• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

499? No thanks. I could swallow my pride and do 399 but pass on 500. Sorry Microsoft

The extra 100 is most likely for the new Kinect since the PS4 eye is an add-on. But PS4 users will now have to pay $5 a month for multiplayer which will be about what XBoxLive usually costs.

Aside from that Steampunk London game, I actually liked the XBOX exclusives (Ryse, Quantum Break, Halo, the soundless panzer dragon game) more than the PS4 ones. Most of the games I want will be non exclusive anyway. I also am intrigued by the TV capabilities and I haven't bought or sold a used game so that DRM stuff doesn't really bother me.

The $100 more does suck but for all of the stuff that it does above the ps4, I think I can justify it.

Pretty surprising. Like many, I was assuming the used game thing would end up being identical for both systems as it was publisher driven.

The level to which Microsoft is fucking up right now is simply amazing. It's hard to believe a company can just march forward enraging the majority of their user base like this.

The extra 100 is most likely for the new Kinect since the PS4 eye is an add-on. But PS4 users will now have to pay $5 a month for multiplayer which will be about what XBoxLive usually costs.

Sucks for those of us who only play a NCAA dynasty but a deal for those who spend every waking moment on multiplayer games.

Sucks for those of us who only play a NCAA dynasty but a deal for those who spend every waking moment on multiplayer games.

Sony also allows free access to older games through PS+, so it isn't just $5 for multiplayer.

I've been a Microsoft guy, but I'm switching to Sony unless MS drops the price. Also, the video of Sony trolling Microsoft was hilarious.

BMdQRA4CEAEQeL2jpg_large_zpsd9eee5aa.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how MS is going to counter the one-two punch of no online requirement and the used game policy. Welcome to the world of the Jaguar and Dreamcast.

If anything it'll just delay adoption of the new consoles. Remember when everyone lost their minds when Xbox Live required broadband?

There are some aspects of the Xbox One that push consoles forward. Add-ons are notorious failures for consoles - if everyone has a Kinect it becomes integral to the experience, however large or small its impact. Sony's going to be at a disadvantage there even if it "saves" people $100 if they don't want a motion device on their next-gen system - because it will always just be an optional peripheral.

As for used games, they could change the argument. If there's so much loss in the industry, share the benefit of DRM. If Microsoft announces that all online single-owner games will be $20 less than normal or include DLC for free, at least the discussion isn't a 100% negative for the consumer. People love Steam despite DRM because it provides them with a benefit. Live Arcade has been a pretty big success and nobody freaks out about not being able to sell their XBL games.

And if the industry does head that way, Sony could be left behind. By all rights the PS3 should have dominated the 360. PS3 had blu ray. It ran Linux. The 360 RRoD'd everyone. PS3 online play was free. PS3 dropped prices and reduced the console size earlier. But it never dominated because Xbox Live was so successful. And Kinect was cooler. And the experience was more cohesive.

Unless someone's hiding something, the hardware differences are minimal. It's going to be about the experience, the content, and how you acquire that content. As bad as it looks right now for Microsoft and as horrible a job as they've done explaining their seemingly arbitrary decisions like having to be a friend for 30 days to trade a game, I wouldn't count them out yet.

If it turns out the PS4 is just a PS3 with improved hardware, but the Xbox One actually moves the industry forward, all these early wins for Sony will be worthless in a year.

If anything it'll just delay adoption of the new consoles. Remember when everyone lost their minds when Xbox Live required broadband?

There are some aspects of the Xbox One that push consoles forward. Add-ons are notorious failures for consoles - if everyone has a Kinect it becomes integral to the experience, however large or small its impact. Sony's going to be at a disadvantage there even if it "saves" people $100 if they don't want a motion device on their next-gen system - because it will always just be an optional peripheral.

As for used games, they could change the argument. If there's so much loss in the industry, share the benefit of DRM. If Microsoft announces that all online single-owner games will be $20 less than normal or include DLC for free, at least the discussion isn't a 100% negative for the consumer. People love Steam despite DRM because it provides them with a benefit. Live Arcade has been a pretty big success and nobody freaks out about not being able to sell their XBL games.

And if the industry does head that way, Sony could be left behind. By all rights the PS3 should have dominated the 360. PS3 had blu ray. It ran Linux. The 360 RRoD'd everyone. PS3 online play was free. PS3 dropped prices and reduced the console size earlier. But it never dominated because Xbox Live was so successful. And Kinect was cooler. And the experience was more cohesive.

Unless someone's hiding something, the hardware differences are minimal. It's going to be about the experience, the content, and how you acquire that content. As bad as it looks right now for Microsoft and as horrible a job as they've done explaining their seemingly arbitrary decisions like having to be a friend for 30 days to trade a game, I wouldn't count them out yet.

