• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

usic Thread, help get me into jazz. Where should I start?

Kind of Blue, Night Train, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, and Time Out are some canonical albums to start with. Duke Ellington and John Coltrane is a dope album. Eastern Sounds by Yusef Lateef is one of my all-time faves. Can't go wrong with Miles, my boi Coltrane, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Wynton Kelly, Brubeck, Thelonious Monk, Ray Brown, Duke Ellington, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum, or Ornette Coleman. My tastes are piano-heavy.

If you end up liking the more free/avant garde stuff, like The Shape of Jazz to Come, check out Out To Lunch! by Eric Dolphy. Great, wild, fantastic record. But that doc I posted gives a good, brief little history of those four monuments that came out in '59 and most of jazz before and after can be connected to those players -- it's a good starting point. Juice lists some choice shit, too, though don't sleep on Mingus.

Yeah, I don't know as much avant garde stuff, but Miles' Isle of Wight is a good one too.

If you end up liking the more free/avant garde stuff, like The Shape of Jazz to Come, check out Out To Lunch! by Eric Dolphy. Great, wild, fantastic record. But that doc I posted gives a good, brief little history of those four monuments that came out in '59 and most of jazz before and after can be connected to those players -- it's a good starting point. Juice lists some choice shit, too, though don't sleep on Mingus.

Kickball, do you have a favorite Jazz instrument? It may help to start with a musician who plays an instrument that you enjoy intrinsically.

I heard some Ayler with Byard Lancaster on this radio show a couple of months ago but I haven't been able to find a youtube of it, unless it was a completely different piece and I am looking in the wrong place. It sounded as if it had all these low winds it. It was WILD. It was probably a different artist, but the Ayler/Lancaster stuff was really good anyway, even if it wasn't what I was thinking it was.

Headed down to chill in Atlanta with my friend and his new wife and hang out at Sweetwater 420 Fest....not a particularly strong line-up, but it's not supposed to be and it'll still be a blast. I really just want to catch Theivery Corporation, Snoop, and Gov't Mule (and Rory Scovel one day) but any other suggestions?

1b89cb_34772e17487240bf8ff3220b2830e67b.jpg_srb_p_979_2061_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

Primus
Wood Brothers
Anders Osborne (will prob come out and play with Mule and/or Warren comes to play with him)
I've alsways had fun at moe. shows
311 if you wanna relive middle school

Incubus, Deftones and Death from Above 1979

Red Rocks Aug 24

FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

:werd:

Kickball, do you have a favorite Jazz instrument? It may help to start with a musician who plays an instrument that you enjoy intrinsically.

No idea if I have a favorite but I've always appreciated seeing/hearing awesome talent no matter the instrument. Which I guess narrows down the jazz genre... not at all, ha. I'll give Juice and Chupe's suggestions a listen and see where they take me.

Been on a big Beach Boys kick...Just so many beautiful 2 minute pop masterpieces throughout their catalog.

Been doing the same recently. Forgot how deep their catalogue is. Really liking the car songs, especially some of the lyrics:

Pedal's to the floor, hear the dual quads drink
And now the four-thirteen's lead is startin' to shrink
He's hot with ram induction but it's understood
I got a fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood

Recently downloaded deluxe edition of Dusty In Memphis. Original's a classic, but this has the best bonus tracks I've heard including songs from cancelled albums with Jerry Wexler and Gamble & Huff.

Nice, I'll have to check out that deluxe edition. That is a great record, I love the Randy Newman tune "I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore."

Headed down to chill in Atlanta with my friend and his new wife and hang out at Sweetwater 420 Fest....not a particularly strong line-up, but it's not supposed to be and it'll still be a blast. I really just want to catch Theivery Corporation, Snoop, and Gov't Mule (and Rory Scovel one day) but any other suggestions?

1b89cb_34772e17487240bf8ff3220b2830e67b.jpg_srb_p_979_2061_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

I suggest you turn your Ford Fiesta around and head back from whence you came.

Chuck Berry seems ahead of his time (to me) in this video. Definitely one of the all time great guitar players.

Back