• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

I'm guessing Balatro escalates at some point, because I have completed a couple runs and got to ante 10 at one point, but I can't fathom how to get upwards of 200k per hand, much less the 100M you need to unlock one of the jokers.
Yeah I had the same thoughts when RSF was posting some of his stuff. I haven't unlocked that one ($100 mil) yet but just had a fun run that got to about $84 mil on one hand about an hour ago dedicating to the +3 for skipped booster pack that I got to around +130 by the end.

I wish I had read the conditions and unlocked whatever jokers I could earlier, as some of these locked jokers are needed to get through to these larger numbers.

Usually the best runs come from really dedicating to the slow grind + multipliers with income support, and then bringing in the X multipliers later. And to dedicate to most + multipliers you usually need some sort of income support since you usually aren't getting the hands remaining bonus. It is frustrating to build a whole strat around one thing only to have the boss blind fuck you over though.

Also, realize that the run is going to involve quite alot of buying and selling, and decisions on what and when to spend on. If you're beating the levels on the first hand each time, then you don't need to spending on planet packs or card packs and can save up and earn interest. If a joker costs $4, and you can sell it for $2 a few hands later but it gets you a few extra dollars in hands left to play, it's worth it even if you don't want the joker in the later stages. Lastly, if you've got a + joker that increases over time you don't want to add other jokers to it that has you beating rounds early.

Soooo.... helldivers 2.is amazing.
It is maybe the first game that makes me sorry I don't have a PS5 (or a computer younger than my teenager). I love that it is a full realization of the Starship Troopers movie, and I love that some people have just recently figured out that it is a satire and are very upset about that.

Last edited:
the best tip I can give for balatro is to think of runs in terms of sustainability, scalability, and economy... you need all three to get to endgame most of the time. so if you're beating blinds on your first hand like plama is saying, that might be great (and it gives you a nice pulse for what your deck is capable of) but you might still need a way to escalate things later (the switch from +mult to xmult that he mentioned, for example).

a deck can go from good to endgame ready just by getting something like a mime (which doubles all held in hand effects, causing steel cards to go batshit), or pivoting into something like a campfire (which requires p good economy or voucher investment to work)

a good rule of thumb for deck economy is to make sure at minimum you're always making max interest/round, and remember that each hand you play is worth $1

if a joker that escalates over time presents itself in the first couple of antes always always always grab it -- the first time I beat gold stake I did it in large part because I had a wee joker (which gains +8 chips for every scored 2) up to something nutty like +500. that's the sort of joker you can build a deck around if it comes early enough

other stuff- never pass up tarot cards. you're almost always looking for chariot/death/justice, in that order (if you already have steel cards in the tarot draw, probs go with death first). I don't usually fuck with suit tarots unless I'm playing into a specific joker (and that strat is a p reliable way to get fucked by a boss blind at some point). hanged man and devil are more situational but can be super strong too

only other tip is to remember to move jokers around whenever relevant. +mults to the left, xmults to the right obviously, but more than that, stuff like blueprint and brainstorm might need to be moved multiple times in a round to clone the effects you care about. I've fucked myself in more than a couple of runs forgetting to double a DNA effect or something, or leaving brainstorm pointing to the wrong joker for my hand

Last edited:
the best tip I can give for balatro is to think of runs in terms of sustainability, scalability, and economy... you need all three to get to endgame most of the time. so if you're beating blinds on your first hand like plama is saying, that might be great (and it gives you a nice pulse for what your deck is capable of) but you might still need a way to escalate things later (the switch from +mult to xmult that he mentioned, for example).

a deck can go from good to endgame ready just by getting something like a mime (which doubles all held in hand effects, causing steel cards to go batshit), or pivoting into something like a campfire (which requires p good economy or voucher investment to work)

a good rule of thumb for deck economy is to make sure at minimum you're always making max interest/round, and remember that each hand you play is worth $1

if a joker that escalates over time presents itself in the first couple of antes always always always grab it -- the first time I beat gold stake I did it in large part because I had a wee joker (which gains +8 chips for every scored 2) up to something nutty like +500. that's the sort of joker you can build a deck around if it comes early enough

other stuff- never pass up tarot cards. you're almost always looking for chariot/death/justice, in that order (if you already have steel cards in the tarot draw, probs go with death first). I don't usually fuck with suit tarots unless I'm playing into a specific joker (and that strat is a p reliable way to get fucked by a boss blind at some point). hanged man and devil are more situational but can be super strong too

only other tip is to remember to move jokers around whenever relevant. +mults to the left, xmults to the right obviously, but more than that, stuff like blueprint and brainstorm might need to be moved multiple times in a round to clone the effects you care about. I've fucked myself in more than a couple of runs forgetting to double a DNA effect or something, or leaving brainstorm pointing to the wrong joker for my hand
And yeah, I only got through the gold level once (plasma deck) and yeah I had to put in a good 10-15 hours I think on that level alone but man did it feel good to make it through. I think I'm gonna try for 100% completion and getting through it on all decks. Hopefully gets a bit easier as I get a bit more experience and finish unlocking the last few jokers. Through 17/20 challenges, they weren't too bad comparatively

I also feel like I skip a lot of the spectral packs. I'm not gonna destroy 4 of my jokers to add polychrome to one joker.

I also feel like I skip a lot of the spectral packs. I'm not gonna destroy 4 of my jokers to add polychrome to one joker.

spectral packs can be win conditions tbh. I don't think I'd ever pass one up if I can afford it

there's a lot of situational stuff in there (I'd probably only grab the "destroy all other joker" cards if I were in early-mid game and still able to pivot) but the "destroy one card, get X enhanced cards" spectrals are usually no brainers. and getting Immolation with an Erosion or Canio joker will scale your deck FAST. or if you're already struggling with economy, getting a rare joker and setting your money to $0 can turn things around

and yeah, like @BeachBumDeac says in what I am pretty sure was a dig at me, the beauty of the game is that it's v v v accessible but has the strategic depth to handle however much thought you want to put into it. and there are very few things as satisfying as when you have a deck firing on all cylinders. in those respects it's just like any good deck builder game tbh.

It is maybe the first game that makes me sorry I don't have a PS5 (or a computer younger than my teenager). I love that it is a full realization of the Starship Troopers movie, and I love that some people have just recently figured out that it is a satire and are very upset about that.
Bro, it is high fucking comedy. It's like if Halo had a laugh track.

So I haven't bought a new console since I bought my PS4 right after launch. My boys are getting older and still enjoy playing the PS4, but with the size of games, load times, etc. I am thinking of upgrading them to a new console in conjunction with redoing our basement to be more of an entertainment space. I had been leaning Ps5, especially given that we have a fair number of PS4 games (new ones are mostly sports like Madden, MLB, and NHL) and I like the idea of the backwards compatibility for those games. That said, I also recognize that within a year we would be moving out of those anyways as new games come out. We also currently have the PC version of Microsoft game pass so my kids play the PC compatible games on the PC - I am very attracted to getting the XBox due to the gamepass component, particularly with three boys who all have slightly different gaming interests. It looks like GamePass includes most of the games we play the most - particularly NHL, Madden, FC24 etc. The biggest loss to switching to XBox is, in my opinion, the loss of certain save files for career modes in the sports games, but again those get lost over time in any event (although my son does go back to the older NHL a fair amount for his BAP player); this isn't as a big of a deal since The Show eliminated porting career players over between versions (still bitter about losing my mid-career player that lasted something like 10 years of versions of The Show).

Anyways, long way of getting to the point, but curious if anyone has any compelling reasons we should go one way or the other that isn't just console fanboy responses?

Back