• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Huh. I didn't expect that to be such a straightforward song, but I dug it all the same. "Flesh without Blood" reminded me a lot of HAIM tho.

I really wish there hadn't been any backlash against her singles last year, I think they were a lot better (and definitely more original) than this.

I hear what you are saying, but the production is still way, way more interesting than all mainstream pop i.e. Swift, Lovato, whatever.

If you ever check out her tumblr, she really is into mainstream pop and popular female vocalists, everything from Aliyaah (sp?) to Blondie to Rihanna. I think she will continue to trend more mainstream. Those early swirling drugged out demos were sweet, but its clearly not the direction she wants to continue in. I think initially she wasnt confident in her singing voice, so she sort of covered it up with all those layered textures. Now its more to the forefront. I'll be listening regardless.

I hear what you are saying, but the production is still way, way more interesting than all mainstream pop i.e. Swift, Lovato, whatever.

If you ever check out her tumblr, she really is into mainstream pop and popular female vocalists, everything from Aliyaah (sp?) to Blondie to Rihanna. I think she will continue to trend more mainstream. Those early swirling drugged out demos were sweet, but its clearly not the direction she wants to continue in. I think initially she wasnt confident in her singing voice, so she sort of covered it up with all those layered textures. Now its more to the forefront. I'll be listening regardless.

Agreed with this entire post.

Leon Bridges last night was pretty underwhelming, to be honest. Felt like a good cover band at a suburban prom.

Leon Bridges last night was pretty underwhelming, to be honest. Felt like a good cover band at a suburban prom.

That was my experience seeing the last OHMYGOD NEW SOUL MUSIC THIS IS THE SHIT band, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, a couple of times. No real soul, unfortunately. I guess I give them marks for the effort, but when you have to compare them to these badasses, then everything seems poseur.

NPR destroys everything. They are the low energy Jeb Bush of media outlets.

Disagree. I know if it's not Vice you probably don't give a fuck, but NPR and PBS are basically the only mainstream American news outlets worth paying attention to. They don't sensationalize or report stories before the facts are out, they're not owned by Murdoch, they have a good mix of writing talent, and their stuff is all free and without a bunch of shitty ads.

Unsurprisingly I'm also a NPR fanboy

Saw the second half of Leon's set at ACL, it was alright. Agree that is wasn't anything that special.

Last song I post today but you should check this out when you get home Townie. Pretty sure you'd dig it. The second song is fantastic.

Disagree. I know if it's not Vice you probably don't give a fuck, but NPR and PBS are basically the only mainstream American news outlets worth paying attention to. They don't sensationalize or report stories before the facts are out, they're not owned by Murdoch, they have a good mix of writing talent, and their stuff is all free and without a bunch of shitty ads.

Yeah but they are boring AF.

So you don't think the Times know what they are doing?

I like the Times. Not enough to subscribe, but I like the Times. Post often good. Plenty of decent journalism out there behind paywalls. But in terms of consistency and public ownership, my respect and readership goes to PBS and NPR.

And mostly Twitter, nowadays, to be honest.

The bros from KEXP always crack me up when they do the interviews for their performance series.

Havent seen Leon Bridges live, but ive played his album a few times and I agree with you all, he is talented but kinda boring and unoriginal. I really enjoy St. Paul & The Broken Bones - they similarly retread the genre, but have a much fresher sound.

Back