• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Anyone know if any of our in-coming recruits were drafted?
No Wake recruits drafted. I've seen most of these guys play on the Perfect Game circuit and 2016 unfortunately is not a strong recruiting class in terms of position players. OF Nick DiPonzio from Macon, Ga. is the only one of them who may be ready to contribute right away. There are some pretty good arms coming in though. Holden White is a big lefty out of Connecticut sits anywhere from 88-92 with his fastball and decent secondary stuff. Colin Peluse out of Delaware is a 6-3 RHP who was 88-91 his junior year of HS but had Tommy John surgery, I believe late last summer or fall. Assuming he gets back to where he was and maybe even better he is another arm who could be an impact guy as a freshman.

/\ Thanks - I did see where the coach said 6 pitchers were coming in, few details however. Hope they can help.

Big 12 has more teams in the CWS than the ACC and SEC combined.

If F$U beats UF today then there will be zero SEC teams and 2 ACC

Doesn't sound so good that none of Wake's recruits were drafted anywhere in the MLB draft. Would have thought that they should have been picked in later rounds if they were anywhere near good. Not saying Wake should have lost some in the early rounds, but having guys drafted from round 20 and later says that there is some talent that has been recognized by MLB level scouts. There were days when Wake lost potential players in the MLB draft. Those days need to return.

Pretty sure that we lost a recruit last year in the first round. Potential 5-tool OF from the north I believe.

ETA: Garret Whitley. 13th overall to the Rays.

Last edited:
Yeah. Would have been huge to have gotten Whitley on campus before he blew up. Oh well.

See ya, 'Noles! 1 ACC team in the CWS....rather disappointing.

For both the ACC & SEC. 10 bids for the ACC & 7 for the SEC with something like a record 13 of them hosting regionals, so to have only 1 from each conference get thru to the College World Series is very disappointing given the talent and fan bases.

Smart move by him. Had leverage as a junior, had a down year, is physically limited. About as good as he was gonna get

Damn, didn't recognize Will! Nice signing bonus...and good luck for a prosperous pro career.

Back