• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VT job now open - 2 and done !

Sounds more like bad management from the AD at VT. You fire Greenberg, who had done an alright job with a not-great program. You're looking for a new direction for the team. So who do you hire? His assistant. And then when that assistant, in his first HC gig, doesn't do as well as you had hoped, you fire him after 2 years.

Yep, VT is going to come out smelling clean as springtime mint to coaches looking for a great ACC job.

So, Wake Forest loses Skip Prosser, following a couple of unspectacular years, we hire his assistant, we extend his assistant, we fire his assistant after advancing to second round in NCAA tournament citing lack of post season success. We hire a coach with zero post season success and a losing record at his current job.

How's that management? I would say firing Bz after two years would be the least-bad decision made by our AD in five years.

ETA: Was going to add but others already have about VT having a new AD. That also changes everything. The "four years minimum" argument out of context is pretty meaningless.

Last edited:
VA Tech's AD was just hired last year and came from Cincinnati so he didn't have anything to do with hiring James Johnson. He did some good things while at Cincinnatti including hiring Tuberville away from Texas Tech.

I would not be surprised to see Va Tech make a better hire than Wake does. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Entirely debatable whether or not that was a good thing. Tuberville was pretty much on the hot seat his entire tenure at Texas Tech. And they're paying him crazy money ($3.1M) when you consider that.

I spoke to my old friend Ricky Stokes earlier today. He's likely to give VT another chance, provided that Steve Wojciechowski passes on this job and remains focused on the WFU opening. Should Ricky and Whit not be able to agree to $$$, Whit will move on to Pat Kelsey.

VA Tech's AD was just hired last year and came from Cincinnati so he didn't have anything to do with hiring James Johnson. He did some good things while at Cincinnatti including hiring Tuberville away from Texas Tech.

I would not be surprised to see Va Tech make a better hire than Wake does. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Hired last year but didn't come on board at VT until Feb 17th of this year. Less than a month on the job and he pulls the trigger. Good for him. I bet that he ends making a nice hire.

So, Wake Forest loses Skip Prosser, following a couple of unspectacular years, we hire his assistant, we extend his assistant, we fire his assistant after advancing to second round in NCAA tournament citing lack of post season success. We hire a coach with zero post season success and a losing record at his current job.

How's that management? I would say firing Bz after two years would be the least-bad decision made by our AD in five years.

ETA: Was going to add but others already have about VT having a new AD. That also changes everything. The "four years minimum" argument out of context is pretty meaningless.

So you give one coach three years and then the next coach you give two years? Bahaha. Gotcha. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

Yeah, I didn't hear McDonough and Bilas talking about how Johnson hadn't been given a fair shake during the Va. Tech v. Miami matchup last Wendnesday?

Probably because the Virginia SID hasn't been feeding them a load of BS.

I spoke to my old friend Ricky Stokes earlier today. He's likely to give VT another chance, provided that Steve Wojciechowski passes on this job and remains focused on the WFU opening. Should Ricky and Whit not be able to agree to $$$, Whit will move on to Pat Kelsey.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Greenberg had worn out his welcome. I'm assuming they had a decent buy out in place and decided to go cheap on James Johnson, hoping it would work. Probably whiffed on a couple of mid-major targets as well. Johnson didn't work out and the new AD cuts his losses and moves on. If the next guy only gets 2 years, that's a problem.

The wake comparison would have been not giving Dino the job and making him an interim HC, risk losing the AFA class and then hire a real coach 9 9 months later.

Weaver got lambasted for hiring Johnson - no experience, learned all of his coaching from Greenberg - but he did get him for cheap: $600K or so. Johnson got a $400K pay raise in one week on his return to Bburg from Clemson and VT got to save some money to put towards football. Large numbers dropped their bball tix after this hiring occurred. The fans don't want anyone else to waste money on a shitty coach so I'd expect a decent hire for the hokies that will occur soon.

While definitely not as good of a job as the Wake job, they will still be reaching into the same pool of coaches IMO.

So you give one coach three years and then the next coach you give two years? Bahaha. Gotcha. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

If you are saying that keeping Bz the last two years did more good than damage to our basketball program then yes, we definitely disagree. Wellman's mistakes with Dino and hiring Bz were made worse, not better, by holding on to Bz this long. No coach we should be interested in would be intimidated by letting Bz go after two, and especially three years. He was a joke. Absolutely everyone realizes that.

Letting a coach go after two bad years after letting a coach go after three (pretty) good years is not a great way to project stability or competence. The other side of that card is obvious in that you hired two guys that couldn't hold onto the job in the first place. But I'm pretty sure this argument has been had already.

Letting a coach go after two bad years after letting a coach go after three (pretty) good years is not a great way to project stability or competence. The other side of that card is obvious in that you hired two guys that couldn't hold onto the job in the first place. But I'm pretty sure this argument has been had already.

Hell no it doesn't look good. I'm just saying what we've been subjected to is worse. Holding on to a bad coach too long doesn't fix the mistake of hiring the bad coach to begin with. Besides all these coaches get huge buyouts if they are fired early. I think this argument is overused is all. And a bad one when it comes to Bz.

And you bought up the other point that financially, you don't want to have to pay two coaches not to coach while paying another one more to coach.

Hell no it doesn't look good. I'm just saying what we've been subjected to is worse. Holding on to a bad coach too long doesn't fix the mistake of hiring the bad coach to begin with. Besides all these coaches get huge buyouts if they are fired early. I think this argument is overused is all. And a bad one when it comes to Bz.

I don't know how to make these any clearer to you. Any coach who sees the coach right before him not even get to coach players he recruited has to question whether making the jump to that school is worth it. Do you have a job? If you were considering going to another job where there was constant turnover, would that make you potentially cautious about making that jump?

If the job was bus driver and the guy before me had driven the bus into a ditch, I think I would understand why he was let go so quickly.

And you bought up the other point that financially, you don't want to have to pay two coaches not to coach while paying another one more to coach.

Once again poor AD management and not related to the issue being discussed.

I don't know how to make these any clearer to you. Any coach who sees the coach right before him not even get to coach players he recruited has to question whether making the jump to that school is worth it. Do you have a job? If you were considering going to another job where there was constant turnover, would that make you potentially cautious about making that jump?

When do you think Bz should be fired?

Back