• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Basketball Preseason Discussion

consensus seems to be that since name redacted left we've at least improved from bowel movement to ball movement.

oh i get it cuz ball kinda sounds like bowel and bowel movement is poop

It's unlikely we'll win many games this season. What's most important is intensity and toughness. We can build on those with more talent in 15--16.

Idk how many games we will actually win but this team is better than any of the last four based on the starting point.

It's unlikely we'll win many games this season. What's most important is intensity and toughness. We can build on those with more talent in 15--16.
Especially if the intensity and toughness is evident on defense. An improved defense could allow this team to match or exceed last years record and be competitive in every game at home and on the road.

Idk how many games we will actually win but this team is better than any of the last four based on the starting point.

Agree with this. Cav and Moto are bench guys on a decent team. Coron's defense offset his shooting and had him bouncing in and out of the starting lineup. Biggest loss is Travis who was a glue/garbage guy, but he didn't tear it up in some of our bigger wins (4 point against Notre Dame in the ACC tourney win, 8 against Clemson, zero field goals when we beat NC State, and we lost by 10 in his highest scoring game of the year against GA Tech when Codi got hurt).

Codi and Devin were the guts of this team last year and they return full strength. Madison is still an elite defender even if he's offensively challenged. If we can get just one shooter to overachieve and find someone to help Devin on the boards we could be a much better team than last year. If we don't, I still think this group, well coached, should be slightly improved over last year regardless. Of course if Codi or Devin get hurt we're still totally fucked.

Actually one of the toughest issues might be free throws. Last year we had Travis and Coron as reliable options who could be on the floor in end-game situations. We have zero now.

Down with this, Numbers. I told some of my customers the other night that, for the first time in five years, I actually know when the season starts, and against whom we play our first game.

I've yet to look up the schedule. Baby steps.

Last edited:
Moto was a much bigger loss than Cav IMO. Moto brought a lot of intensity and was making great progress offensively. Cav shot less than 30% from three while he was at Wake, and that was the best part of his offensive game.

They were very similar statistical players but Cavanaugh had a higher TS% because of his three point and free throw shooting. Moto was substantially better at rebounding. They were both guys who would have seen a good amount of time this year.

Moto brought intensity, sure. He also brought a terrible basketball IQ and a knack for pairing every good play with a horrible one. Also would have set a record for technical fouls if he'd stayed for 4 years with those elbows of his.

Both players were pretty flawed.

The first week should give us a good gauge on what the season will hold. UNC-Ash should be a win and then we head out for 2 true road games. Tulane on Monday will be beatable, but a road game is always a challenge, especially this early in the season. Then Wednesday we will be big underdogs at Arkansas and lastly back home for Friday vs Iona. 3-1 will certainly drive up the optimism, 2-2 is most likely outcome and 1-3 will project a long season hoping to find some improvement as it all unfolds. I'll give the staff credit on not fearing the challenges of playing on the road as that is a pet peeve of mine when you see teams likea Duke or Cuse that tend to play their first true road game in conference sometime in January.

Is Arkansas in one of their few good spells or are they expected to be their usually mediocre selves this coming season?

God, I am sad to realize how little I know about college hoops right now because I didn't pay any attention for 3+ years.

I saw CBS put out a Bracketology for the season and they had Arkansas in as a 10 seed.

Arkansas is projected to finish 3rd in the SEC behind Florida and Kentucky. There's a pretty big drop off between them and the top 2. They're expected to be a Top 40 team in the country.

Back