• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Just bought a ticket to see these guys sound unheard (is that the equivalent of sight unseen?), and it sounds alright. They're from New Zealand and this is their first East Coast tour. I'm going to the Pinhook in Durham, which I have amazingly only ever walked by and never been in, but they're playing at a bunch of places. Apparently Sharon van Etten is a big fan and she seems alright.

Shifting Sands

https://theshiftingsands.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-radio-station

A psych-folk/ space-rock psychedelic pop trio from Dunedin, New Zealand, The Shifing Sands alternate between the dreamy and the urgent. While the hyper-melodic jangle-pop sometimes references the “Dunedin sound”, the injection of synthesizer & sitar into the mix turns everything on its head.

Yeah, who knows, but the description sounds cool and was enough for me. And anyway, it was 8 bucks, so low-risk. I will probably end up getting stoned on my couch and not going though.

Last edited:
i'm a big fan of this

Just bought a ticket to see these guys sound unheard (is that the equivalent of sight unseen?), and it sounds alright. They're from New Zealand and this is their first East Coast tour. I'm going to the Pinhook in Durham, which I have amazingly only ever walked by and never been in, but they're playing at a bunch of places. Apparently Sharon van Etten is a big fan and she seems alright.

Shifting Sands

Yeah, who knows, but the description sounds cool and was enough for me. And anyway, it was 8 bucks, so low-risk. I will probably end up getting stoned on my couch and not going though.

Check out Submarine Bells, an album by The Chills (another Dunedin band). Probably a top 10 album for me.

Thanks for the tip on this show. The Shifting Sands are awesome. I very rarely check for shows in Durham and didn't realize that they were coming through the area. Even better it's an early show- ends around 9:30! Here's a vid from the their first album with David Kilgour(The Clean) and Robert Scott(The Clean, The Bats) playing guitar.

Shifting Sands

I need to listen to it again (and probably another time after that), but I think we need to have a Talk about 22, A Million, which may end up a contender for the most Important release of the year.

The complaint I heard most about Bon Iver's s/t (not from me, mind; I love that friggin album) was that it was too safe and, consequently, boring. Vernon & Co seem to have taken that to heart and thrown "safe" out the window here. It's a routinely thrilling album, which is not a word I expected to use to describe a Bon Iver record in 2016.

I was thinking a little about Vernon's collab with James Blake ("I Need a Forest Fire") earlier this year. Blake seems to have rubbed off on him a bit here, too. "8 (circle)" sounds like it could have come straight off of Blake's debut s/t.

It's not a flawless album, by any means, and "Bon Iver fans" looking for a logical progression from their first two albums are probably going to feel a little disoriented, but man, it's exciting and a little jarring and one of the track titles has two dice emojis in it, so what the fuck, let's do this.

I think Deathbreast is my favorite so far. It took me a while to like, but now I definitely do. I actually really admire the trajectory of his career thus far, and I really hated the second album. First album and that EP were just so good and then he went all schmaltzy 80s. This new thing is really cool.

I havent listened to the whole thing yet but this new Growlers album might be the best new rock I have heard all year. Album produced by Julian Casablancas.

I just went and listened to this, and woof. Is it okay to call it a shameless Strokes knockoff if it was produced by a Stroke? The songs sound like half-baked ideas from a band that was last interesting or cool nearly an entire decade ago. The lead singer is a cross between Casablancas and Alex Turner, but with the charm of neither.

And what the fuck is Casablancas doing? I hate to say it, but there could have been a couple of highlights on here, but the production buries them. This is never more clear than on "World Unglued", where I actually thought my speaker had blown out and was distorting the base, before I realized that, no, that buzz was some sort of accordion or some shit buried in the mix. There are a solid 4 or 5 songs that just get fucked by Casablancas' work here.

It's funny given the Turner comp I made, but these dudes would have really benefited from Josh Homme, I think. Probably could have ended up as a slightly worse Humbug.

That single is solid, though. I like that.

Check out Submarine Bells, an album by The Chills (another Dunedin band). Probably a top 10 album for me.

Cool, will check this out at some point.

And glad to hear someone knows and likes The Shifting Sands, CHill, I hope to make it to the show.

Got Strand of Oaks tix in December--last shows before he goes back to the studio. It'll be interesting to see how he follows up Heal. The album was so focused and emotionally raw. Wonder if he can follow that up with good stuff in a new direction.

Putting on Built to Spill and getting a beer and sitting down and playing FIFA and I just felt stoned. Without partaking. Magic.

New John Prine is some good, fun, straightforward country duets. I'm a fan.

Heard a good John Prine cut on my Discovery Playlist a couple of them ago, but I'm usually melting into my couch when I listen to that shit so I never write it down or save it and now I can't remember what it was. It was older, 70s John Prine, though.

Back