• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

tau, don't know if Avent being tossed for the game hurt your chances or not, but in general I'm really tired of grown men in costumes who do that stupid in the ump's face thing; it looks so contrived the manager's part to get tossed.
I'd love to have an ump calmly say "I'm not going to toss you, so when you're done wasting everyone's time here, we'll get this thing started again".

I mean you have no argument from me. That said, I think that managers in baseball do little during the actual game. So who knows.

IIRC, it was 7-1 when Drew left. If you don't think pulling him guaranteed a "Hit Parade" by our bullpen, you haven't watch enough of our games against our better competition. Went to about every home ACC game. When the relievers came in early, runs were guaranteed at high rate to quality opponents.

State didn't win. Clemson lost to a N.C. State team that put up 20 runs on them by responding with a 2-1 win over State the next day. They didn't just do it with pitching, but by being inspired by a coach to play great D and demonstrate a resiliency and relentlessness that said, "You aren't going to score on us or embarrass us like that again." This compared to our listless play vs Minnesota....that's the comparison. It wasn't just our pitching but the inability in the playing field and seeing the ball and general focus. I wasn't the only poster who noted the difference. And if you don't think that has to do with the coach's role to inspire and "coach", then we just disagree.

Deacs had an absolutely embarrassing Friday night outing (especially defensively) against NC State and was swept by the Wolfpack. Couple days later, they got drilled 18-3 at UNGC. Could have been the end of the season, but they rallied to win 9 of their next 10, including a sweep of UNC and a series win over Florida State.

I'm guessing coach Walter was inspirational then? Damn. . if he'd just done the same thing now, the Deacs would be headed to the College World Series.

Deacs had an absolutely embarrassing Friday night outing (especially defensively) against NC State and was swept by the Wolfpack. Couple days later, they got drilled 18-3 at UNGC. Could have been the end of the season, but they rallied to win 9 of their next 10, including a sweep of UNC and a series win over Florida State.

I'm guessing coach Walter was inspirational then? Damn. . if he'd just done the same thing now, the Deacs would be headed to the College World Series.

As I said earlier, I think when we won it was in spite of Walter. I think my overall opinion of his in-game coaching is colored by observing other factors. Maybe you are close to the program. If so, let me ask you a trivia question. Who told Drew he'd never be a weekend starter in the ACC?

I, like many, are not happy with our program, especially the bullpen, after 7 years of building a program.

I'm a broken record but I can't fathom how we have no lefties on the roster for pitching purposes that are remotely productive. We have three that I count and they threw under 10 innings combined.

If I didn't miss anything the breakdown on innings pitched this year was righties threw 533 innings and lefties threw 9.2.

I mean wow.

FWIW, Baseball America generated a 2016 MLB draft database of the top 500 (which roughly equates to the first 15 rounds) eligible prospects in tomorrow's MLB draft. WF had two players listed: Will Craig and Donnie Sellers. Neither Dunshee or Mondou are listed. While Baseball America does a great job, all it takes is one of the 30 MLB teams to have a different draft board, and Dunshee and/or Mondou could go much higher than BA projects. Also, the MLB draft has 50 rounds so Dunshee and Mondou are likely to be taken even if it isn't among the first 500 picks. However, if they aren't drafted in the first 10 rounds, its likely that whomever takes them will not offer than much money to sign.

That said, if either of Dunshee and Mondou return next year, the prospects for the WF baseball team improve greatly.

Also, Texas A&M has 10 players in the top 500, which was the most of any school that I could find. They are loaded.

Last edited:
FWIW, Baseball America generated a 2016 MLB draft database of the top 500 (which roughly equates to the first 15 rounds) eligible prospects in tomorrow's MLB draft. WF had two players listed: Will Craig and Donnie Sellers. Neither Dunshee or Mondou are listed. While Baseball America does a great job, all it takes is one of the 30 MLB teams to have a different draft board, and Dunshee and/or Mondou could go much higher than BA projects. Also, the MLB draft has 50 rounds so Dunshee and Mondou are likely to be taken even if it isn't among the first 500 picks. However, if they aren't drafted in the first 10 rounds, its likely that whomever takes them will not offer than much money to sign.

That said, if either of Dunshee and Mondou return next year, the prospects for the WF baseball team improve greatly.

Also, Texas A&M has 10 players in the top 500, which was the most of any school that I could find. They are loaded.

Well that's already flawed as Donnie is a True Sophomore so cannot leave unless I am missing something.

Here is an excerpt from the scouting report on Sellers:

Sellers has some leverage as an eligible sophomore. He's been an inconsistent college performer, going 5-5, 5.65 with five saves, 25 strikeouts and 21 walks in 43 innings this spring. But he's an athletic righthander with arm strength, who has touched the mid-90s out of the bullpen. It’s not the same velocity every outing for Sellers. Sometimes he sits more 89-92 mph. His breaking ball flashes above-average, but is fringy at other times. Undersized at a listed 6-feet, 185 pounds, Sellers seems likely to return as a junior, as he could improve his stock with more consistency in stuff and results. But a team could bite on the projectability of his arm strength and athleticism

Not going to defend Walter much - I've been a vocal opponent of his but I don't think it much mattered what we did against TAMU. Could be the Minnesota game was us failing to bounce back or just baseball where anyone can really beat anyone. Too many factors to tell.

It is hard to say what the Well-Man will or will not do as it is his hire and given what he let go on starting back from the Jim Caldwell era of defeatism who knows. Given that the overall seven year record is now 196-198 and the Atlantic Coast Conference record is somewhere around 87-126 if you count this years tournament games, is that really improvement. Couple that with what we may or may not have coming back and what we have coming in and put in there in the mixing bowl. Walter is always the ray of eternal optimism but can he coach

There is a column in the WSJournal on-line ink on next year's baseball team. Walker discusses who might get drafted, come back,etc. Anyway, in it he states we have 6 pitchers coming in next year and he feels they will be pretty good. FWIW.

Hearing some chatter that the Mets are interested in Craig for their first pick.

Hearing some chatter that the Mets are interested in Craig for their first pick.

Yep. Most are describing it as the worst kept secret in baseball. They have pick 19 so that would be good for Will as most project him between 29-32.

I get the rule. My question is where was he in 2014 because he's not 21 yet.

The rule is this -- a player is draft eligible if he turns 21 within 45 days of the conclusion of the draft. Sellers' DOB is 7/26/95 which means he turns 21 44 days after the conclusion of the draft making him draft eligible by one day.

The rule is this -- a player is draft eligible if he turns 21 within 45 days of the conclusion of the draft. Sellers' DOB is 7/26/95 which means he turns 21 44 days after the conclusion of the draft making him draft eligible by one day.

Thanks!

Back