• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Preseason Discussion

From the video it looks like Manning is asking Rountree to do some more things this year. Hope the staff can help him find his role and blossom as he's always had a lot of potential.

He can do everything but shoot. If we can get him some #PaintTouches and surround him with shooters and hit cutters he could be a very nice role player.

That Roundtree interview is great. I like that kid.

Danny Manning looks like the dude from Predator, Mac.
And we'll win 12 or so games.

Dan's article today on boot camp http://m.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/...cle_5adb996d-18e3-50de-938c-8f5d36e6c7b9.html

“We’ve got to establish the fact that we’re not going to coach effort,” Manning said. “If we’ve got to coach effort, we’re not going to play you. We want to be able to coach adjustments and reads and power and things of that nature. We don’t want to coach effort.

“I think our guys understand that. And if they don’t understand it, they’ll be sitting down, watching.”

Dan's article today on boot camp http://m.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/...cle_5adb996d-18e3-50de-938c-8f5d36e6c7b9.html

“We’ve got to establish the fact that we’re not going to coach effort,” Manning said. “If we’ve got to coach effort, we’re not going to play you. We want to be able to coach adjustments and reads and power and things of that nature. We don’t want to coach effort.

“I think our guys understand that. And if they don’t understand it, they’ll be sitting down, watching.”
Sounds like the players think the new strength coach is doing a good job. Also, the "we're not going to coach effort" quote is refreshing. Play hard or sit on the bench.

I think many college athletes have to taught how to play hard. If Manning is going to get consistent effort from player to player, from game to game, from team to team, he's going to have to coach it.

I will be pulling for our team this year. I had mastered pulling against [Redacted], so this season is a whole new world. I'd still like to punch [Redacted] in the face.

I think many college athletes have to taught how to play hard. If Manning is going to get consistent effort from player to player, from game to game, from team to team, he's going to have to coach it.

I think sitting a player who doesn't give maximum effort is coaching effort. They'll get the message.

Absolutely. Particularly with a team of which one has just taken control, and has little chance to do anything significant this season.

Last edited:

Really liked that article, was coming here to post it. Hopefully the team is buying what Danny is selling.

Holy shit... listening to Manning talk about coaching/practice is such a breath of fresh air. Night and day from the last guy we had leading our team. So much less painful to listen to.

Definitely excited for this season... even though my expectations on wins & losses are low.

So much intrigue due to so many x-factors/unknowns.

Our newcomers:
- An unranked 2-star out of high school who had a decent senior mixtape (imo)
- A former Tulsa commit who had a late offer from UVA and is the brother of this year's SEC Player of the Year.
- A former 4-star recruit who is coming of an ACL injury.
- A Greek player who nearly played professionally this season.
- A graduate transfer from Campbell who has good efficiency numbers, but his total left people wondering.

Wilbekin also had offers from F$U and Texas.

Something about seeing Danny Manning in the black and gold gets me excited. Have no idea what to feel in terms of expectations, but I'm excited to see what this coaching staff can do with this group of kids. By all accounts, they are a coach-able group that seems to get along well (well not sure about the new additions so much) and maybe we'll be more than just frustrating to watch this year thanks to more consistent effort, better rotations and slightly better shooting from the perimeter? Okay, maybe I'm dreaming! :)

This was sort of covered on the recruiting thread, but what are everyone's predictions on a starting 5 this year?

I've got:

Wilbekin
CMM
McClinton
Thomas
Leonard

I will be pulling for our team this year. I had mastered pulling against [Redacted], so this season is a whole new world. I'd still like to punch [Redacted] in the face.

There should be a "Dunk a [Redacted]" tank outside the Joel this year to help fans take their frustrations out. Get some intern to dress up in a cheap suit with cheesy tie and a cardboard cut-out of JB's grimacing mug and let people chuck mini-basketballs at a target from 15' away like a FT to dunk his whiny butt in the water. This fan base needs a catharsis and then it's time to move on.

This was sort of covered on the recruiting thread, but what are everyone's predictions on a starting 5 this year?

I've got:

Wilbekin
CMM
McClinton
Thomas
Leonard

I'd say that's got to be the morning line favorite at this point. But I wonder if Crab or Overton will surprise somehow. I doubt it and I would think Wilbekin will shoulder quite a large share of the PG duties when we run set plays for CMM.

Back