• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Turgeon

Insanity. The guy is not a good coach. They really underachieved this year. They are really poorly coached on offense. This is what it's come to - we're the dumping ground for schools who have coaches they no longer want?

I think Lurker is right on as to Turgeon. He can recruit and coach D, but he can't coach O. Reminds me of Dino. Yes, he did well at WSU & TA&M, but he is doing nothing at MD except recruiting okay. If you can't make the Dance at least once at MD, you're underachieving. Color me not impressed. And being from MD, most MD fans agree with me.

A few points from listening to sports talk radio this morning.

John Feinstein said Turg was pissed off after the loss yesterday because (1) he doesn't want to leave the ACC and (2) he certainly doesn't want to leave the ACC after a first round exit (or second round, whatever).

Nick Faust is possibly graduating and using his last year of eligibility to play elsewhere. Feinstein said Turg would drive him to the airport if he wanted to leave the school (ouch).

Dez Wells may look to leave early to play in the NBA. It would not be a smart move, but agents could convince him.

Turg has a Top 10 class coming in, but Feinstein still gave him a C+.

No thanks.

ETA: To be fair to Turg, MD had one conference win by 4 or less (Miami) and five conference losses by 4 or less (yesterday to FSU, @ Clemson, 'Cuse, @ Duke, Pitt)

Last edited:
Thought Turg was a great hire at MD, but it has not worked out so far. He has had some bad luck with injuries, and to be fair, Gary Williams left him with very little. As great a coach as Williams was, his last 7 years at MD were mediocre, and he left MD because he knew that MD lacked the talent to do much in the next few years.

I would be OK with WF hiring Turg, as he is a very good recruiter, but his star has dimmed a bit.

I wouldn't be okay with hiring Turgeon. But MD fans would be ecstatic to see us "take" him from them.

Turg sucks, you guys don't want him.

Turg is certainly an upgrade. One reason for his underachievement at Maryland that no one has mentioned is their contract with Under Armour. Pretty much every Under Armour school struggles in basketball. The main reason for this is that Nike runs AAU and has an in with every top player and AAU coach in America. I think this is one of the issues Gary Williams had with Maryland when he retired. I suspect Turg might actually have better recruiting success at WFU for this reason. Just food for thought.....

Jason Capel would be a downgrade as well.

Pat Knight?

Back