If it turns out the PS4 is just a PS3 with improved hardware, but the Xbox One actually moves the industry forward, all these early wins for Sony will be worthless in a year.

I'm on this side of the fence too after digesting all of the available Information. I think it It is going to be an interesting few months.

Eta: I think I'm in the minority, but Microsoft's changes don't really effect me on a personal level. I don't buy used games and I don't sell games. My internet connection is reliable and I'm not going to be transporting it anywhere. I see this as DCDeac does. People lost their minds about the broadband only change for Xbox and look how that turned out. Obviously this could turn out much worse but I don't it will be as bad as people think.

The reason the PS3 didn't blow the 360 out of the water (in the US, anyway... worldwide, the PS3 was more successful) was three-fold. First, the PS3 was much more complex to design games for that the 360. Second, when announcing the PS3, Sony did very much what Microsoft is doing now. They were so confident coming off the PS2, they thought they could just force anything on the consumers and they would gladly accept it. Even though Sony eventually changed course and started some pretty good improvements to their system, they really started off in a hole and it took a long time to recover. Third, XBOX Live was simply better than the PSN. From what I understand, while Live may still be better, the gap is not nearly what it was last time around.

Microsoft can easily turn things around for the XBOne in the eyes of the public, but they will need to get over themselves first. Of course, all this is moot if one or both are seriously broken at launch.

I have a Kinect and I NEVER use it. Ever. It's completely useless to me, and there's no reason for it to be mandatory for the X-Box One. Some people don't enjoy talking to their TVs, or swinging their arm across their body to switch screens. It should be an add-on like it was this generation. If people want it, let them buy it separately.

The used games thing is a big deal for me too. I can't remember the last time I bought a new game for the full $60 retail. Most of my games are used off of Amazon or eBay. It's easy to wait a week or two, have some nerd beat the game very fast and put it up for sale, and get it for $40 instead.

I have a Kinect and I NEVER use it. Ever. It's completely useless to me, and there's no reason for it to be mandatory for the X-Box One. Some people don't enjoy talking to their TVs, or swinging their arm across their body to switch screens. It should be an add-on like it was this generation. If people want it, let them buy it separately.

The used games thing is a big deal for me too. I can't remember the last time I bought a new game for the full $60 retail. Most of my games are used off of Amazon or eBay. It's easy to wait a week or two, have some nerd beat the game very fast and put it up for sale, and get it for $40 instead.

The Kinect is being completely revamped from its current iteration.

Microsoft was the first company to sign on with PRISM- back in 2007. In light of the NSA revelations, I can't help but see the kinect in a new light. Plus there's this:

A patent filed by Microsoft last year, but only made public last week, wants to turn your Xbox 360's Kinect into an instrument via which large companies can monitor your media usage and, if you're found to be in violation of something, charge you for it.

And no, I am not making that up.

The patent application, titled "CONTENT DISTRIBUTION REGULATION BY VIEWING USER", is a means of using Kinect to monitor not just what you're watching (or listening to) on your Kinect, but more importantly, how many people.
Basically, when you buy or rent something like a movie, you'll only be granted a "license" for a certain number of people to watch it. If Kinect detects more people in the room than you had a license for, it can stop the movie, and even charge you extra.
http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation
There might not be any real cause for concern with the kinect, but I wouldn't want it in my house.

The Kinect is being completely revamped from its current iteration.
It's basically the same idea though, right?

ETA: This is from a Forbes article that came out this morning. Basically says how I feel.

And then there’s the price, driven up to an uncomfortable level by the burden of the Kinect. Across both the Xbox One reveal and Microsoft’s E3 press conference, we’ve seen the new version of Kinect do only a few things, namely control menus and TV inputs with gestures and voice commands. The Kinect wasn’t even mentioned when it came to all of the games shown during yesterday’s conference. Microsoft is torn between wanting everyone to have a Kinect, but also realizing many of their fans hate hearing about it, which is why it was completely absent from the presentation yesterday. They can’t have it both ways, and its stuck them with a system that’s expensive because of a peripheral most of their fanbase didn’t want before, and certainly don’t want now as it’s been reclassified as some sort of Orwellian, always listening surveillance device. Even if it isn’t, again, it’s yet another Microsoft PR problem that spun out of control.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...e-microsofts-xbox-one-at-e3/?partner=yahootix

Last edited:
Like other people have stated, the online requirements for the XBOne don't concern me in the least, but like RollWave the used games thing for me is a huge deal, pretty much a deal breaker. I buy all my games used off Amazon and sell them back when I'm finished. Unless they change their stance on that, they've lost me, a guy who's been with them since the first days of the Xbox.

Back