn’t matter what task you give them, there’s just something and some reason and not just with darts, but balls and beanbags, throwing at a target in whatever way, the boys are always better.

“I still haven’t got to the bottom of exactly why this is, there’s possible reasons in brain structure and other psychological concepts related to field-independence and field-dependence that may come into play.

“It may be where people say anecdotally ‘women can pay attention to ten things at once, where men can only focus on one thing’ which is a joke, because it’s not true for everyone, but I do believe there’s some truth when you are looking at sports which require real focus and concentration such as darts, chess, bowls and archery.

“I think men manage to block out a lot of the white noise, if you like, and focus on what they need to do a lot easier than women. That makes them better.

“That’s not to say a woman can’t beat a man, I’ve beaten loads, but when you look at the top of these sports the best men are always going to be better than the best women.”...

@dartsndeacs just saw Madison Cawthorn retweet this

Well the all American dart team is not exactly an exclusive group.

We had two trans females join our pinball league this year and they’re both apparently significantly better than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any guys on the Deacon men’s soccer team who would be willing to help out the women’s team?

A women’s football competition has been branded misogynist after it was won by a team featuring five transgender players, amid accusations one had broken an opponent’s leg in two places.

Flying Bats FC won every match they played during the four-week Beryl Ackroyd Cup, including a 10-0 victory in which one of their trans players scored a double hat-trick.

Since winning Sunday’s final in Sydney, Australia, 4-0, it has emerged that organisers had earlier held a crisis meeting, during which rival teams were warned that forfeiting games against the Bats would result in disciplinary action and could even be viewed as “an act of discrimination”.

The same meeting included accusations that a 6ft 2in, 14st Bats player had once broken the leg of 5ft 6in, nine-and-a-half stone opponent in two places and claims 24 of the injured player’s team-mates had quit because they did not want to face the LGBTQ+ side...

Well why not? Lia Thomas was a mediocre male swimmer who couldn't beat men, so kicked the shit out of women instead. Stupidity in the name of tolerance.

There is literally a right wing movie with this plot.

This guy is the hero we need:
“I am not proud of myself at all. I believe other transgender athletes would feel the same way. They may not want to admit it, but they’re being selfish. There is no honor as an athlete in that,” she told the outlet.

My Trumper friend constantly sends me articles about Lia Thomas. The other day, I mentioned that it's pretty low on my list given the climate crisis, Roe V Wade/the supreme court in general, and gun control. He proceeded to ask me what exactly Roe V Wade was...

It's just an entirely different universe of ignorance.

Capt actually posted about some minor soccer tournament in Australia like it was a big deal.

You mean like allowing Lia Thomas and her male genitalia into the women's locker room at an NCAA event ?
Hi Biff, I hope that when Lia Thomas went into the women's locker room she didn't do so with the specific intent and purpose of scaring, intimidating, and offending the other athletes.

Back