• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

The subject of a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country is another, completely different thing. On that issue, I'm betting that if a secret vote was held behind voting curtains...which is what is going to happen in November....many of you would be shocked at the number of voters who agree with Trump's position on this issue.

Doesn't change the constitutionality of the ban just because people want it behind voting curtains.

We should have left civil rights up to popular votes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if THE doofus, Doofus, thinks Trump is a doofus?

latest

We should have left civil rights up to popular votes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, civil rights was left up to the popular vote.....which is why the Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964, when LBJ was able to gets the votes to get it thru Congress.

However, a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants during a time when ISIS is infiltrating terrorist attacks all over the world is hardly comparable in any way to civil rights for U.S. citizens who have lived in the country for more than one hundred years. You trivialize the issue by attempting to make such a comparison.

Actually, civil rights was left up to the popular vote.....which is why the Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964, when LBJ was able to gets the votes to get it thru Congress.

However, a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants during a time when ISIS is infiltrating terrorist attacks all over the world is hardly comparable in any way to civil rights for U.S. citizens who have lived in the country for more than one hundred years. You trivialize the issue by attempting to make such a comparison.

my wife works at an all Muslim school and I've had the chance to meet many of the students and families. my wife cares deeply for them, and it breaks her heart when young kids will come up to her and ask if they are going to be forced to leave the country. many of the girls are not covering their head for fear of being ostracized. views like what you're discussing are despicable and horrifically unAmerican.

Doesn't change the constitutionality of the ban just because people want it behind voting curtains.

We are talking about the effect on an election here, not conducting a class in constitutional law. Is it your position that the results of public elections should be invalidated if voters made their decisions for reasons that you deem to be unconstitutional? If not, what is your point, other than trying to once again display your legal acuity?

What happens if it comes to pass and trump being the smart guy he is realizes that he is going to get general election slaughtered? You know trump probably thought he would get defeated in the primary, get the nomination stolen from him and he could use it as an excuse all the while keeping his image as awesome. His entire brand is built on being the best and say he gets destroyed in the election I don't think his ego could take that.

bkf, if you don't trust the process by which Muslim immigrants are being allowed to enter the country, what is the difference between those who are here and those who are seeking to come here?

We are talking about the effect on an election here, not conducting a class in constitutional law. Is it your position that the results of public elections should be invalidated if voters made their decisions for reasons that you deem to be unconstitutional? If not, what is your point, other than trying to once again display your legal acuity?

No I'm saying that regardless of what people want the law to be regarding a temporary ban on Muslims, it's not likely that this will be upheld if actually implemented.

Well to be fair, freedom of religion doesn't have a qualifier attached to it that says "except during a time when ISIS is infiltrating terrorist attacks all over the world."

What happens if Palin succeeds in getting Paul Nehlen elected and "Cantors" Ryan forcing him to lose his seat? Probably a long shot but beating Cantor began as one as well.

What happens if Palin succeeds in getting Paul Nehlen elected and "Cantors" Ryan forcing him to lose his seat? Probably a long shot but beating Cantor began as one as well.

I had never heard of Dave Brat before that - and it's not my district, so I didn't pay any attention beforehand. But after the fact, it looks like Brat won because of a very low turnout. So if you're a fringe candidate with a small but rabid following, I'd recommend challenging someone like Ryan in a midterm rather than in a presidential contest year.

Palin campaigned in WI for Trump and he still lost to Cruz. Pelosi's district is more liberal than Ryan's is conservative and Pelosi crushed Sheehan twice. Koch Brothers won't let Ryan lose a primary. Cantor's defeat was a surprise. Palin announced Pearl Harbor, D Day, and Hiroshima months in advance.

I had never heard of Dave Brat before that - and it's not my district, so I didn't pay any attention beforehand. But after the fact, it looks like Brat won because of a very low turnout. So if you're a fringe candidate with a small but rabid following, I'd recommend challenging someone like Ryan in a midterm rather than in a presidential contest year.

Right. It's tough to unseat the sitting Speaker of the House in a midterm, much less a presidential year.

bkf, if you don't trust the process by which Muslim immigrants are being allowed to enter the country, what is the difference between those who are here and those who are seeking to come here?

What I trust or do not trust has nothing to do with the point of this discussion.....which is what effect will it have on the election.

However, I would think that common sense...which is often lacking and even derided & demonized on these boards...would offer that the likelihood of terrorist attacks would be far greater from new people entering the country at this time in history than it would be from Muslims who have lived in the country for a longer period of time.

Well to be fair, freedom of religion doesn't have a qualifier attached to it that says "except during a time when ISIS is infiltrating terrorist attacks all over the world."

We're back to that "letter of the law forbids the use of any common sense" thing again......where you often end up with your budding law career, it seems.

What happens if it comes to pass and trump being the smart guy he is realizes that he is going to get general election slaughtered? You know trump probably thought he would get defeated in the primary, get the nomination stolen from him and he could use it as an excuse all the while keeping his image as awesome. His entire brand is built on being the best and say he gets destroyed in the election I don't think his ego could take that.

Is there any particular reason why you are refusing to capitalize a person's name? It makes your post more difficult to read.

Back