• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

War seems pretty stupid when soldiers are tweeting out “One Simple Trick to Disable Million Dollar Killing Machines From Your Home.”

Last edited:
Like 100 people in the comments insist that that video is from 2014

I know y’all arnt into this but we could turn our thoughts towards the innocent people losing lives during unprecedented times. God speed everyone fighting for freedom.

This is definitely through the resolve and fight of the Ukrainians. If the country falls immediately I think the world says that’s good enough, but since they are doing everything they can additional sanctions continue to come in, like the individual sanctioning of Putin or closing of airspace.

Putin claims an income of $140k and some apartments, but is obviously a likely billionaire through shell companies and hidden accounts. Thus why does the individual sanction of him matter? I’m sure it’s for mainly symbolic purposes, but why then didn’t we individually sanction him along with the oligarchs, instead of waiting until a bit later?

This is definitely through the resolve and fight of the Ukrainians. If the country falls immediately I think the world says that’s good enough, but since they are doing everything they can additional sanctions continue to come in, like the individual sanctioning of Putin or closing of airspace.

In the case of Germany they just needed assurances from us/others on LNG supply. I definitely agree that places like Hungary and Czechoslovakia waited to see how the engagement would balance out before picking sides.

Putin claims an income of $140k and some apartments, but is obviously a likely billionaire through shell companies and hidden accounts. Thus why does the individual sanction of him matter? I’m sure it’s for mainly symbolic purposes, but why then didn’t we individually sanction him along with the oligarchs, instead of waiting until a bit later?

I think Putin already did the calculus on what sanctions will cost him and Russia vs acquiring Ukraine, and he found it beneficial to proceed. It doesn't seem like we are dealing with a rational actor here, where sanctions against his people give him any pause.

Poland and Sweden have announced they will not play against Russia in World Cup qualifiers. I think Poland already has games on the books and Sweden would likely later on?

As for Putin, I think he miscalculated the will of other governments to decouple their supply chain/trade from Russia. Losing SWIFT is big. He's committed now.

Back